1858banner

Author Topic: Pseudo "Peabody Action", Huh?  (Read 3456 times)

Offline BartSr

• Muzzle Loaders are Fun
    • Love of Muzzle Loaders
Pseudo "Peabody Action", Huh?
« on: June 28, 2015, 02:41:58 PM »
OK, at the range today, one of the regulars handed to me this action connected to a metal stock (partly broken stock).
Written on it is "Peabody Action" but not like any I've seen.  This puppy may be a one-off but the internals look like a purchased unit even though the box looks rough.  This fella wants me to purchase it for $50 and make "something" out of it, told me to take it home to investigate it.  The metal stock is bolted to the box and does come off.

How it came to me, trigger hand grip above, broken loose.

Internals sitting at half-cock.

Right side or hammer side at half-cock:

If anyone has info on this "box" action, holler back.
If anyone has a barrel laying around, holler too.

Paul
https://sites.google.com/site/onlyonsaturdaynight/home/peabody-action
Paul
Making Underhammers and Muleys too.
NMLRA & NRA EPL, Muzzleloader Mag.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Pseudo "Peabody Action", Huh?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 05:25:26 PM »
Hmmm, I have never seen anything like that action. Also, most Peabody action barrels have a threaded shank on the barrel, not a female threaded barrel. Any idea what the thread size is? Pretty hard to recommend a barrel without knowing thread size.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 05:32:29 PM »
It also appears (at least to me) that the action is maybe hand made. If not, then a small parts supplier. I hope you come up with some info you can share!

Offline BartSr

• Muzzle Loaders are Fun
    • Love of Muzzle Loaders
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 09:18:56 PM »
Hmmm, I have never seen anything like that action. Also, most Peabody action barrels have a threaded shank on the barrel, not a female threaded barrel. Any idea what the thread size is? Pretty hard to recommend a barrel without knowing thread size.
Without measuring with a DIE, my measurements suggest 3/4 inch by 16 threads/inch.
And it's indeed 1 + 1/2 inch across the flats of the snail.

Paul
Paul

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 11:06:23 PM »
You can put any barrel you like on there of course, in any caliber, so long as it has enough "meat" at the breech end after it's threaded to match that breech plug.  That'll take some good measuring and lathe work, is all.

You don't need a die set to measure threads, and anyway that's only a last-resort method if you have a set of dies and not the proper tools.  You measure the pitch with a pitch gauge.  Those usually run around five to ten dollars, and you'll want to have two of them; one in metric and one in SAE.  A set of taps makes a decent pitch gauge, assuming you have a complete set, but you want the pitch gauge anyway.  It's much simpler and easier than handling separate taps, AND it allows you measure very short threaded portions very close to a shoulder or head-- you can do that with a tap unless it's a bottoming tap.  So a little old, cheap pitch gauge is even better than having a complete set of bottoming taps when it comes to determining the pitch of ANY screw or shaft.

The diameter is measured across the tips of the threads (major diameter) using a micrometer or dial caliper.  There's a tolerance there, so in other words the actual diameter will typically be smaller than the stated (or official) thread diameter-- Don't let that confuse you.

Looks like an interesting piece you have there in any case.  I like how the sear spring is integral with the main spring.  Pretty neat.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline BartSr

• Muzzle Loaders are Fun
    • Love of Muzzle Loaders
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 08:30:32 PM »
Looks like this action will be going back to the owner.

Paul
Paul

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 08:51:08 PM »
Looks like this action will be going back to the owner.

Paul

That sounds like a good idea Paul.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 05:00:58 PM »
I agree! I don't know where the Peabody action name comes from, but most Peabody actions are dropping block center fire as far as I know.