1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Do you keep your BP revolvers loaded?  (Read 17193 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
Do you keep your BP revolvers loaded?
« on: March 07, 2015, 11:35:48 AM »
Hi, I used to keep all my modern firearms loaded. Since there is a safety rule, "treat all firearms as if they are loaded", I kept them that way. There was never a question in my household if a firearm was loaded. It's the quickest way to get a firearm into action if necessary.

However, lately, I have kept all my firearms in my gun safe unloaded. Today I loaded up a number of .36 caliber cylinders in anticipation of the snow finally melting at my range. I also loaded and capped the .36 revolver. This got me wondering if that was prudent.

Do you keep your BP revolvers loaded and capped?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
Re: Do you keep your BP revolvers loaded?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 12:08:02 PM »
Hi Richard, I do keep some of my guns loaded. And some shot guns and some rilfes. And some black powder pistols. In my house, Kimmy and Max know most of my guns are loaded.
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 02:42:03 PM »
depending where you live  humidity and such
Loading a BP revolver and not capping, will just let moisture into chamber via the nipple, inviting powder degradation.
And being the gun is considered a tool, it would be useless if not fully loaded and capped.
well not entirely useless. Could be a paper weight, door stop, improvised hammer  and such.

I roll paper cartridges myself, and yes Mine is always loaded.  I really need to make up more rounds and go out and shoot these. but waiting for much better weather.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 04:54:05 PM »
I never preload any BP Colts cause to transport them the piece needs to be on empty and they are not listed on my carry permit. 

I always have at least one Remington cylinder loaded and usually kept in an eight inch.  The reason for this is that I have some Puma on my mountain and I would not wish to shoot one without a little style put into the matter.  A shot at a Cougar in your yard or on adjoining trails is an opportunity that needs to be taken with some style. 

The go to town/city carry piece in .45 ACP is always loaded and a loaded 20 gauge double with extra shells is ready and handy nicely tucked behind a bookcase by the front door. 

I see no point in loading everything, especially if extra mags are ready.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• I said I never had much use for a rifle, never said I couldn't use it...
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 07:00:00 PM »
everything in my house is loaded, except for that 10ga front stuffer sxs manton and only because i never want to fire that piece of weaponry spawned from the fires of hell ever again. nearly broke my collarbone, shoulder joint, arm, wrist, elbow, 3 ribs and my neck the last time i fired it.
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 07:05:33 PM »
everything in my house is loaded, except for that 10ga front stuffer sxs manton and only because i never want to fire that piece of weaponry spawned from the fires of hell ever again. nearly broke my collarbone, shoulder joint, arm, wrist, elbow, 3 ribs and my neck the last time i fired it.

What did you do, climb up in a tall tree to fire it and fall out? (k-
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 08:57:37 PM »
Used to. In a nightstand.

Then I had some doubt with trusting the kids (youngest turned 3 in November).

So still loaded, just not as accessible.

Loaded doesn't bother me because, well, Safety Notch, I'm the only one that will pull it out of the case.. and if I pull it out of the case, I have a reason, which usually results in firing, or in ONE isolated instance, the threaten of firing (wasn't until I cocked it, that he thought I was serious)
Soaking this up like a Parched sponge.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• I said I never had much use for a rifle, never said I couldn't use it...
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 08:02:53 AM »

What did you do, climb up in a tall tree to fire it and fall out? (k-

no, one of the hammer notches is quite worn and apparently if you fire the other barrel first the worn one will fire too...
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 02:59:46 PM »
Dear Friends,
            Betsina, Clementina, Sopjia, and Katarina are all loaded in all six chambers with my PDL! If you have an empty gun, all you have is a very expensive Deep Sea Fishing Weight!  Even where I live, it is possible that one of the Neighbors Neurotic Yappadoodles could get hit by a car,  and need to be put out of it's misery!  So apart from other uses, which DD4life has as succinctly summed up in an earlier post, I feel that except for a case such as posted by Sourmash, where a child too young so realize the destructive potential of a gun, might inadvertently bring about a tragedy!  ALL my guns are ALWAYS loaded!  So are all my cylinders, save for three, which I intend to put in my revolvers when I do a talk, and Demonstration for our Church Troop of the Boy Scouts! As soon as the aforesaid demonstration is over, the three guns will be fitted with three of the four loaded cylinders on my belt!!  ("Be Prepared, that's the Boy Scouts Marching Song!")
                                                                                                          Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Lead Balls

