1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Random Handling  (Read 13197 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
Random Handling
« on: October 14, 2011, 10:44:34 PM »
I seem to have started a new tradition here in the Captain's house. Every night as I sit here reading & typing on the forums, I choose a different BP pistol and lay it on the desk in front of me. Tonight it's my Baby Dragoon. In between typing, reading and thinking, I pick up the Gun Of The Day, handle, point, and otherwise fiddle with the Gun Of The Day. This allows me better familiarity with all the guns, and a better appreciation for them. That being said, I might mention they are all checked for positive unloaded condition, and I have no kids in the house any longer. Still, it allows me to better connect with these things and keep them from becoming safe queens. {L*
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
Re: Random Handling
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 02:35:02 AM »
i do the same thing kirk, but mine are always loaded! {:( 
if yall get this way,drop on by!

southernboy

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 07:03:47 AM »
I'm much like you, Capt.  Just about every night, I grab a gun or two and clean them even though they've not been used since I last cleaned 'em.  Sometimes I'll just go over 'em with a little oil. Then, wrap 'em up and put 'em back in the safe. A gun can never be too clean

brushhippie

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 08:45:49 AM »
I do the same thing but like ET mine are loaded. I ordered a deal of prelubed felt wads and they sent me bore butter treated cleaning pads which I now use to wipe down all my pistols.....I like it, it stays better than oil.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 08:59:06 AM »
Funny, I do the same thing. Some are loaded, some are not.  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

brushhippie

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
Well cmon now an unloaded pistol is......a.club!

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 09:18:46 AM »
Well, I don't keep any of my BP guns loaded. I don't use them for defense (got a bit more modern stuff for that!) and a loaded gun is much more difficult to clean. Plus, I can't just step off the back porch and torch it off, either, so loading is a long-term proposition around here. If I lived in the boonies like some of you, I might.
But it's good to know we're a like-minded bunch!

brushhippie

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 01:04:11 PM »
Cap, I guess a loaded gun is much harder to clean  (?^ but I do feel sorry for those who cant jest step outside and bang away......city slickers....snicker....

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 11:27:52 PM »
Guilty as charged. :(
I made myself feel better by watching "Gettysburg" while fondling not one, but TWO Colt revolvers....the 1851 Navy and the 1860 Army. &j(

Offline Pustic

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Proud American Hillbilly Infidel & Facebook Felon
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 04:18:27 AM »
I could step out of my back door and shoot, but I don't think the neighbors would like it, and I don't feel like going to jail for doing something stupid,  :) so I shoot mine in my room.  {:( (?^ (?^ ->i
{?( Be ye not afraid of the truth, for the "Truth Has No Agenda".  :9)
"If they come to take, they also come to die." Pustic 4:20

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 04:36:32 AM »
i usually keep all guns in the house loaded and i can step out back and empty em at just about any time i want , but then id have to clean em! (?^  i dont usually keep the long guns loaded , just revolvers, i do keep the cartridge rifles loaded
if yall get this way,drop on by!

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 05:33:58 AM »
I do feel sorry for those who cant jest step outside and bang away......city slickers....snicker....

Me too.  (y^
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

southernboy

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 06:02:46 AM »
Well cmon now an unloaded pistol is......a.club!

Good point, brushhippie. Something in the house is always loaded  and it ain't me  (?^ (not any more)
But, I don't keep the ALL my guns loaded   &j(

brushhippie

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 07:58:45 AM »
I could step out of my back door and shoot, but I don't think the neighbors would like it, and I don't feel like going to jail for doing something stupid,  :) so I shoot mine in my room.  {:( (?^ (?^ ->i
Thats funny pustic you some like my old room mate, he actually did single fire a sten in his room while we were building them, I like to shit when I found out!

southernboy

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 01:28:52 PM »
I think I'd like your old roomie, brushhippie!