1858banner

Author Topic: I reject using wads in a revolver for these reasons  (Read 24363 times)

Offline AZshooter

Re: I reject using wads in a revolver for these reasons
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2013, 06:23:36 PM »
AZ are you talking toilet paper?  Because I've thought the same thing.   ])M

Just get a good 2 ply John Wayne-grade roll of TP - you don't want to be using Cottonelle, Charmin or that foo-foo ladies stuff that turns to lint as it exits the barrel.

Offline kituwa

« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2013, 08:32:57 PM »
No, No, No, good ball lube absolutely requires not only olive oil, but extra VIRGIN olive oil.

Offline Pustic

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Proud American Hillbilly Infidel & Facebook Felon
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2013, 08:40:45 PM »
What about using model grade balsa wood?  (^h
{?( Be ye not afraid of the truth, for the "Truth Has No Agenda".  :9)
"If they come to take, they also come to die." Pustic 4:20

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline Saranac Sam

• Forum Legend
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2013, 08:57:25 PM »
What about using model grade balsa wood?  (^h

You wanna wipe your bottom with balsa wood, I think we would all be fascinated to hear your test results (pictures or it didn't happen)
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2013, 09:27:06 PM »
"

John Wayne Toilet Tissue. - It's rough, It's Tough, and it doesn't take crap off anyone!"

I bought a roll of this stuff at a Festival of The West one year,  Threw the paper away, but framed the wrapper and it hangs in my bathroom to this day!  Gives visitors a chuckle if they have to use my facilities while they are here!  By the way, as an aside:  If shooting for self defense, mix some garlic with your Over The Ball Lube, and see if taking this tip from the Mafia, helps anyone you shoot die from Blood Poisening! (Should you have the misfortune to miss the Sternum, Heart, or Liver!")

Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline ofitg

• Forum Legend
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2013, 09:53:14 PM »
People also make wads from that "paper mache" egg carton material.

Offline Saranac Sam

• Forum Legend
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2013, 09:55:15 PM »
"

By the way, as an aside:  If shooting for self defense, mix some garlic with your Over The Ball Lube, and see if taking this tip from the Mafia, helps anyone you shoot die from Blood Poisening! (Should you have the misfortune to miss the Sternum, Heart, or Liver!")

Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.

I wonder who, and why, was the first person to think that one up?  Vampire Slayers, apparently.
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Offline Smokin_Gun

• Forum Legend
  • "American by Birth, CSA by Choice"
    • SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2013, 10:53:15 PM »
If I had to choose between Wads or Grease I'd choose Wads, but I make my own Lube Pills. I've used it all in 30 years ... Crisco to Axle grease ... punched out cardboard egg cartons to wooly wads. Make my own lube and my Lube Pills work better than anything else for me... don't drop loaded pistols with slippery hands or half a dozen caps to put one on a cylinder ... Use what ya want, and I will too  }), {?( {L*
Served with the 43rd Virginia Cav Mosby's Rangers...
I favor an 1858 Remington .44 Revolver ... and I Smoke Black Powder

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2013, 01:27:36 PM »
Hi, you may find this old internet thread interesting:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198561

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 05:25:34 AM by ssb73q »

Offline Bushranger

« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2013, 07:02:55 AM »
Stop it Kituwa ,now I got sore ribs  )L$
Speak softly and not very often

Offline Hewy

• Black Friday
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2013, 10:11:22 AM »
Some of you might know I am the new rider in town, and was readin this last 6 pages to find a resonoble
answer to stuffin the powder hole with greez.................... ^y% I'm walkin away from this one ???
Capt Hewy
 {?(
ps Got to admit ,good reading  {L*
Hewy
Better to be gettin , than gettin got.

Offline ofitg

• Forum Legend
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2013, 11:26:32 AM »
Hewy, there seem to be two different camps - the biggest camp is populated by people who shoot their cap & ball revolvers purely for recreation, and they aren't too worried about the prospect of a lubed wad ruining their powder over a period of several days (or weeks). They never leave their revolvers loaded that long.

There are a few people who make up a different camp - people like Johnnie Roper (aka Gunslinger 9378) who rely on their percussion revolvers for self protection.  These people want to be certain that the pistol roars every time they drop the hammer.

Offline Saranac Sam

• Forum Legend
« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2013, 01:28:28 PM »

I'm in the first camp, I shoot these for recreation, however I don't doubt at all that they can be reliable self-defense.
  We hear the story that Wild Bill Hickok shot his 51's every morning and then reloaded them for the day.  I speculate that he was constantly checking the quality control of his reloading system.  JMHO
   Like a knife, the best firearm is the one you have in your hand.  It can buy you time and space to get to something better.

Offline Hewy

• Black Friday
« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2013, 01:38:41 PM »
The major take away from all of this is our abilities to experiment
and subsequently settle on works best.
I do enjoy the different opinions and ideas, without a shoot out occuring &j(
What I conclude here as always, there are more than one way to skin a cat.
Now what's that about egg cartons for wads? :)

{?(
Hewy
Better to be gettin , than gettin got.

Offline ofitg

• Forum Legend
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2013, 01:47:20 PM »
Some eggs still come packaged in the old-fashioned "cardboard" containers.... shredded paper, molded & bonded somehow, similar to paper mache.

Some people prefer the egg-carton material over felt for making wads..... when I played around with it, it seemed to me that the egg-carton material was a bit easier to punch out into discs; the felt discs were usually kinda ragged around the edges.