1858banner

Author Topic: I reject using wads in a revolver for these reasons  (Read 24372 times)

Offline joehadenuff

I reject using wads in a revolver for these reasons
« on: July 12, 2013, 07:05:57 PM »
1] At @6 cents added per shot it lessens the economy of shooting BP.
2] Its unnessary and a SCAM to sell stuff.Just grease over the ball.
3] They add yet another step to loading.

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
Re: I reject using wads in a revolver for these reasons
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 07:22:32 PM »
Dear Friends,
            I most heartily concur with what our friend, JoeHadenuff has said in his posting!  Another reason I could give him, is that if the revolver is toi be lefft loaded for some time, any lube in the wad CAN contaminate the powder charge.  Also when you use a lubed wad, ONLY the bore of the barrel gets lubed, and that probably not as efficiently as it would be with some lube over the ball!  Lube
OVER the ball also lubes the cylinder rotating pin, and makes it un-necessary to have a light hammer and a screwdriver handy, when you need to charge the revolver with a fresh loaded cylinder.
because the carbon build up had almost welded the cylinder in place in the frame!  With lubericant OVER the ball, some of this gets blown into the space at the front of the cylinder, making it much easier to change to a loaded one, after the first six rounds have been fired.
            Joe is obviously a person with sound common sense, and since it would seem that he joioned during the period when I was unable to get online, I wish him a very warm welcome to the forum, and hope he enjoys it half as much as I have!

Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Classanr

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 07:43:09 PM »
[snip]... and hope he enjoys it half as much as I have!

Johnnie, I hope he enjoys it as much as you do.
But I know what you mean.  Just had to poke you in the ribs.

"Where you headin' in such a hurry, Classanr?"

"Joe and Johnnie comin' in to Town, gonna quick draw against the Wad Crowd."

Classanr
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline joehadenuff

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 07:56:53 PM »
Dear Friends,
            I most heartily concur with what our friend, JoeHadenuff has said in his posting!  Another reason I could give him, is that if the revolver is toi be lefft loaded for some time, any lube in the wad CAN contaminate the powder charge.  Also when you use a lubed wad, ONLY the bore of the barrel gets lubed, and that probably not as efficiently as it would be with some lube over the ball!  Lube
OVER the ball also lubes the cylinder rotating pin, and makes it un-necessary to have a light hammer and a screwdriver handy, when you need to charge the revolver with a fresh loaded cylinder.
because the carbon build up had almost welded the cylinder in place in the frame!  With lubericant OVER the ball, some of this gets blown into the space at the front of the cylinder, making it much easier to change to a loaded one, after the first six rounds have been fired.
            Joe is obviously a person with sound common sense, and since it would seem that he joioned during the period when I was unable to get online, I wish him a very warm welcome to the forum, and hope he enjoys it half as much as I have!

Thanks fer the kind words my freind. By agreeing with me yer obviously very savvy. If this continues we'll get along famously,yes indeed.Classanr is from Kalifornia and therefore suspect,but most likely ok,rehabilitated and so on.

Offline Classanr

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 08:15:21 PM »
...Classanr is from Kalifornia and therefore suspect...

When I was a resident of Maine, I wasn't "from California", I was "From Away".  Kinda like being in The Usual Suspects Pool.
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline joehadenuff

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 08:46:41 PM »
...Classanr is from Kalifornia and therefore suspect...

When I was a resident of Maine, I wasn't "from California", I was "From Away".  Kinda like being in The Usual Suspects Pool.

A lot of Mainers are commie types too.Like southern Canadians...just sayin.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 09:37:57 PM »
I like wads because they're less messy and they don't add another step. If you're not lubing over the balls the steps are the same but the wads are faster. A properly lubed wad is dry to the touch and any powder contamination is miniscule.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 10:57:45 PM »
Well, let me be the rotten friggin' apple in the barrel here and say I LOVE THE WADS!!!!
I used Crisco, Maxi Lube, Bore Butter and the like for a hell of a long time, and all I can tell you is that shooting BP was a royal PITA.....like trying to hold onto a live greased eel....electric, at that.....until I discovered that, Yes, Virginia, you can shoot without a rag in your back pocket and still maintain control of your muzzle!
Lubes, especially Crisco, are effective (as our own Johnnie says) but why put yourself through all that bullshit if'n you don't have to? Are we all members of the Masochist's Club International? (we have to be charter members to shoot BP in the first place!) I say, to hell with that slippery goo! Shoot and enjoy yourself! (rather than "Enjoy and shoot yourself") ;)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 09:39:05 AM »
I like wads because they're less messy and they don't add another step. If you're not lubing over the balls the steps are the same but the wads are faster. A properly lubed wad is dry to the touch and any powder contamination is miniscule.

Hi Hawg, I agree 100%. Good quality 1/8" lubed felt wads cost me ~$0.035/each. Shooting a lube on front of ball soon leaves a revolver that's like a greased pig, difficult to hold and operate. If I expect to keep cylinders loaded for an extended (read indefinite) period of time, I will add a thin .45 Colt dry wad over the powder followed by a lubed wad and ball.

Seems in a past life we went through this topic before?
http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5782.0.html

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 09:44:30 AM »

Hi Johnnie, glad to see you back posting, I missed your postings.  {?| {?| {?|

Regards,
Richard

Offline Saranac Sam

• Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 12:04:16 PM »
I agree with Joe and his shooting companion.  You guys are just slobs if you can't keep the grease off your fingers ... just kidding, don't flame me  ])M

I'm avoiding wads right now because I have a lifetime supply of bullet topping.

If I could think of an easy way to make wads, I would, I just resist the idea of buying them online and paying shipping.

To each his own...

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 12:11:29 PM »
I agree with Joe and his shooting companion.  You guys are just slobs if you can't keep the grease off your fingers ... just kidding, don't flame me  ])M

I'm avoiding wads right now because I have a lifetime supply of bullet topping.

If I could think of an easy way to make wads, I would, I just resist the idea of buying them online and paying shipping.

To each his own...

Hi Sam, well, I'm not going to shake hands with you when at the range.  )L$ )L$ (?^ (?^

I have a theory (I always have a theory?) that maybe Johnnie shot his hand because his revolver was so greasy that he couldn't hold it. Maybe if he used wads, he would have one less hole in him?  {+* {+*

BTW check out SageBrush for wads. IMO once you use them, you will never look back.

Regards,
Richard

Offline kituwa

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 01:22:07 PM »
I make my own wads. There is a little store here that has some new old lady style 100% felt hats for 3.50 each.1/8th thick that i cut them out of with a punch and then dip em in lube i make from canning pariffin, bee wax and olive oil. Put more pariffin in the mix for hot weather. After the wads are dipped and cooled i put them in a zip lock bag with some baby powder and shake it up,wont be greasy on yer hands at all and wont stick together in a container. I also use the same lube that i pour into a piece of the right size PVC pipe and let set up. Then i push it out in a long stick and slice it into 1/8th thick waffers that i sometimes use over the ball instead of useing a wad.Also works great as a lube to put on the cylinder pin to help stop fowling. Very little money in a nuff wads and grease cookies to last for years and my son and i shoot a lot too. Buying the premade ones is too much for me,,im such a tight wad i can sit on a quarter and squeeze a booger outta George Washingtons nose.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 02:17:48 PM »
I dunno how many wads you can get out of an old lady hat but this is the best place to buy hard felt for wads. http://www.durofelt.com/image_26.html
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline joehadenuff

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 03:14:41 PM »
I dont understand why you guys just can't agree with Johnnie. Pffft.