1858banner

Author Topic: Which reproduction is the most historically accurate?  (Read 255 times)

Offline 9245

Which reproduction is the most historically accurate?
« on: February 18, 2021, 08:01:43 PM »
Which of the 1858 New Army .44s is the most historically accurate?  I have seen some say Uberti, and some say Pietta (especially the cutout for loading conicals, save for the rammer), and some say Armi San Marco and others other things but who is right?  Which Italian reproduction 1858 is closest dimensionally to the original?  Does anyone have the measurements?

Offline 45 Dragoon

Re: Which reproduction is the most historically accurate?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 08:22:02 PM »
Probably the Spanish made Santa Barbara revolvers are closest but ASM would be my guess.

Mike

Offline Hellgate

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 09:39:52 PM »
I'm gonna say the Uberti. Here's why: compared to the Pietta the Uberti is a lighter gun and the frame more resembles the originals from photographs. Look at the junction of the barrel and the frame topstrap. Looking at a side view, the originals have a smooth slope from the topstrap to the barrel with virtually no step down to the barrel. The Piettas have a sharp step down as does the Euroarms. I've never owned an ASM so I don't know for sure how they look. Look at any auction house photos of the original Remingtons and you will see there is  hardly any step down from the topstrap to the barrel on a side view. As to weight the Euroarms are the lightest guns with the smallest grips. I've read that they are a copy of the Beals version of the Remington but it looks like an "in between" as to the number of barrel threads showing on the side view are less than the1863 New Model Army but more than the Beals. The Euros are certainly the lightest weight of all the Remingtons. The Uberti just looks more original.
I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap & ball for having over 15 of them. That's a compliment.
SASS #3302 Life, Regulator,  NRA Life
Wolverton Mtn Peacekeepers
Former Orygun Cowboy Ranger
Posse From Hell (Honorary)
RUCAS#58
DGB#29

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 09:48:40 PM »
I don't know about the Santa Barbara but I think Euroarms aka ASP are closest. Uberti is oversized. Pietta even more so plus Pietta sights and grips aren't even close to originals.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline sourdough

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 02:47:44 PM »
Remington NMA .44 imported by DGW, manufactured by Army San Paolo AH/1981 (stamped GDG on underside of barrel), but it does not have enough barrel threads protruding from the frame. Also, the load lever sails seem to be correct for a NMA/NMN.

Regards,

Jim