1858banner

Author Topic: Do you keep your BP revolvers loaded?  (Read 17216 times)

Offline Bishop Creek

Re: Do you keep your BP revolvers loaded?
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2015, 09:18:16 PM »
I third that.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2015, 09:59:52 PM »
Yep, I agree also. Someone said "my pistol is only used to enable me to put the shotgun into play"! My pistol (semi-auto) is loaded within reach of bed and the shotgun is leaning against the wall. And no, I don't keep any black powder guns loaded.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2015, 01:48:19 PM »
Yes sir, .45 ACP to get ya to yer next loaded shotgun.  I do keep one .44 Remington cylinder loaded with 35 grains and a .454 to occasionally put in the Remington 5.5 or 8 inch for handling and weight appreciation and the fantasy shot I may get someday on one of the many mountain lions we keep around here.  If a puma gets around my place (it happens) I want to shoot with some style and a .44 Remington has plenty of just that sort of thing.

For human predators though - a pump gauge and a .45 ACP is difficult to improve upon for being rigged up and ready for a bad time and trouble.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2015, 03:01:54 PM »
As an answer to the thread headline "Do you keep your BP revolvers loaded? ", my answer is yes, after having read some posts on how long you can keep them loaded and still functioning, I wanted to test. Seems to work out just fine. And when you get down to all the paraphernalia of cleaning after shooting, and all the stuff is around, why not load up?

As to Hawg's treatise on shotgun supremacy, I think it is very well formulated (if you forgive my heresy, it sounds something like "I believe in God, the 2nd Amen and the Holy Shotgun")

Offline snake-eyes

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Erin Go Bragh
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2015, 01:40:43 PM »
Len,
       I know about believing in God and shotgun.I was wondering if Sweden has a
2nd amendment or other type protection for gun ownership & possesion.  (^h
snake-eyes  )&&
Member: NRA
Member: Columbus Muzzleloading Gun Club
Co-Founder and charter member: Traditional M/L Ass.
www.TraditionalMuzzleloadingassociation.com
If you come to a fork in the road,take it! Yogi Berra

Ever wonder who God roots for in a religious war??

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2015, 02:56:50 PM »
Len,
       I know about believing in God and shotgun.I was wondering if Sweden has a
2nd amendment or other type protection for gun ownership & possesion.  (^h
snake-eyes  )&&

No 2nd amendment. The police and the bad guys carry, no one else. You can have licenses for guns for competition and hunting. Licenses are on 5 yrs basis. Antiques (manufactured before 1890, non-gas-tight ammo, BP) are free of license. Replica BP:s need a license due to the 1890 rule.

Offline snake-eyes

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Erin Go Bragh
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2015, 03:24:33 PM »
Len,
       I know how I feel about that, but as a Swede how do you feel. Personally I can not
imagine,as a law abiding person not being able to own or purchase any "legal" weapon
that I choose. But wow are they trying to remove that right from me. At 70 years old I
don't expect to see the gun issue settled here in the  )K&. in my life. When I get to
where I'm going I will be cheering for the NRA.  _k*  (T^
snake-eyes  )&&
Member: NRA
Member: Columbus Muzzleloading Gun Club
Co-Founder and charter member: Traditional M/L Ass.
www.TraditionalMuzzleloadingassociation.com
If you come to a fork in the road,take it! Yogi Berra

Ever wonder who God roots for in a religious war??