• 10gr under a .43 paintball for "Civil War Rematch"
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 08:24:00 AM »
Mine are always loaded. I just ordered my first extra cylinder for my Remington, so one will be loaded, and one won't be. It will be stored loaded. I have a single shot break open 20ga, that is also always loaded, but I opened up the shell, dumped out the buckshot, and filled it back up with rock salt and a little bit of Elmer's glue, to clump it up a little bit better. That's my "less lethal" load for defending the yard. I also have an M1903, I just got that last week for my birthday, and I don't have any ammo for it yet, although I do have some on the big, brown, truck, on the way. That will also be loaded, and chambered, but I'll load it while holding the trigger down, so the firing pin won't be cocked. A quick up and down with the bolt handle, or just pulling back the cocking piece will make that ready to go.
I like the idea of the Remington for home defense, I'll keep a light powder load in it, since if I have to use it to defend myself in my own house, I don't want to place my neighbors at any risk, so I don't want the balls going to far. And furthermore, the last time I had an intruder, it was someone sneaking around in my back yard, and I could only see their shape, since it was dark, and the only light was behind them. I could see that who ever it was had a gun in their hand, and I almost shot him. It was a cop, looking for someone they thought had jumped the fence into my yard for some reason or other. I like the idea that if, god forbid, some kind of accident like that happened, as long as I shoot center of mass, as I would, it would knock a cop down, but the armor they wear is in no danger of being defeated by a soft, lead ball, especially with a light load. Anybody else would be hurting, for sure, and that's just fine by me, if they put me in that situation, but the cops don't seem to care who's property they are trespassing on, once they are locked into chasing someone. Back in the day, when I was a kid, they used to wear those hats they had, with the brim, and the funny shape with the badge over the brim. There is no mistaking that hat, even in the dark. But they don't wear those, anymore, so it's hard to tell them from a prowler at night in the dark, now. Those hats provided for their safety, but I guess they just don't seem to want to wear those, anymore.
I still get chills when I think about it, if I wasn't on the phone with 911, and or had not gotten through to them when I did, I would have shot a cop. That's one of the reasons that shotgun has rock salt living in it, now. That would ruin his day, too, and serves him right sneaking around like that, but it wouldn't do any permanent damage to him. I'm don't want to shoot one on accident. I don't want to go there until they show up demanding that I let them in, and lying about their probable cause. When they do that, they are robbing you, and you are going to go to jail so that they get away with it. When they get in, one of them will take their flashlight apart, then find some drugs to arrest you for. That's how they do it. To hide their drop stash from their own dogs, they know it has to be in a sealed container made of metal and or glass, and there is plenty of room in those flashlights. I've even seen them do it on youtube, when they know they are being recorded, and in fairness, if you don't know what you are watching, you won't see them do it. But when 3 cops and a dog search a car, and don't find anything, then the first one comes back to check again, then seems to have trouble with his flashlight, hits his hand with it a couple of times, then takes the batteries out, looks at them, then puts them back in, flashlight works again, and "OH" look, he finds some drugs right there out in plain sight that the other 3 and the dog missed, somehow, well, something stinks. I have nothing against cops, in fact, I like them, but dishonest cops are the only things on the criminal food chain that are actually lower than the child molesters. When they think it's okay to demand you let them in your home so they can take their flashlights apart, and arrest you, so they can seize your property and sell it at their auction, they deserve to burn slowly. That is NOT what my taxes pay them for at all. For the record, their favorite excuse is the old anonymous call reporting a woman screaming in your house. You would know if there was a woman screaming in, or anywhere around your house, and cellphones have pushed coin operated public telephones to the brink of extinction. When is the last time you seen a public telephone? Well, unless you can find one that is still in service, it is IMPOSSIBLE to make an anonymous call to 911. Remember that, because they don't, and they think we are stupid. If that is their excuse, they want to take their flashlights apart to liquidate your assets. They have come to depend on that income, and they have quotas to make.
But, if they had any right to force their way into your house, they would break down the door, that's how they do it. Don't open it for them no matter what they do or say, or threaten you with, and they will probably give up and go to the next house on their list.

