1858banner

Author Topic: Gun oil  (Read 11830 times)

Offline Mike B.

Gun oil
« on: August 22, 2015, 06:55:19 PM »
I've always cleaned my rifles with warm water in a bucket with a bit of dawn dish washing soap, dried it good and then gave it a coat of Ballistol.

Recently I heard of a guy who uses olive oil instead of gun oil or ballistol. Doesn't want any petroleum based products in his barrels.

Was wondering if olive oil would give the barrel the protection it needs?

Any thoughts?   
We were made to participate in real life; not to be passive observers of another's imagination communicated through advanced technology.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

Re: Gun oil
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 07:05:39 PM »
In my Long Guns I use Dreft for cleaning mixed with water as hot as I can stand, then rinse with
clear hot water. I usually remove the nipple and flush with clear hot water poured through a funnel.
Then after dried I always used Thompson Center Bore Butter, both inside & outside.
It seems to work, no rust & smells good too.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 07:11:44 PM by AntiqueSledMan »

Offline Mike B.

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 07:14:59 PM »
In my Long Guns I use Dreft for cleaning mixed with water as hot as I can stand, then rinse with
clear hot water. I usually remove the nipple and flush with clear hot water poured through a funnel.
Then after dried I always used Thompson Center Bore Butter, both inside & outside.
It seems to work, no rust & smells good too.

I've never used bore Butter, but have many friends that use it and they really like it.  Do you think olive oil is enough to protect a barrel from rust?  I'm not going to stop using Ballistol, just curious about the olive oil.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 07:20:04 PM by Mike B. »
We were made to participate in real life; not to be passive observers of another's imagination communicated through advanced technology.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 07:29:13 PM »
Ballistol is great stuff for bp firearms, I just don't like the smell. I use olive oil for patches and wads but I do not think I would want to use it for rust protection.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 07:35:57 PM »
I have used olive oil in the bore between shooting sessions for rust prevention.  I have never had rust anywhere where I used olive oil.  Jojoba oil is good too.  It is supposed to be the nearest thing to sperm whale oil which was used by the old timers. 

Olive oil has worked well for me as a bore rust preventative. 

Hawg, talk about the down side of olive oil for rust prevention.  Thanks.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 09:02:39 PM »

Hawg, talk about the down side of olive oil for rust prevention.  Thanks.

I don't know that there is a down side unless maybe it goes rancid if it sits too long. I just never thought it would be good for rust prevention.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 09:35:28 PM »
I sometimes think RemOil (spray can and little bottle)may be about as all around good as it gets.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 06:44:35 AM »
That's what I use mostly but I take care to keep it out of the bore and chambers. It really wouldn't matter as long as you cleaned it all out before loading/firing.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 07:05:12 AM »
I have been using ATF on the outside of my guns.

I stopped putting olive oil on the outside of my guns because over time it gets sticky.
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 09:03:54 AM »
I used break free as long as Uncle Sugar provided it. After I ran out of my last stash after retirement I've been using plain ole 3 in one. Seems to work well. Hadji mostly uses burnt motor oil on his AK  ->i. I've recently came into 3 cans of Rem-oil. Seems just like the 3 in 1.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 09:13:40 AM »
I like 3 in 1 for a wipe down but it's hard to find around here. That's all my dad used until he discovered WD-40. So to me a gun isn't really clean unless it smells like 3 in 1. I have used ATF. I'm not crazy about the smell but it sure makes the parkerizing on my 1911 look good.

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 10:06:04 AM »
 Wally world has it over with the power tools. I like the new "marksmen" extendable spout that lets you get into all the nooks and crannies. Plus it's cheap. I was recently staying in a motel room and had my buffalo revolver stashed in a locked footlocker in there. I left out @ 4 Am on Tuesday. Got back at 6 PM on a Friday. According to the maintenance man there which I've gotten to know pretty well the room above mine devolped a leak tuesday morning and flooded my room. It was in a pistol rug in the footlocker which was wet enough to wring water out of. It got wet enough that the grips swelled. But not a spec of rust. The 3 in 1 did pretty good.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 10:45:37 AM »
I have several gun oils on the bench....Browning, Hoppe's, mil-surp, etc. as well as Ballistol. IMO, Ballistol will not cause any gummy goo with black powder fouling. I use it as patch lube (mixed with beeswax, tallow, etc.) and it works well. Ballistol is made from medicinal grade mineral oil, will remove traces of lead, and is an anti-oxidant (prevents oxygen from reacting with steel). It won't get sticky or tacky and seems to penetrate the pores in steel and last a long time. Can you tell I like it? Oh, and if you should cut yourself while cleaning your favorite black powder gun, just put a little Ballistol on the wound.... it is an antiseptic too!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 11:03:21 AM »
I have never used any Ballistol...I'll have to try some.  (T^
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 11:15:28 AM »
 I bought 1 small can of it. Seemed awfully pricey to me. If it's mineral oil, why not just use mineral oil? Be a lot cheaper than that stuff.