1858banner

Author Topic: Do you keep your BP revolvers loaded?  (Read 17629 times)

Offline Branko

Re: Do you keep your BP revolvers loaded?
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2016, 05:43:23 AM »
As far as self-defense in the home, the rationale of most variants of "castle law" in the states is that it is reasonable to assume that anyone who forcibly enters your home with an intent to commit a felony can be reasonably assumed to be a threat to life, hence, using deadly force is justified. Here this assumption is not granted automatically to the homeowner, and every case will be examed in detail during trial. Basically, some sound judgement is required on part of the home owner who resorts to deadly force. If you think along the lines of "is it really necessary for me to shoot right now" and the answer is "yes" then you will likely be alright in court. The few people I personally know who did bring their guns out to bear for home defense did not need to fire a shot, and that is ideal in every way.

On the upside, civil lawsuits are not going to happen as much because the amount which can be obtained in damages is much more limited on one hand, and on the other the one who files a lawsuit, if they lose they have to pay both court fines and legal bills for both parties (even travel expenses, everything). Suing someone in a civil lawsuit can be a risky proposition, unless the case is pretty clear. This is to dissuade people suing each other frivolously.

We've digressed from the topic of keeping loaded BP guns, though. Here cartridge guns must be stored and transported unloaded and with ammo in a separate compartment (storage in a safe affixed to the floor/wall/etc), but storage requirement applies only to cartridge guns and storage of BP guns is as of now not regulated.

So it is legal to keep them loaded and normally I do have a cylinder ready to go; I have to clean one cylinder less after shooting. Of course the police recommend that you store BP guns in a safe, too and with three small children in the house, I definitely agree with that. However it's handy that you can keep them out of the safe, so if you have some old muzzle-loaders which you want to display on a stand you are free to do so.

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2016, 06:36:47 AM »
I'm pretty sure that a .454 round ball stuffed into any of my chambers doesn't really care if anyone thinks it's lethal or not, and the millions of folks who died from being shot with a percussion revolver would vouch for it's effectiveness as a defensive arm, irrespective of your perceptions of it's lethality.
                                                                                                                 Having said that rest assured it wouldn't be my "ideal" choice, but if it came to "nut-cutting" and all I had was my .44 Remmy, I'd feel well-armed enough to confront whatever threat I encountered (if it was more than two idiots with assault weapons, well I'm quite certain that after a head shot they wouldn't care if'n I borrowed whatever they were armed with)!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 06:42:25 AM by old fogey »

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2016, 03:36:04 PM »
Yes I always keep my Baby Remington .31 loaded, both cylinders loaded one in the gun. I keep that little gun in my pocket, always.

I keep one of my .44 1858's loaded also within reach in the house. That hopefully would give me time to get to my Mossberg Maverick 12g pump 20" 8 shot kept by the side of the bed during the night and hidden in the room during the day.

I do take the BP revolvers to the range and shoot them, clean them and re-load them once a week.

Unfortunately due to legal Spanish restrictions my Glock 17's and Norinco pistols have to be locked up in a homologated Police approved safe when not in use.

No such restriction on .22lr rifles (my Smith and Wesson MP15), shotguns or BLACK POWDER REVOLVERS.

ALWAYS carefully loaded and always ready.

Offline Branko

« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2016, 06:39:22 AM »
While there's no requirement here for BP gun storage (otherwise, here all cartridge guns must be stored unloaded in a safe), probably, to allow people to display that family heirloom muzzleloader on a stand - I do keep my revolvers locked in an electronic combination safe. Loaded guns and children don't mix, and in case of some dire emergency, I can open the safe in a few seconds. It's rather peaceful here and I don't feel the need to have a gun in reach every second (if the situation changes, you do what you have to do, but that's how it is now). Of course, if someone feels the need to, well, their choice what to do, not going to argue either way.

My BP guns are for range shooting and competition, but in the gravest extreme, they have a pretty proven track record.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2016, 09:18:49 AM »
Luckily here in the USA we are not yet mandated to keep personal guns in a safe.
But I can see that changing in the near future especially if Hillary is elected.
Hopefully they will indict her on something first, but not likely.

No matter how quick and easy a safe is declared to be able to be opened, Murphy's law will be applied. If anything can go wrong, it will and at the worst possible moment, doing the most amount of damage.

Well we are talking about someones life here.

I have a legally short Shotgun by the bed but also keep the 44 BP 5 1/2" Remington close by.  Yes it is always loaded.
My cartridge guns are also close by.
But since I was young, I always favored these BP guns. Just more interesting in their early history.  They have character!

We talk of famous western personalities ( hickock, Earp, buffalo bill) sometimes with reverence, mostly with awe.  As we were raised on tales of their exploits.
Who in our current time do we remember along the same lines?  On a near daily basis?
No one really. Those days are over.  At least until the next revolution and the kids then will look for new ones.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2016, 05:27:40 PM »

We talk of famous western personalities ( hickock, Earp, buffalo bill) sometimes with reverence, mostly with awe.  As we were raised on tales of their exploits.
Who in our current time do we remember along the same lines?  On a near daily basis?
No one really. Those days are over.  At least until the next revolution and the kids then will look for new ones.

