1858banner

Author Topic: Wadding material alternative  (Read 8703 times)

Offline Pustic

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Proud American Hillbilly Infidel & Facebook Felon
Wadding material alternative
« on: October 13, 2011, 05:44:24 PM »
Is it possible or feasible to use tissue, such as Kleenex or toilet paper as wadding material?  ??? ->i :9)
{?( Be ye not afraid of the truth, for the "Truth Has No Agenda".  :9)
"If they come to take, they also come to die." Pustic 4:20

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline Rock Island

• Forum Legend
Re: Wadding material alternative
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 05:56:42 PM »
In a emergency any paper will do to hold the bullet in place, back during the war ( Revolution )  they used whatever they could find, for the most part that would be rough brown paper the cartridges were packed in.  I assume you are packing the wadding into a flinter?    For round ball it's best to patch the ball with some lubricated cloth, for my Bess I use T shirt material lubed with bore butter, that combo just works well in that gun, others might do well with thicker material.  During the war it was SOP to drop the ball down on top of the powder and shove the paper down on top of the ball to keep it in place, this does not lead to increased accuracy as the ball will not be held in tight contact with the tube on the way out, but for the purposes of firing in ranks I suppose it would do fine.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.  Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Pustic

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 07:08:19 PM »
No. not for a rifle, for a revolver, such as a Remmy or a Colt. I use a lubed patch with my long guns, but I was just wondering if tissue could be used as wadding for a revolver.
I should of been more specific with the question. When I shoot shot out of my little hand cannon I'll use tissue, but I was just wonder about the revolvers. ])M

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Offline Rock Island

• Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 07:21:22 PM »
You want to shoot blanks in the revolver?  it's the only reason I can think of to use any sort of paper wadding in them, revolver bullets seal tight in the chamber, they do not use any sort of patch, doing so would require undersized bullets, and would ruin both accuracy, and safety.  If I have a short load I top fill it with cream of wheat cereal so the bullet sits closer to the top of the chamber, I use a wax paper disc between powder and filler, and a wonder wadd under the ball.  Paper itself will not be a safe way to seal a chamber for blank fire, flame can jump chambers and get around paper easily. 
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.  Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Pustic

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 07:23:36 PM »
I mean using tissue instead of wonder wads.

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 02:22:35 AM »
in an 1860 advertisement from col sam, it was stated that his revolvers required no wads over the powder, just put the ball on the powder, goin on the theory he was right, i dont see how ya could go wrong usin whatever works fer ya!  get out there and do a little experimentin and tell us how it works!
if yall get this way,drop on by!

Offline Pustic

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 04:58:30 PM »
@ET - next time I go to the range, I'll give it a try and give a report. Years ago I never used wonder wads or crisco and never had any problems. Today, sometimes I'll use the wonder wads, but mostly as a space filler when I load a weak load, but I never have and never will put grease, crisco, or anything over the balls, it's not needed.  :9)

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 02:57:30 AM »
i agree its not needed lamp! we used to do it in the 80s but it works just as well in the kitchen!  a buddy of mine had a bp revolver back then and i cant even remember what model it was but we used to pack the cyl ends with crisco, seemed like the norm back then but i wouldnt use it today!
if yall get this way,drop on by!

Offline 51colt

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 11:51:20 AM »
I have no problem with putting powder and ball in a cap gun and shooting.  I load off the frame so while the guns apart i push one patch though the barrel when i use lube (lube pill, a small dab of Crisco over the ball or lubed wad) the barrel is clean with one pass. When i don't use any lube it takes a wet patch and a little scrubbing to get the barrel clean. For me  my guns shoot better with some sort of lube. I think using tissue would work if they were lubed as long as they did catch fire.
Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Sheriff Langston

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 03:33:46 PM »
Assuming you get store-bought eggs.
The papier mache (not the foam plastic) works great!

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 06:27:05 PM »
ET's home-brewed felt hat wads work outstandingly!
WRT the above questions,
a) No, you don't NEED wads. I used to use Crisco but it's like holding on to a greased eel after about the second shot. A live one.
b) No, you don't need Crisco either. Col. Colt did indeed advertise you did not need a wad or lube, and the debate rages on whether chainfires begin from the chamber end or the cap end. I don't piss around; I use the wads with a very tight-fitting ball (.454-.457 depending on the gun) and a tight cap (#10 Remingtons)
If you're not shaving a lead ring you need a larger ball.
c) You can ram a larger ball down using a loading stand, larger yet with the cylinder out and in a press. Larger doesn't seem to affect accuracy IMHO.
In short, yep, you can do it. Would I recommend it? Nope.
Wads are relatively cheap insurance, and if you're out or can't afford them, at least use the Crisco. A small can will last you 10 years.
Or, check out Smokin_Gun's lube pills as an alternative (somewhere on this board, or PM him...he'd be happy to oblige ya, I'm sure!)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline 51colt

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 08:52:10 PM »
If you use Crisco this is what i use to put it over the balls. It is a barbecue injector. Last week i tried using lard what mess it burned in the barrel it was a pain to scrub out of the barrel.

Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 09:45:01 PM »
51 colt, That looks nice.  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Pustic

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 02:33:08 AM »
Is that what you call inject-a-lube?  ->i

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 12:34:27 PM »
Is that what you call inject-a-lube?  ->i

It's what I call a Damn Good Idea!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"