1858banner

Author Topic: 1903 Colt  (Read 7311 times)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
1903 Colt
« on: October 09, 2011, 11:53:29 AM »
Whenever I'm out metal detecting and there's any kind of old building on the property I always explore it too. I've found a few old guns/bayonets/knives including an original 58 Remington which I never took pics of. :'( Anyway I was poking around in this old dilapidated house and way back on the top shelf of a closet I found this 1903 Colt. This is one of my better gun finds. I do believe it was in a fire at some time as all the springs are shot. I've played with the idea of restoring it but I'd hate to spend the bucks to redo it and have it beat itself to pieces after just a few rounds.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Desert Drifter

Re: 1903 Colt
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 12:03:47 PM »
Thats cool Hawg.  Springs would loose their springisity in fire.  I know I've ruined several pairs of vice grips while gripping red hot steel.  But I dont know if Colts frames, slides and such would be heat treated.  I would think the trigger, sear etc. would be heat treated.  Just dunno.  thanks for posting the pics.

'DD

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 12:09:18 PM »
                             DANG HAWG, found you an 03 colt ! I'm a 1903 pocket model kind of guy, thats the third model probably made between 20 and 30 , she's pretty rough but still a very interesting find.

Serial number dates it to 1920.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 12:10:40 PM »
I dont know if Colts frames, slides and such would be heat treated.  I would think the trigger, sear etc. would be heat treated.  

'DD

I'm pretty sure they are. .32 ACP isn't exactly a high powered round so I'm thinking it would probably be ok but still gonna cost almost what I could get a shootable one for so I'm still undecided.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 12:12:20 PM by Hawg »

Offline MuzzleMarc

• Oh-fishul Hot Dog Griller and Peanut Salesman
  • Forum Legend
  • That's a really nice weapon
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 12:20:58 PM »
Very nice find, Hawg
I guess you agree with me - to restore this weapon you have to spend some money, but you can check out the prices of the parts you need and sell it after restoring it.

MuzzleMarc
I was always wondering. Do people in China have things "Made In USA ?"

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
I don't sell a lot of guns unless somebody wants them way worse than I do. )L$ Sides I'd hate to sell it and it not last for the new owner. No mag.

Offline Berkley

• International Kukri Research & Historical Society
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 03:31:50 PM »
I don't sell a lot of guns unless somebody wants them way worse than I do. )L$
Yer a man after my own heart. _LL 
I still have guns I got when I was in high school, and I sure wouldn't be in a hurry to let go of that one. 8)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 03:41:09 PM »
Most of my pistols were stolen and I made some mistakes over the years. I still have the 1887 Winchester I grew up hunting with and dads model 12 he bought new in 53 plus some others that were around when I was young. I still have the 58 Remington I bought new when I was 12.

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 06:51:07 AM »
You know you could go here and get new springs (if you didn't want to dink with restoring the old springs, that is)! Be somewhat costly, but once "restored" to shootable condition cinch a collector would buy it (thus giving you hopefully more substancially more greenbacks than you'd layed out)!  ;)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 08:43:00 AM »
I waited too long and can't afford to now. I did buy a set of repro grips for it but they came without a screw or escutcheons. I had an old set of Ruger grips and got ahead of myself and glued the escutcheons in before I checked to see if the screw would fit through the hole in the frame and of course it's too big and where it's located I can't drill it out. Oh well live and learn.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 10:28:42 AM »
Very neat find there. You could put it in a shadow box with some old other stuff.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 11:49:26 AM »
I thought about that. I may just glue the grips on and do it or maybe leave it as is and pair it up with the 92 Winchester and maybe some of the other stuff I've dug up. 

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 01:05:10 PM »
Mag costs $ 45, grips (decent ones, only $2 difference -) are $ 39.25 (laser-checked walnut, come with escutcheons and screw, loco pony insert), springs would be rough though (have ta look and peek around at least a day ta find that stuff)!
                                           Know you know all the places ta go fer that already though, so won't chuck 'em up here (take a few days to even compile that list)!

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 02:18:29 PM »
Last time I checked 300 bucks to get it going again. I didn't spend it when I had it I'm damn sure not going to spend it now that I don't. I think I paid 23.00 for the bakelite grips. I could probably change out the escutcheons without too much trouble. I did buy a new recoil spring so the slide functions again. Did a quick check and found a mag for 40.00 but that's not happening.

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 02:33:14 PM »
Maybe you could sell it "as is" (people seem to relish projects on this forum)!  "?: