1858banner

Author Topic: How I found LOTS of Gold.  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Etek

How I found LOTS of Gold.
« on: April 10, 2015, 07:37:46 PM »
Of course I tried panning and going into old shafts and tunnels in the California 'gold country' back in 1980 but we found little gold.

My buddy Mike went to the BLM and got maps of old mines. We found the mines and the old bigger rock tailing piles and went over them with one guy in front with a (Home made) detector and the guy behind tossing off the top layer of rocks.

Remember that 160 years ago the miners tunneling ONLY went after the lode or seam of gold. Any rock outside the seam was inspected for visible gold and if none seen it was tossed onto the tailing pile. Now these piles were sometimes 1/4 mile long and just a few feet high and lots of these quartz rocks contained unseen gold. LOTS of gold! Prettiest thing you ever saw was 3/4-5/8 ounce of gold hidden inside a chunk of quartz.

Gold was $750+ an ounce at the time (Up from barely $275 in 1978) so a corporation was formed with 5 investors. Mike's uncle provided transportation vehicles and we all went out on rotating weekends with detectors on the old tailing piles.

For the actual time spent on the rock piles it paid EACH investor about $100.00 per hour.
Lots of fun but 3 of the 5 investors never went out prospecting, all they wanted was $$ and Mike's Aunt (Bitch) killed the goose that laid the Golden Egg.

I went back east as I'd had my fill of California and its assorted weirdness.

Had a great time there I must admit as we visited Angels Camp, and lots of other old gold sites and even mined Cinnabar (Mercury Ore) at New Almaden . Don't get me started on Gold or Mercury processing!

At the time we carried a Browning Model 1910 in .32 ACP with a ruined bore, a .50 'Kentucky' percussion pistol and later an 1858 Remington (Pietta?) in .44.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• I said I never had much use for a rifle, never said I couldn't use it...
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
Re: How I found LOTS of Gold.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 11:08:01 PM »
i have always wanted to try my hand at prospecting but like you said, too much weirdness out there on the left coast...
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline Electric Miner

• Forum Legend
Re: How I found LOTS of Gold.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 08:26:52 AM »
A lot of the mining companies are going back and reprocessing old tailings piles now, since with modern processes they can get quite a bit of gold that was once ignored.
Navy Veteran
American Legion Member
NRA member