1858banner

Author Topic: almost killed a man last night  (Read 8367 times)

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• I said I never had much use for a rifle, never said I couldn't use it...
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
almost killed a man last night
« on: December 15, 2015, 10:27:02 PM »
So you need a little info first before i get to the good stuff...

I live in west by god virginia, in a 1920's build duplex house... well my neighbor is a loony left wing fruitcake that thinks the only reason people dont agree with obama is because they are all racist (how does he claim black when hes 1/2 white?) she doesnt know how large my collection of black powder weapons is and i like to keep it that way. she seams to think guns are bad and we only need police for protection but she owns a fire extinguisher... well anyway, i'm currently laid off until january right now and my girlfriend works very early hours so on nights i cant sleep i go downstairs to watch tv and sleep in my recliner couch (way more comfortable than the bed with the 2 cats, the GF and her snoring) so as to not wake her up since she has a very physical job and gets up around 3:30am... ever since i moved out of my mom's house 20 odd years ago and into the super slum ghetto third world country of baltimore, i have always slept with a gun next to me, can't sleep without it, like a security blanket of sorts... being an only child my favorite "toy" is subject to change at any time... so usually i rotate out what my bed partner revolver is, usually it's my walker with the .45colt conversion and the short barrel or my 73 C&B SAA rarely is it one of my remingtons but usually it's the walker... well here lately i have been sleeping with the walker next to me on the couch with the conversion cylinder and 6 rounds of hornady lever evolution ammo with the 9" barrel on it... well the last couple of days have been quite warm here and we have been leaving just the screen door closed to let some fresh air through. well last night my GF turned off the outside lights, shut the front door but didnt lock it and went to bed (i usually lock it when i turn off the tv to go to sleep) well i fell asleep watching breaking bad on netflix and as some of you know, netflix will automatically stop after about 2 hours of inactivity and go silent... well i wake up to my front door opening, well it kind of really half woke me up to the point i knew someone was in the family room (adjacent to the living room) but wasnt too concerned yet, kind of figured it was the GF going to work... then i hear a deep man's voice i dont recognize and open my eyes to this large dark figure standing right over me! i immediately start to fumble around on the couch next to me to try and grab the walker amidst the 3 different tv remotes we have and finally grab it and point it at mr dark figures face while cocking the hammer! mr dark practically vanishes before my eyes right as i'm about to pull the trigger! now i'm trying to gather what the hell just happened and in my adrenaline induced panic and half slumber i head for the front door and its closed and there is nobody in the family room i look outside and see nothing.... so i go through the rest of the house and find nothing, no one, no evidence of anyone being there. so my hands are shaking, i'm pumped full of adrenaline and confused as hell... so after about 2 more hours i drift back off to sleep thinking it must have been another one of my goddamn nightmares (i have them quite often)...

so i'm up this morning and make a cup of coffee and get a bowl of cat food together for the 4 senior citizen cats that we have been taking care of since the scumbuckets that used to reside across the street from me left them there when they moved (assholes). so i go out on the front porch to put the food out and my neighbor comes out her door and proceeds to tell me i nearly shot her brother last night!!! he had come in from out of town to visit and walked in the wrong door! (she had told him the door would be unlocked and it was the one on the left, her left looking out into the street, i.e. his right!) she proceeds to tell me his side of the story and by the time shes done i'm nearly pissing i'm laughing so hard! the best part was a quote from him "... and you (thinking i was her) jammed that cannon in my face and cocked the hammer! I thought you were going to just kill me!" apparently he ran out the door slamming it behind him (i do not remember hearing the door close at all) and took off down the street and ran about a mile before he came up to the gas station and waited about an hour to call her and tell her not to shoot him!!! so she gets him all calmed down over the phone and he gets back to the house and they get settled in for the night at about 1am. this is 9 this morning and he is now soooo terrified of me he is too afraid to come out of her house! well that makes me laugh even harder, by now i have tears running out of my face and hes babbling something that i cant even understand i'm laughing sooo hard and then he yells from inside her house "LUNATIC!"  (?^ after a few minutes i finally gather myself and tell her i'm going back inside and loudly tell her brother i'm not going to shoot him...

wow, just wow, what a family of pussies!!! i sure hope he doesnt see my girlfriend when she gets home tomorrow (shame that he missed her today)... she carried a 3" barreled judge magnum on her hip...

l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
Re: almost killed a man last night
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 10:36:09 PM »
Love it.

