1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Danish Rolling Block carbine  (Read 5036 times)

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Danish Rolling Block carbine
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 01:45:48 PM »
I have been doing some gentle cleaning of the rifle; the bore looks quite good. I would like to shoot the gun, at least a few times. But the question is.....which of the maybe 5 or so chamberings do I have? I just did a chamber cast, and I am thinking that I have the original Danish round which is 11.4 X 41.5R. Here you can see the chamber cast and the line where the brass ends is right at 1.60 which would be correct for that round. Now to trim up some 45-70 brass, anneal it, fire form and load!

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 03:24:56 AM »
Hm.
Mazo.
A chamber cast is a good idea and TBH i think you should have a plug made, for instance turned out of aluminium, to be able to insert into the chamber and "poke around".

Reason is simple. These guns were let out as surplus back in the day and here in Sweden alone (they were used by our armed forces too) the amount of rechamberings done is staggering.
What i´m saying is..all bets are off.

If you in this case happend to get a stock gun..good. But my advice is for you to check to be 101% certain. Again, these rifles were considered extremely strong and when let surplus many many of them were rechambered.

Now,from memory only i have a recollection of reading up on one of these guns being tested at a Swedish proof house where they shoved 800 grains of blackpowder down it´s throat and fired the thing!!
Afterwards the gun was checked very closely and..it had basically laughed at the attempt of killing it.

Recently though we had som youngster up north that found one in an outhouse and shoved a modern day powerful smokeless cartridge down its throat, that didn´t end to well...the 24yr old died as it blew up.
DVC - 2019

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2019, 05:14:26 PM »
I have taken those obscene PB out-of-focus pictures and replaced them....again! At least most of the ones in this post; there are many more to go.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 05:54:10 PM by mazo kid »

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2019, 10:58:57 AM »
I have taken those obscene PB out-of-focus pictures and replaced them....again! At least most of the ones in this post; there are many more to go.

There are still a few up, Em. Scroll up a few posts...
I hate to keep ranting about PB but they continue to piss me off by emailing me weekly and reminding me that I am "over my limit" and need to pay them money to keep my pictures. >:(
To add insult to injury, they inform me that now they have reduced their fee to $4.00 and change...monthly...from exorbitant $400.00 yearly blackmail fee they were originally asking. Which makes one wonder...did the give refunds out to the poor bastards that paid the ransom? My guess is, no. They probably issued them a 'lifetime credit'.
I still see the carnage they have caused on multiple forums every single day. I am serious when I suggest what they did is criminal and the people in charge should be jailed or steeply fined for all the damage they caused.
Suppose for a moment that you had a new roof put on your house four years ago. Now, suppose you get a letter from the roofer stating that his fees have gone up and you now owe an additional $10,000.00 or they will staple tarps over your shingles, and if you don't pay up, they will come by after a year and begin removing shingles until you get down to a certain level. Preposterous, I know. But is it really so much different?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"