1858banner

Author Topic: Sharon Barreled Underhammer in .54 cal  (Read 5871 times)

Offline BartSr

• Muzzle Loaders are Fun
    • Love of Muzzle Loaders
Sharon Barreled Underhammer in .54 cal
« on: July 07, 2015, 08:29:47 PM »
I picked up a .54 cal Sharon barrel (purported) along with an unfinished underhammer action.  I've heard from internet lingo that these barrels are really good ones.  I did make another hammer as the business end of the original hammer was too close to the plug seal.  Made the new hammer about 3/8 inch longer.  Hammer still needs finishing but it pops a cap.  Plug is a 3/4 inch x 16 threads/inch and is turned down to fit in to the action block's 5/8 inch hole where the set screws are.  This thing is way front heavy as the barrel is 1+1/8 inch across the flats.  It's a benchrest shooter.  Still needs front and rear sights that will clear the action block heighth.  Piece of Cherry for the stock purchased at Timber Hardwoods in Mesa, AZ.

Ink line on the tape stuck to the barrel marks the end of the plug, for nipple placement.

Loud noise is my rather large swamp cooler as the temp outside is 105F.
Cap Popping MP4 on my u.tube

Need to find some .530 RB's.  My range ramrod just fits with an inch to spare.

Paul
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 08:39:02 PM by BartSr »
Paul
Making Underhammers and Muleys too.
NMLRA & NRA EPL, Muzzleloader Mag.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Sharon Barreled Underhammer in .54 cal
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 08:58:18 PM »
I can't wait to see the finished rifle Paul. (T^
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 09:15:46 PM »
Nice! The barrel "should" be marked as to maker. I have a Sharon barrel, I'll look and see if it is marked. Who made the under hammer action...Allen?

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 04:51:39 PM »
I checked my barrel and it is stamped as to maker and caliber. Picture soon.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 04:57:07 PM »

Offline BartSr

• Muzzle Loaders are Fun
    • Love of Muzzle Loaders
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 09:56:51 AM »
Nice! The barrel "should" be marked as to maker. I have a Sharon barrel, I'll look and see if it is marked. Who made the under hammer action...Allen?

@mazo: I assume it came from here.
Underhammer Parts

No stampings whatsoever on the barrel.
I was told that it's related to John McCormick (sp?) and Sharon Rifle Barrel Co. with no way to find out for sure.

Paul

Edit: more info.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 10:02:39 AM by BartSr »
Paul

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 02:17:34 PM »
If it is the Billinghurst, that price isn't too bad. Yeah, Sharen Rifle Co. has been gone 30 years or more. They did make some great shooting barrels, also one of the best Hawken rifles on the market.

Offline BartSr

• Muzzle Loaders are Fun
    • Love of Muzzle Loaders
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 05:23:56 PM »
Off to the range today.  Had to stop at Sportsman's Warehouse (on the way) and pick up some .530 RB's.
Was a bit windy today but not bad.
Started at 25yds, 55gr of FFFg Goex (may have to use FFg), .530 RB, 0.012 patch lubed with bore-butter.
POI at dead center.  Shoots a bit high, remember this is first time out with this "rifle".
Then tried some of the smaller diamonds just to see if this type of target works for me.

After shooting at the target I tried the 300yd gongs still using 55grs.
Was the correct height but about 6 feet to the right. WooHoo.  {?|

Rear Sight:
It's a MKII sight with a brass tube inside which is plumber silver soldered to a steel base.
It broke loose after about 8 shots, I hit it on the edge of the bench lifting it up to shoot just one more shot. Grrr. ^y%

Front Sight: a bit ugly and it's what's left of a 1982 Peso.  I needed the heighth for that rear sight to work.  May have to change all sights out for lower ones, we'll see.

Now to finish some of the wood work in this 108F heat  (u^

I think I need to make a wood stand for bench shooting.  Too much drop in the stock for bench rest shooting.  It's 15 inches from trigger to shoulder and fits me.