Had someone try breaking into my Rover a year ago.

Thought it was the rain rustling the tin roof, then it dawned on me the house doesn't have a tin roof.

I'd had enough Ezra, I'm glad I didn't have to shoot. But sure as shit, there was a bloke trying to break into my rig.

Asked him to stop, with the air of authority only a drunken sailor can muster, and drew a bead.

He kept yammering about how it was John Doe's truck, not mine, and blah blah blah.

Slid it off a safety notch to full cock.. repeated something to the effect of get away (most of my words rhymed with a variant of the word truck, trucking, trucker, trucked, etc) catered to the fact that I had a .44 Magnum Powered revolver
(ennh 40 gr/195grconical... Semantics)....

I was ready to plow one into the soft dirt of my Father In Laws lawn.... but he took the hint. Bob was coming out at that point, and had his taurus .44 Sat Night Special looking thing in his hands.

Glad all ended well for you.
Soaking this up like a Parched sponge.

Offline vhram

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 05:27:15 AM »
Awesome story , You got me in trouble, My wife just came into my office at 4:00 am
and told me to stop laughing so loud. I have a similar story. My son and I were off on a
prospecting trip one summer and were on the way home and stopped in a hotel for the night.
We had unpacked the 4x4 and some how my estwig pick ended up in the room. My vehicle has
 a alarm on it so in the wee hours of the mourning I hear my alarm blaring I jump up out of bed
and slam into the front door with a thud. The whole room shook. I'm yanking on the door and
cant get it open (I'm a big guy 300# 6'4") the door frame is now moving with the door. I finally
 flip the little latch and rip the door open with the pick in my hand ready to swing and find a terrified
 little old lady standing frozen in front of my door with a look of horror on her face trying to turn HER car alarm off.
Her husband actually started laughing once he realized what was going on. Eric

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 11:50:48 AM »
Great report Bruce. Was that the shorty
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 11:55:35 AM by G Dog »
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 12:28:06 PM »
  I wonder if that guy was inebriated on drugs or alcohol to make such a blunder of walking into the wrong house at night. If so, I'm sure it was a sobering experience for him. I'm glad it all worked out for the best.
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 08:02:18 PM »
 I'll tell you of a man I almost killed that I'm glad I didn't. I can't be too specific on location and date. Long ago in a land not so very far away, at the tail end of a banana war that we officially weren't involved in, I was involved in overwatch of a platoon of Engineers working a road with D7Gs, when I noticed a guy at the treeline sneaking about with a rifle in his hands, as he was about 900 yds away & there was some smoke from burning brush, that's about as specific as I could be other than he didn't appear to be wearing a uniform & had a wood stocked rifle, as did I in those days. I was observing him through a pair of issue Baush & Lomb 7X50s. By my ROE @ the time he was fair game. I was armed with a Pre-64 Model 70 bull gun that had been rechambered by MTU from 30-06 to 30-338 with a 14X Unertyl. He was well within range of not only my rifle but our Ma Duece also mounted nearby on a Duece and a half. But I didn't fire because he seemed to be ignoring the Engineers. I had my RTO call for some MPs to go check him out. Turns out he was monkey hunting with a 22 single shot.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 08:45:57 PM by M9Powell »

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 08:15:14 PM »
yolly you must of missed the part where he entered the right door based on the instructions he received.  Albeit the the instructions weren't completely accurate.  Not entirely his fault.

Suzuki  I sometime wish I had your problem this time of year.  Having to leave the door open to cool the house down.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 08:19:10 PM »
G dog, yes it was the same walker but I had the full 9"barrel on it...
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 03:41:27 AM »
 )L$ That's funny SUZUKIBRUCE. Glad you didn't have to hurt anybody. (T^
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline Classanr

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 01:20:04 PM »
yolly you must of missed the part where he entered the right door based on the instructions he received.  Albeit the the instructions weren't completely accurate.  Not entirely his fault.

Suzuki  I sometime wish I had your problem this time of year.  Having to leave the door open to cool the house down.