Not current but in the cartridge era, I'd say Sgt York, Audie Murphy, Hathcock, several German & Finnish snipers, even some Soviet snipers. I can't remember his name or even if he was Army or Marine but a young man in Korea was found dead with dozens of dead gooks and a pile of empty BAR mags & 30/06 brass. There was a recent spec-ops guy killed a bunch of ragheads with a heavy barrel M16 marksmen rifle who started out using it as a sniper rifle & ended up using it as a LMG. And just to give the Devil his due Otto Skorzeny was a pretty famous Nazi as were some of the Tiger crews. There is always the Red Baron, a Saxon BTW.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 05:46:08 PM by M9Powell »

Offline Sheriff Langston

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2016, 11:17:08 AM »
Currently probably Chris Kyle (American Sniper) because of the movie, but there are others like the (unnamed for security reasons Brit) that capped 6 Hajjis with one round, or the Canadian who set the long range record at over a mile.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/10735666/British-sniper-in-Afghanistan-kills-six-Taliban-with-one-bullet.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Harrison_%28sniper%29

Its easy to forget the lens of history compresses things quite a bit so it seems there were more concurrent shootists back then, when in reality there was quite a lot of time interval between say Adobe wells & the OK corral.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 11:21:34 AM by Sheriff Langston »

Offline snake-eyes

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Erin Go Bragh
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2016, 12:56:17 PM »
Sheriff,
          You make some very good points  (T^
snake-eyes  )&&
Member: NRA
Member: Columbus Muzzleloading Gun Club
Co-Founder and charter member: Traditional M/L Ass.
www.TraditionalMuzzleloadingassociation.com
If you come to a fork in the road,take it! Yogi Berra

Ever wonder who God roots for in a religious war??

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2016, 01:03:36 PM »
you guys right here
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline snake-eyes

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Erin Go Bragh
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2016, 01:15:50 PM »
you guys right here who are my personal contemporary heroes
G Dog,
           (T^   Sure can't argue with that thinking.
snake-eyes  )&&    :9)
Member: NRA
Member: Columbus Muzzleloading Gun Club
Co-Founder and charter member: Traditional M/L Ass.
www.TraditionalMuzzleloadingassociation.com
If you come to a fork in the road,take it! Yogi Berra

Ever wonder who God roots for in a religious war??

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2016, 04:44:32 PM »
I currently have a Remington Army at home loaded, all six, hammer in safety notch, in a holster with a stout hammer thong holding it all together.  I consider it as "safe" as any loaded forearm.  But as has been said; "Is gun.  Is not safe."  The 30 to 40 pounds of gunpowder stored here and there about the house is likely the greater danger, technically speaking.  Greatest of all though is getting behind the wheel of a motor vehicle and driving at closing speeds of 120 to 140 MPH on the highway mere feet away from traffic coming in the opposite direction.

Say what you will about gun safety, but several of my friends have died in traffic accitents and none have been shot, either by accident or on purpose.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline jdurand

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Mostly Harmless
    • Company web site
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2016, 05:31:29 PM »
My wife was shot as a kid (other kid playing with gun) but that's an idiot parent problem.
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Paracelsus)
NRA Life Member, Gun Owners of California member

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2016, 07:54:53 PM »
My wife was shot as a kid (other kid playing with gun) but that's an idiot parent problem.

I grew up in a house with 7 kids & loaded guns everywhere.  They were simply hung on the wall out of reach of a toddler. By the time we were big enough to reach them, we were shooting squirrels & rabbits. We knew the difference in a real gun & a capbuster. Real guns were for killing, cap busters for playing cowboys & injuns. We did get a little out of hand shooting each other with BB guns loaded with hard purple berries off of bushs. We did get the brite idea  (k^ to load a superball in a 12 guage, but luckily we tested it first on a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood leaned against the outhouse. Busted it. Hmm better not shoot each other with that, I know we'll shoot that old mean bull in the    (8*  with it.  &j? B))
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 08:17:36 PM by M9Powell »

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2016, 09:42:13 PM »
"I know we'll shoot that old mean bull in the    (8*  with it.  &j? B))"

NAW!! a supper ball out of a shotgun. ->I  I haft to keep that in mine.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2016, 12:31:28 AM »
Luckily here in the USA we are not yet mandated to keep personal guns in a safe.
But I can see that changing in the near future especially if Hillary is elected.
Hopefully they will indict her on something first, but not likely.

No matter how quick and easy a safe is declared to be able to be opened, Murphy's law will be applied. If anything can go wrong, it will and at the worst possible moment, doing the most amount of damage.

Well we are talking about someones life here.

I have a legally short Shotgun by the bed but also keep the 44 BP 5 1/2" Remington close by.  Yes it is always loaded.
My cartridge guns are also close by.
But since I was young, I always favored these BP guns. Just more interesting in their early history.  They have character!