1858banner

Author Topic: Pietta Remington 1863 Questions  (Read 9017 times)

Offline rodwha

Pietta Remington 1863 Questions
« on: June 28, 2013, 09:47:41 AM »
I am interested in this little pistol, and a few questions...

1) Is the base pin removable or is it like the 1858 with the 5.5" barrel in which it only slides enough to remove the cylinder, but is obstructed by the lever latch?

2) Do these often have chambers that don't line up well with the barrel?

3) Are the chambers often much smaller than the groove diameter?

4) Is the loading lever assembly rather fragile? If so what usually bends/breaks?

5) I've tried to find the groove/land, and chambers diameters, but cannot seem to find this. Does anyone know?

6) I've seen differing chamber capacity (3F) of 12-15 grns. Can anyone verify? And is this max capacity an actual chamber full prior to seating a ball? For instance I can literally fill my Old Army chamber, and still seat a bare ball, which leaves the ball slightly below the chamber mouth.

7) Does a .319" RB shave a ring?
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline BGRooster1

• Forum Legend
Re: Pietta Remington 1863 Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 11:37:43 AM »
Same Same. )L$ (?^ ->i rodwha, Let's see what answers you get from the other guys.I gave mine on the other forum.
Maj.Bull S. Hitter on the CAS forum

Better to ask forgiveness.Than to beg permission

Cap & Ball revolvers are like Lay's potato chips , you can't have just one!!

Offline rodwha

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 11:50:24 AM »
Yep. I figure it's about the best way to get a broader collection of answers, especially with something not as common. I usually will give some time and do so if I haven't received much or on target info...
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 02:27:18 PM »
Never had one.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Pustic

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Proud American Hillbilly Infidel & Facebook Felon
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 05:04:42 PM »
I've never heard of one. I know that Remington actually built the revolver during that time period, but it was the 1858.  (^h
{?( Be ye not afraid of the truth, for the "Truth Has No Agenda".  :9)
"If they come to take, they also come to die." Pustic 4:20

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 05:11:31 PM »
I've never heard of one. I know that Remington actually built the revolver during that time period, but it was the 1858.  (^h

He's talking about the .31 pocket. Actually the 58 was never called that. It didn't evolve into the version we all know until 1863 and then it was called the new model.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Pustic

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Proud American Hillbilly Infidel & Facebook Felon
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 05:21:58 PM »
Oh....  :) I keep forgetting about the little pocket pistol.  )l)  I know that 1858 Remington is not correct, it was just the Remington, or the New Army. It really didn't become the 1858 Remington until they were being made as replicas back in the middle 1900's.
{?( Be ye not afraid of the truth, for the "Truth Has No Agenda".  :9)
"If they come to take, they also come to die." Pustic 4:20

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 06:18:48 AM »
Hi rodwha, I'm currently interested in the pocket revolver repos. Either an 1849 Colt or the 1863 Remington. See these youtube reviews:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ptTCAcpbe0

and:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfwSKV3UuXk

Personally, I don't like the Remington trigger without a trigger guard, but like the ease of cylinder removal. The 1849 Colt is a thing of beauty. Both allow conversion cylinders for .32 S&W Short.

My wife says I can only buy one this year. Any suggestions, anyone?

Regards,
Richard

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 09:49:47 AM »
yep we been trained over the years a trigger guard is a necessity.
A place to rest the finger when hammer cocked until ready to pull the trigger.
I guess it does help prevent accidents.
But for general carry in a holster, not as much a necessity.
It does add aesthetic to the overall  design.
But I don't draw and cock unless I have already decided I am going to have to shoot.
So I guess which one for you comes down to the design you like best.
The Remington does have the advantage of easier / quicker to swap out the cylinder
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline rodwha

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 10:30:05 AM »
I had been put off by the lack of a trigger guard, but as DD4 said, if it's cocked, and my finger is there, I am ready or willing to fire it. I have seen a pic on one of these forums where a guy had one fabricated, and it looked good. I wish I could find it again. I've tried...

I do think the Colt look a little better, but I've read of horrible cap jam issues, more so than any other.

I really like the safety notch design much better than the pins as many believe the recess in the Colt hammer nose often pulls the spent caps off.

I believe the Colt chambers hold an ever so slight bit more powder.

I like the size and weight of the Remington better, and it has a loading lever (you can get a 3.5" Colt barrel, but it has no loading lever), though I've heard it's feeble.

Were I to want a Colt pocket I'd move up to a .36 cal Police/Navy.

The ease of cylinder swapping is a nice bonus with the Remington.

I wish I knew someone around me with one that would allow me to give it a whirl, especially if we could also do penetration/velocity/15 yd  testing to really see what it does. I've read of balls bouncing off of plywood.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 12:26:04 PM »
Hi rodwha, I had been watching this site for a few weeks trying to decide if I wanted to buy a new 1849 Colt Pocket, the best price I could find, $299:
http://www.berettausa.com/products/1849-pocket-revolver-a-uberti/

After nobody replied to my want to buy used post, I decided to pull the trigger. However, as soon as I got on the site again this morning, I see the revolver is sold out.   :( :( :(

Well, maybe that was just meant to be.

Regards,
Richard

Offline rodwha

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 06:47:50 PM »
ssb: Now that you are starting over what are you considering? Still want the Colt over the Remington? Have you considered the .36 cal Colt pocket models?

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 08:11:33 PM »
Hi rodwha, I had been watching this site for a few weeks trying to decide if I wanted to buy a new 1849 Colt Pocket, the best price I could find, $299:
http://www.berettausa.com/products/1849-pocket-revolver-a-uberti/

After nobody replied to my want to buy used post, I decided to pull the trigger. However, as soon as I got on the site again this morning, I see the revolver is sold out.   :( :( :(

Well, maybe that was just meant to be.

Regards,

Possiblesshop has Wells Fargo pocket at $313.  Does not say out of stock.

http://possibleshop.com/pistol-uberti.html
Richard
------------
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 04:25:18 AM »
Hi DD, thanks for the link, but the 1849 pocket is $325. I don't want the Wells Fargo. In principle I won't spend more than $300 for a new black powder revolver repo. I left my email address on the Beretta site to be notified when the pocket is back in stock. Also, there are always sales going on somewhere. This leaves me in the game and interested until the desire is fulfilled. Remember your teenage years dating?  (?^ (?^

Regards,
Richard

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 07:03:51 AM »
Hi DD, thanks for the link, but the 1849 pocket is $325. I don't want the Wells Fargo. In principle I won't spend more than $300 for a new black powder revolver repo. I left my email address on the Beretta site to be notified when the pocket is back in stock. Also, there are always sales going on somewhere. This leaves me in the game and interested until the desire is fulfilled. Remember your teenage years dating?  (?^ (?^

Regards,
Richard
Nope never really got the chance to date when I was a teen. Lived too far out in the country and too many chores.
I normally allow 15% over my price when deciding to buy.
Prices are going to continually go up.
Don't see the pocket on sale as often as the full sized models.
Although in close quarters the small calibers can get the job done, I prefer the 44.
However, the smaller ones are less bulky and have an aesthetic appeal to their looks.
------------
USA birthday  7/4/1776