No, he entered the "left" door, as instructed. M__

This thread demonstrates why ships and planes have "starboard" and "port".

So, there I was, July 1993, at the oars on the group's supply boat going down the Green River in UT, approaching a major pour-over falls on some rapids.  When you do so, you have the boat going backwards, bow pointing upstream, sitting as if rowing, but you are facing downstream and you work the oars "backwards" going just a tad bit faster than the current so you maintain control.  Holding on at the stern of the boat was the group's leader facing me, and white-faced at the bow was the assistant leader, also facing me, which means those two were facing each other, me in the middle.  Without pointing, the group leader yells "Go Left!" simultaneous with the assistant leader who yelled "Go Right!"

Now, there is such a thing as "River Right".  Facing downstream going with the current, that would be your right, regardless of which way the boat is aimed.

So the question arose in my mind "His left, her right, my left, my right, boat's left as related to the river, or boat's left as related to the bow, boat's right as related to the river, or boat's right as related to the bow, river right, river left?"  Ten options and no time to get clarification.

I pulled the port oar and pushed the starboard oar to twist the boat's stern properly, yelled "Going Starboard!", and we shot through like we knew what we were doing.

Both congratulated me on "following instructions."

Right.  Errr, whatever.

And when Carol goes to bed, I walk around the house to close the doors and lock them, heat be damned.  We've had people walk into the house unannounced, excusing themselves late at night with "Oh, I thought this was a store."  Hmmmm, I do not wish to exercise my Castle Doctrine rights, and probably would lose them to unlocked/open doors anyway.

Close call, glad people only got shook over it. :-*
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 05:09:10 PM »
That's why I like Cooper's rules.  Rule 4; Know your target and what is beyond it.

Couple years ago a drunk stranger entered my brother's house, flopped down on the couch and went to sleep.  Brother just let him, then gave him a talkin' to in the morning.  No point killing someone over an honest mistake.  You cocked the hammer but didn't fire.  That's about right I guess.

Adrenaline "panic" is never a good thing though.  Don't know how to prevent it, or if it's even preventable, but it's never good.  I failed to take a shot on a deer this season because I figured I had too much adrenaline.  By the time I got my heart rate under control the shot was no longer there to take.  Got a nice young buck a few days later though, just like a coreographed dance, but adrenaline prevented my taking that perfectly good shot earlier.  Yuk!  I figure them in combat situations have a WHOLE lot more to deal with sometimes.  Deer don't shoot back.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 10:15:43 PM »
That's why I like Cooper's rules.  Rule 4; Know your target and what is beyond it.

You cocked the hammer but didn't fire.  That's about right I guess.

yeah, otherwise i would have blown a hole in his face the size of a teacup and then had to clean him off my wall and tv...lol... we (my gf and i) were talking about that earlier and she pointed out the ceiling fan, which we never turn off and is always on high, is directly in the path where his brains would have gone... what a mess that would have been!!!

i think hes going to knock on every door from now on...lol
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 04:34:09 PM »
I don't find this funny at all. You could have killed an innocent UNARMED man! Surely you could have locked the door and opened windows, turned on fans, etc. I do understand your concern though. Even with the Castle Doctrine, you could have been in deep doo- doo. We live in a more remote rural location, but we automatically lock our doors at all times as there have been some break-ins over the years. Years ago, we wouldn't have bothered to do this. And I do have a loaded gun either on my person or within easy reach of where ever I am. Like you, I don't want to be an unprepared victim.

Offline jdurand

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Mostly Harmless
    • Company web site
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 04:52:54 PM »
When I moved in here decades ago, it was my future wife and her mother living here.  They had bars on the windows and skylights but didn't always lock the doors.

Now the bars are gone but the doors are ALWAYS locked unless we're outside that door.

Times change, plus I grew up in city(ish) areas and they used to live in the mountains near here.
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Paracelsus)
NRA Life Member, Gun Owners of California member

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2015, 07:32:49 PM »
I only have 4 windows in the hole house that open that are big enough for a person to crawl through. The lowest is 5 1/2 ft off the ground. got a sliding glass door that has security glass, but a determined person could break it.  Same with picture window on the front porch.
back door (doubled have outer and inner) and front door always locked.  Never used too but like you say, times have changed.
And I always have loaded revolver close by.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776