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2015, 04:11:03 PM »
Len,
       I know how I feel about that, but as a Swede how do you feel. Personally I can not
imagine,as a law abiding person not being able to own or purchase any "legal" weapon
that I choose. But wow are they trying to remove that right from me. At 70 years old I
don't expect to see the gun issue settled here in the  )K&. in my life. When I get to
where I'm going I will be cheering for the NRA.  _k*  (T^
snake-eyes  )&&

I haven't had much problem with that so far. We're a docile country, but are maybe now suffering from Post-Peace-Syndrome. All of the shootings here are between the immigrants. They bring their "culture ?" and their guns with them. The thing is to stay out of their backwards areas. But it is sad to see parts of the country going down the drain. Then of course, sooner or later there is going to be a backlash, but as you say, we're going to be gone by then.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2015, 01:31:36 PM »
Snake-Eyes,
as far as I know, there's no country in Europe with your kind of 2nd Amendment. There are surely licensed guns around, but civilians do not carry for self protection. The lore is, that we made a deal with the state/law forces to take care of our security, the so called "Monopoly of violence". Problem is that this monopoly is now under attack from certain groups (you know which) within our societies. In Austria shotguns are license free, so in these turbulent times, every Austrian has bought a shotgun, the gun shops are completely ripped off. Then there is Finland, that has more guns per capita than the USA. Sweden also has a fairly high number of guns per capita, mostly hunting stuff.

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2015, 03:02:11 PM »
Gentlemen,
            In Spite of, and because of what some of you have NOT said, I will continue to believe that my,"Medical Examiner Special,"  load, would be VERY effective in putting any Miscreant who invaded my Private Space after dark, ON HIS ASS!  Most likely for Eternity!  When Bat Masterson's brother, Ed, was shot and killed in Dodge City, Back in the day, he was found to be wearing clothes that were still on fire!  Only a few moments had passed by between him being found, and the sound of the gunfire!  I have never shot my MES load after dark, and I honestly hope I don't have to shoot it indoors!  However, I have the
utmost confidence in it's ability to render anyone I hit fair and square Twixt Wind & Water, as dead as the proverbial Doornail!
I honestly have no wish to kill anyone.  However if I was awakened in the night to find someone in my room,I would be in fear! 99.9% OF PEOPLE WAKING AROUND ARE IN BETTER SHAPE THAN I  The average 14 year old could flatten me like a collapsed Opera Hat!  So I would take Betsina stealthily from beneath my pillow, and politely ask what the Hell (Or Something!) that person was doing in my home!   Failure on the part of that person to provide a satisfactory answer, would be met with whatever force I felt would keep me alive and well!  As a Citizen of the United Sates, I have the Constitutional Right to defend myself!  I WILL NOT permit some lazy, Scruffy, perhaps Unwashed person to steal my possessions, and the usually less than $5.oo in cash I sometimes have on my person!  I wanted to live here, because in England, Englishmen DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO DEFEND THEMSELVES!  They are supposed to call a Policeman!  If you seize a golf Club and flatten an intruder, the Bastard can sue your ass, and is likely to WIN!
            When I came here to live, I FELT REALLY FREE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE!  So you can bet your Ass, that anyone who puts me in fear of my life, stands an excellent chance of getting their guts blown through their Spinal Column!  Also, if in the process of getting to my bedroom, I found they had hurt my precious Sheba, I might EMPTY the cylinder, and reload and shoot them six times more,  to be quite certain they were on their way to Hell!
            My pastime happens to be playing with guns!  So if called upon to defend myself I would use a gun.  A Canadien Hockey Player may well beat the intruder to death with a Hockey Stick! To Each his Own!!   In England Many Years ago, I recall my Dad chortling over the fate of two burglars who had broken into the home of a Kent County Cricketer! The man's wife had wakened him, and told him she had heard people downstairs!  So the Husband listened, and taking his Cricket bat, he explored the downstairs!  Apparently the men offered him violence, and he beat Holy Crap out of them both!  This was Back In The Day when one could act like a man without being penalised for it!  Dad chortled about the incident for Days!
            I'll take my chances!  A poor old man, with both knees almost useless, a crippled Left Ankle, and a lower back that could do with a lot of improvement, and rapidly approaching my 80th. Birthday!  So if I put some Worthless Punk in his grave, or in Intensive care, I'd not like to be the attorney who tried to make ME look the Bad Guy!
                                                      This is AMERICA BY GOD! Let's not forget that EVER!
                                                                                                      Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2015, 03:16:07 PM »
This is AMERICA BY GOD! Let's not forget that EVER                                                                                               

Right On Johnnie !  Anybody mess with you like that, just waste em.  Your local DA will probably invite you to lunch.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2015, 02:08:46 PM »
1 shot ll do it, but it works both ways. The target should get more muzzle flash than u. Plus he might be burning if he's close enough.

