1858banner

Author Topic: Remington Pocket No. 2 w/trigger guard?  (Read 12967 times)

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Remington Pocket No. 2 w/trigger guard?
« on: May 20, 2015, 01:17:56 PM »
Did Remington make a Pocket with a trigger guard ?  I have seen pictures of the Remington Pocket .31 (usually a .32 short cart gun) that are the same as the one with the spur trigger except that they had a trigger guard.  Did Remington do this or is it an aftermarket addition?

Would appreciate any information on this.  Photos too if available.  Thanks.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Reverend Bow

Re: Remington Pocket No. 2 w/trigger guard?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 02:59:21 PM »
Did Remington make a Pocket with a trigger guard ?  I have seen pictures of the Remington Pocket .31 (usually a .32 short cart gun) that are the same as the one with the spur trigger except that they had a trigger guard.  Did Remington do this or is it an aftermarket addition?

Would appreciate any information on this.  Photos too if available.  Thanks.

G Dog.. You been watching Pale Rider as well?

I was asking the same thing about Preacher's Backup in that movie...

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 03:05:07 PM »
I have not watched that lately but, while looking into this, did run across the .31 you refer to that's in the movie.  I learned that it was an after market modification with the trigger guard replacing the spur housing set up.

Thanks for your response. (T^
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 03:11:07 PM »
This is the one in the movie Pale Rider.

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Pale_Rider
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 03:15:45 PM by G Dog »

Offline Reverend Bow

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 04:32:49 PM »
Yup, that's the one!

That website says the trigger and the trigger guard were added to replace the spur style...

Even if it is a Hollywood special, I wonder how hard it would be to do?

What has a similar size frame to the 1863 that the trigger guard could be taken from?

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 04:34:45 PM »

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 05:57:46 PM »
Hmm, OK.  I had been resigned to the idea that Pale Rider must have had a short barreled, 36 Police model, but never having handled a Police or a Pocket I didn't have the scale right.  Might could be that a Police model trigger guard could be shaved down to fit the Pocket.  Then again, anyone competent in the art of investment casting as used for jewelry-making would have little trouble making one from scratch, using the spur guard as a model.  It wouldn't be any more expensive than a large brass wedding ring.  Why go to that bother for the movie, is my question, unless someone had had it made up already for personal use?
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Reverend Bow

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 06:30:55 PM »
Interesting G Dog...

I do see the resemblance...

Hmm, OK.  I had been resigned to the idea that Pale Rider must have had a short barreled, 36 Police model, but never having handled a Police or a Pocket I didn't have the scale right.  Might could be that a Police model trigger guard could be shaved down to fit the Pocket.  Then again, anyone competent in the art of investment casting as used for jewelry-making would have little trouble making one from scratch, using the spur guard as a model.  It wouldn't be any more expensive than a large brass wedding ring.  Why go to that bother for the movie, is my question, unless someone had had it made up already for personal use?

If one could properly scale it, you might be able the cylinder diameter and see if it is a .31 or a .36...

that .05 difference should be easy to spot...  (^h

Is it a 1863 with a "adjusted" Police trigger guard?

In G Dog's photos, the trigger guard looks like a standard size, or close to it to my eyes...

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 07:11:20 PM »
This looks like the same 'Clintwood' gun as above, maybe even the same photograph.  Gives some scale as Rev. Bow mentioned.

More scale.  I may be using a members photo here that I can't credit. Good photo.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 07:37:24 PM »
RevBow; I was referring more to the frame sizes, which are more substantially different between the Remington Police and Remington Pocket than the mere caliber difference.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 07:46:16 PM »
Here's the sort of scaling I had in mind.  Note photo of gun in hand.  New Model Police factory conversion.  They did come in a variety of barrel lengths;

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/9036925

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 08:09:42 PM »

Offline Reverend Bow

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 09:25:46 PM »
I think I may have found a lead...

http://www.american-firearms.com/american-firearms/z-html/company-E/E.%20Remington%20&%20Sons/E.%20Remington%20&%20Sons.html

New Model Police Revolver
.36 caliber percussion, 5 shot single action revolver, 3 1/2", 4 1/2", 5 1/2", 6 1/2" octagon barrel
marked: PATENTED SEPT. 14, 1858

The object in which we have been researching...

Looks like a 3 1/2" barrel
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 09:36:55 PM by Reverend Bow »

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 09:56:13 PM »

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 01:45:59 AM »
RevBow's two photos show conversion guns, probably in what were called "38" rimfire, though the "New Model Police" was originally a percussion gun.  They still carry their loading levers.

On a side note; that was the period in which a 44 became a 45 and a 36 became a 38, the convention of naming caliber after the bore diameter changing to naming it after the groove diameter.  A third step, which resulted on our strange naming of a .357" groove diameter as a "38" and a grove diameter of .429" as a "44" was to take the heeled, outside lubed 38 and 44 and reduce the bullet diameter so the whole thing, with its line grooves, could fit inside the case diameter that came about during the cartridge conversion period.  The 44 Long Colt had a .429 heel you see, and the 38 had a .357" heel.

So (takes deep breath) the 36 became a 38 which became a 357 and the 44 which became a 45 resulted in the .429 as a 44.  M'kay?  And those two guns there are examples of that period of confusion that we still live with today.