I know how I must sound, but I have been screwed over by crooked cops enough times to have them down, now, and that pisses them off. I know they are coming eventually, and when they take their flashlights apart, you don't qualify for a trial by a jury, you get "drug court" ("kangaroo court") where the judge knows you aren't guilty, so he is going to find you guilty no matter what. If you want a jury trial, and believe that you will win with 12 taxpayer deciding, the only way to get one is kill at least one of them, and that's how it is. It's not my fault they don't see fit to obey the laws themselves.

And believe it or not, I will go above and beyond to help the honest ones, the ones that actually care about protecting and serving me, but they are few and far between. I knew a little clique of 4 or 5 good cops, 10 years ago or so, and I liked those guys. There was entirely too much drug activity around my place or residence, so I had security cameras around my house. I connected them to the internet, and gave those cops the address, so they could watch the circus live, from in their cars, and gave them my number, so they could call any time, day or night, and I would open the back door for them, and let them sneak in to do what they did, and they got rid of the crackheads. I even invited into my home, once, because I recorded something I thought they needed to see. But it's been a decade since I have known honest cops, and here is the thing that gets me, the rest of them STILL HATE me for doing that. They wanted to seize the property I was living at using the "nusance act", where when a place becomes that bad, and if the owners or managers don't do enough about it, they can seize the property. My cameras ruined that for them, and those guys cleaned the place right up. They got assigned to a different precinct, and the cops have been messing with me ever since, they didn't like not getting to take the property. That neighborhood has gone way up in value, since.
In my experience, the secret to happiness is a matter of learning to sort the occasional good idea from an endless body of bad ones.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 10:00:36 AM »
No. Scratch that...HELL no. I have 'real' guns on the job for that purpose. Why would I want to defend your castle with a cap and ball revolver (unless I had no centerfire guns...or I was convicted felon that couldn't legally possess them)? You don't bring a knife to a gun fight, and you don't bring a hobby firearm to a home defense situation. I strongly suspect there are those who see a bit of romanticism in taking out a home burglar or rapist with his 'good 'ol cap and ball'....you're dreaming, fellas. The jury that convicts you will take a long look at your history and potential motives before deciding you are Hollywood Joe who always fantasized about pluggin' some 'bad guy' with his Wild Bill revolver.
If that's all you've got...use it. If not...keep them in the safe.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 10:11:19 AM »
Nope. A cap and ball would not be my first line of defense, nor the second or third. I would depend on them to fire if I had to use them for such but there's much better options that won't fill the room with smoke and throw sparks.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 10:26:06 AM »
I do not consider these cap and balls as a hobby gun.  They are quite deadly.
Loaded and used properly they are more than adequate for most jobs that require deadly force.

Yes I keep mine loaded at all times. other than a dud cap, they have gone boom even after being loaded for over a year.

But I try not to leave them sit that long.

Our cops no longer use the  To Protect and Serve  on their cars.
Now they use  Protecting the Legend.    Nobody around here seems to know what legend they are talking about.
Seeing some of ours in action on the street I don't trust most of them either.  I will nonchalantly turn and take another route if one starts following me.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 11:16:10 AM »
Hi, my first line of defense is a short barreled 12ga shotgun, the second an M1 carbine. I also have a few loaded modern handguns salted around the house for a worst case surprise. IMO BP handguns are fun guns for recreational shooting, period.

Like the Captain said, don't take a knife to a gunfight.  :9) :9) :9)

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline snake-eyes

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Erin Go Bragh
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 11:24:25 AM »
 Well I guess if I didn't have a loaded 9mm Glock and a loaded O/U 20gauge Charles Daley
I would certainly load up one of my B/P revolvers. I would feel confident having them and
they are certainly deadlier than a knife. IMO
snake-eyes  )&&
Member: NRA
Member: Columbus Muzzleloading Gun Club
Co-Founder and charter member: Traditional M/L Ass.
www.TraditionalMuzzleloadingassociation.com
If you come to a fork in the road,take it! Yogi Berra

Ever wonder who God roots for in a religious war??