1858banner

Author Topic: I reject using wads in a revolver for these reasons  (Read 24365 times)

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: I reject using wads in a revolver for these reasons
« Reply #105 on: January 01, 2020, 07:01:34 PM »
I've made a few orders with them for sheets of that and so don't reject wads.   Ideal product for our uses.  Makes wads dirt cheap. 

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Retreever

• Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2020, 07:36:18 AM »
Slow day so I may as well chime in here. I have the same issue as most others with lubing the cylinder mouth - everything gets slippery. I started using the Traditions wads which I quickly found out is not an insignificant expense.

So I have opted to try making my own wads, assembled the ingredients for the Gatofeo #1 Lubricant and followed the instructions, ordered the following https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07N8WQS6V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 felt sheets from Amazon . I got approx 300 wads from a single sheet and looking forward to giving them a work in the spring.

Retreever
Management and Ops consulting pro providing tactical sales and business solutions. Gundog Trainer, Power Lifter Wannabe

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2020, 01:49:13 PM »
Slow day so I may as well chime in here. I have the same issue as most others with lubing the cylinder mouth - everything gets slippery. I started using the Traditions wads which I quickly found out is not an insignificant expense.

So I have opted to try making my own wads, assembled the ingredients for the Gatofeo #1 Lubricant and followed the instructions, ordered the following https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07N8WQS6V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 felt sheets from Amazon . I got approx 300 wads from a single sheet and looking forward to giving them a work in the spring.

Retreever

My Good Retriever -

These you linked to are "High Quality Acrylic Craft Felt " .

In days of yore, we had been admonished yelled at advised  to only use real wool felt. I believe Wool Wadding is said to be less likely to  catch fire/ hold embers and cause a brush fire, like cotton patches will, and won't melt and leave plastic in the barrel.

Thus i am vey interested in how they work for you, if any are melted, smoking, etc !

yhs
prof marvel
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline Retreever

« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2020, 03:33:29 PM »

Retreever

My Good Retriever -

These you linked to are "High Quality Acrylic Craft Felt " .

In days of yore, we had been admonished yelled at advised  to only use real wool felt. I believe Wool Wadding is said to be less likely to  catch fire/ hold embers and cause a brush fire, like cotton patches will, and won't melt and leave plastic in the barrel.

Thus i am vey interested in how they work for you, if any are melted, smoking, etc !

yhs
prof marvel

Thanks Professor, I actually wondered about that I will definitely be watching for those issues. Appreciate the heads up.

Retreever
Management and Ops consulting pro providing tactical sales and business solutions. Gundog Trainer, Power Lifter Wannabe

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2020, 04:47:25 PM »

Retreever

You're not going to like those wads. Get hard felt from Duro-Felt and don't look back. http://www.durofelt.com/image_26.html  They're closed til Feb 7th tho.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2020, 05:07:17 PM »
Get hard felt from Duro-Felt and don't look back. http://www.durofelt.com/image_26.html  They're closed til Feb 7th tho.

Thanks Hawg! That's the stuff, hard felt from Duro-Felt. the page you linked to even has tallow and lanolin!

yhs
prof mumbles
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline Retreever

« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2020, 11:51:36 AM »
Get hard felt from Duro-Felt and don't look back. http://www.durofelt.com/image_26.html  They're closed til Feb 7th tho.

Thanks Hawg! That's the stuff, hard felt from Duro-Felt. the page you linked to even has tallow and lanolin!

yhs
prof mumbles

Someone had pointed me to this web site before but unfortunately shipping cost to Canada is prohibitive I guess I need to find a Canadian source for the same material.

Thanks, Retreever

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2020, 12:33:30 PM »
I tried the 'make my own' wads route a long time ago. Too muck like work and the lube was messy.  I've been using prelubed wads from Sage Outfitters for many years without the mess and work of homemade.  Their wads are $44.99 a thousand and I highly recommend them.

https://www.sageoutfitters.com/Muzzleloader.html
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2020, 08:10:24 PM »
Commercial pre-lubed wads all on their own never seem to have enough lube to do the job of actually preventing bind up and if a home lube recipe makes a mess then you just need to increase the viscosity.  Sagebrush beats hell out of Cabelas and whoever for wad price but at better than a nickel a pop they still ain’t exactly cheap.  A roll of DuroFelt with a punch & hand sledge beats all.  Nearly three times as many at half the price.

When wackin felt remember to use your off-hand, too.  It's good forearm exercise.

I like pounding felt.  I do not reject it. ])M
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)