New year's eve. Didn't buy any fire works. Shot the Remi after dark. Tried to establish if this talk of setting fire to the perp has any validity. Hung up an old shirt (Wrangler) half way down the range. Wife behind me lighting the shirt with a LED lamp. Shot several cylinders, getting closer and closer. No fire, not even at point blank range. But the shirt was certainly dead.

Offline Branko

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2016, 07:35:15 PM »
Snake-Eyes,
as far as I know, there's no country in Europe with your kind of 2nd Amendment. There are surely licensed guns around, but civilians do not carry for self protection. The lore is, that we made a deal with the state/law forces to take care of our security, the so called "Monopoly of violence". Problem is that this monopoly is now under attack from certain groups (you know which) within our societies. In Austria shotguns are license free, so in these turbulent times, every Austrian has bought a shotgun, the gun shops are completely ripped off. Then there is Finland, that has more guns per capita than the USA. Sweden also has a fairly high number of guns per capita, mostly hunting stuff.

Carry permits are not easily given in most of Europe, but on the other hand, self-defense laws are realistically pretty similar to US ones. Just like in most of the states, shooting is only justified to protect from an immediate threat to life. You can't just shoot some guy prowling in the backyard, or some scrawny kid who snuck in your house. You can't shoot someone running away with your stuff, or someone who is grabbing your stuff. The police aren't allowed to do this here, either. Where I live non-lethal weapons are generally speaking legal to carry (with some rules) for self-defense, but to get a carry permit for a firearm you need to have a serious reason (eg. carrying lots of valuables or cash as part of your job, threats, or such). Frankly I did not see the need to try to get one. It would be nice if it was possible to carry guns without much legal fuss, but I'm not losing any sleep over it.

While cartridge guns here must be stored unloaded in the safe (they check every year or two), a number of people defended their homes with firearms (including sporting and hunting ones) and if it was justified, they were acquitted (and around here, civil lawsuits after the fact are an unlikely proposition since continental law is a bit different). It's a rare occurence where I live, though. I understand the legal practice in the UK is different to most of mainland Europe, and self-defense is viewed under a more negative light, and even non-lethal weapons are very much banned, but, well... fall of a formerly great empire turned them into a strange nation.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2016, 08:24:28 PM »
Hi Branko.  Those are good comments.  A few observations here:

“You can't just shoot some guy prowling in the backyard,” … that is true here too.
“or some scrawny kid who snuck in your house.”  Here you can shoot anything that sneaks into your house and is old/big enough to present a potential threat.  In some states one is required to exercise some judgment on this, i.e. can’t shoot lost toddlers and such.  That seems reasonable.
“You can't shoot someone running away with your stuff,” Yep, no deadly force for property offences (theft).
“or someone who is grabbing your stuff.”  Well, that depends.  If the grab is from the person then it’s a robbery.  We shoot robbers here.  Too few though.

Offline jdurand

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Mostly Harmless
    • Company web site
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2016, 08:42:54 PM »
In California we have an extended Castle Doctrine which says once we start shooting we can chase the criminal outside our house and continue to shoot.

For people not familiar with The Castle Doctrine, it isn't a law per say, but it's part of the instructions given to the jury* and says "a man's home is his castle" or refuge of last resort.  If someone enters your home by force, you can assume they mean you harm and fire a nuke at them.

* Yes, I know juries aren't supposed to be instructed, but nullification is a whole other subject.
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Paracelsus)
NRA Life Member, Gun Owners of California member