1858banner

Author Topic: Puckle Gun  (Read 12883 times)

Offline Classanr

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
Re: Puckle Gun
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2015, 08:56:08 PM »
Recently came back from a castle in Sweden that had two rooms (basically, an armory) of old shooters (plus some body armor and other bric-a-brak).  Most of the firearms clearly never were shot, and somebody spends a heapo time keeping the 500+ firearms rust-free.  When asked about the revolving single-barrel flintlock, was informed by the guide that it was "eary 1600's, 5-shot revolving flintlock."  Looked like a single lock under which a brass cylinder revolved, with steel for everything else.

Somebody remind me to dig the photo out of my digital heap and post it.  I am still decompressing from a fabulous trip.
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 09:01:24 PM »
Pleased it went well Classanr, welcome back.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 01:29:58 PM »
Recently came back from a castle in Sweden that had two rooms (basically, an armory) of old shooters (plus some body armor and other bric-a-brak).  Most of the firearms clearly never were shot, and somebody spends a heapo time keeping the 500+ firearms rust-free.  When asked about the revolving single-barrel flintlock, was informed by the guide that it was "eary 1600's, 5-shot revolving flintlock."  Looked like a single lock under which a brass cylinder revolved, with steel for everything else.

Somebody remind me to dig the photo out of my digital heap and post it.  I am still decompressing from a fabulous trip.

Just two rooms? Not three?

Offline Classanr

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 08:32:52 PM »

Just two rooms? Not three?

Oh, that's correct.  Three.  I was caught "loitering" in the major gun room while everybody else went to look at the "unicorn horn."

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 10:40:01 PM »
Sorry Classnr, just when you thought this thread was dead too - but I like that revolving flintlock (I can't help but wonder what else was dreamed of by that gunsmith)! Unbelievable to think that was probably made completely by hand by the gunsmith!

Offline Classanr

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2015, 11:29:07 PM »
Len seems to have an affinity for European auctions of fine antiques.  Some of the links he posts show amazing artifacts by extraordinary artists.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2015, 11:35:09 PM »
Sorry Classnr, just when you thought this thread was dead too - but I like that revolving flintlock (I can't help but wonder what else was dreamed of by that gunsmith)! Unbelievable to think that was probably made completely by hand by the gunsmith!
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Classanr

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2015, 11:37:56 PM »
Would that be a "one-twenty-five" caliber?

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2015, 09:26:35 AM »
Those links were more fun than reading old high school year books "Most Likely To Succeed" and "Most Congenial", where are they now?

Now I know why people call boilers "colliers".  I thought it had to do with coal.  Nope.  It had to do with revolving flintlocks.

Our "most likable" is now a drug addict, our "most likely to succeed" is a funeral director and our "most talented" is a Sunday school teacher and stay-at-home mom. I haven't kept in touch with any of the others.

Offline Prospector

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2015, 10:10:48 AM »
I would say your "Most Talented" has the most important job of all of them,  even though it may be the lowest paying job, if you only count pay as Dollars in the weekly paycheck.  However, her rewards will be much greater in the long term.  There is no greater job than raising and training children in a way that will benefit them in eternity.

Offline jdurand

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Mostly Harmless
    • Company web site
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2015, 11:02:04 AM »
So that's not necessarily raising the boys to be doctors or lawyers and the girls to marry doctors/lawyers?
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Paracelsus)
NRA Life Member, Gun Owners of California member

Offline Kaeto

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Official Mad Dog Nose Tweaker.
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2015, 11:53:28 AM »

It's not a Flintlock, it's a Matchlock.

Offline Prospector

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2015, 09:26:57 AM »
So that's not necessarily raising the boys to be doctors or lawyers and the girls to marry doctors/lawyers?
The professions of Doctor and Lawyer are over glamorized, but not nearly as much as people in the entertainment professions, such as professional sports players, actors, and musicians.   I believe the professions of Teacher, pastor, engineer, and scientist are undervalued.   

Back to the original topic, this is a very interesting thread.    I love reading about these old weapons and the ingenuity of their creators.   
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 06:37:16 PM by Prospector »

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2015, 09:54:23 AM »
I would say your "Most Talented" has the most important job of all of them,  even though it may be the lowest paying job, if you only count pay as Dollars in the weekly paycheck.  However, her rewards will be much greater in the long term.  There is no greater job than raising and training children in a way that will benefit them in eternity.

The most talented from my school two years earlier was Ruben Studdard of early American Idol Fame, so in financial comparison she fell a little flat.
Ruben graduated from my school the year before we completely became Ghetto High.

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2016, 02:07:37 AM »
Let us not forget that 1775 marks the year of the first widely-known "modern" submarine attacks (the Turtle attacks in New York harbor), so yes the remarks concerning the founding fathers being aware of new classes of weapons is correct and on point!