Paul

« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 05:34:33 PM by BartSr »
Paul

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 07:12:51 PM »
I picked up a .54 cal Sharon barrel (purported) along with an unfinished underhammer action.  I've heard from internet lingo that these barrels are really good ones.  I did make another hammer as the business end of the original hammer was too close to the plug seal.  Made the new hammer about 3/8 inch longer.  Hammer still needs finishing but it pops a cap.  Plug is a 3/4 inch x 16 threads/inch and is turned down to fit in to the action block's 5/8 inch hole where the set screws are.  This thing is way front heavy as the barrel is 1+1/8 inch across the flats.  It's a benchrest shooter.  Still needs front and rear sights that will clear the action block heighth.  Piece of Cherry for the stock purchased at Timber Hardwoods in Mesa, AZ.

Ink line on the tape stuck to the barrel marks the end of the plug, for nipple placement.

Loud noise is my rather large swamp cooler as the temp outside is 105F.
Cap Popping MP4 on my u.tube

Need to find some .530 RB's.  My range ramrod just fits with an inch to spare.

Paul

I got some hand cast .530 round balls       $13   for 50 plus shipping  Possible discount for a larger amount. PM me if interested.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline BartSr

• Muzzle Loaders are Fun
    • Love of Muzzle Loaders
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 07:21:51 PM »
I picked up some .535 RB's today as my supply of .530 RB's was getting low.

All of my patches (ranging from 0.015 to 0.018 to 0.022 inches thick) are coming out totally shredded, DARN!  (u^  ^y%
So my shots are all over the place, say 1 foot spread at 50yds.  }),

So I got some stainless steel wool pads and ran small pieces of it wth a jag up and down the barrel internals.  Maybe that'll knock off some of the pointy things that are shredding those patches.  Comments Welcomed here.

Paul
Paul

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 12:48:00 PM »
Is the muzzle end of the barrel crowned? If not, that will cause patch shredding on loading.

Offline BartSr

• Muzzle Loaders are Fun
    • Love of Muzzle Loaders
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 02:02:21 PM »
Is the muzzle end of the barrel crowned? If not, that will cause patch shredding on loading.

It is now.  And I need 0.520 round balls.  I shoved/crammed/hammered some 0.535 balls through a 0.520 ID tube to get some "belted" balls that work great with thick denim patches (0.030).  {:(

I've been looking high/low for a dual mold (not six as TOTW has) or cheap RB's but not much out there.
Would love to get some local to keep from paying shipping, HA!  ^y%

Paul

Paul

Offline BartSr

• Muzzle Loaders are Fun
    • Love of Muzzle Loaders
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 11:15:54 AM »
I have a multi-paged article on American Longrifles Forum.  I am getting all kinds of information there.  Mostly on how my ball size is wrong as is my patch thickness for that barrel only.  One of the folks there suggested I get Railroad Ticking which should be 0.023+ thick.  All of the ticking available out here (in the wild west) is no more that 0.015 thick, be it red or blue.  Completely worthless in this barrel.

Currently I am using 0.530 RB's and have ordered a Lee mold for these.
Patches are 0.030 and/or 0.024 denim patches, ones that will not and do not shred.

For instance, I tried a Hornady .50 cal 385gr pre-lubed "bullet" and one of those 0.03 patches.  Thought I'd have a panic attack as it would hardly go down the barrel.  After much yanking on the T-handled aluminum range rod, it finally hit bottom. And shot within 1 inch of POI.  Not doing that again, too much effort for that kind of pleasure.  Besides the watchers at that shooting range were starting to call me "pipebomb" and were waiting to see if it would explode.
Nope, din't.

Tried another shot with one of those Hornady bullets with a 0.024 duck or sail type fabric, nice loading effort there and not shredded.

I have been wrapping stainless steel wool around my .50 jag and "smoothing" the ID of said barrel.  So far no special results.

Stumped,  (u^  ^y%
Paul
Paul

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 11:27:22 AM »
"Pipebomb"! Heh!  (?^    (T^
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!