1858banner

Author Topic: How do people with large hands comfortably hold and shoot 1858s?  (Read 202 times)

Offline SWFL

I've got large hands and the trigger guard is in the way. It looks like it would have to be approximately where the trigger is to comfortably fit my hands.

I love the elegant simplicity of the Remington 1858 compared to the Colt 1860, but the whole grip design seems to be an ergonomic failure to me.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: How do people with large hands comfortably hold and shoot 1858s?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 07:54:24 AM »
You can try curling your pinky under the butt like with a SA Colt. That might give you enough clearance. 58's are notorious knuckle rappers.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 09:23:40 AM »
SWFL
As Hawg says, little pinky under the butt. A two hand grip might steady the thing, kind of like a golfer. We have (had) a guy stage named Magnus here, who attached S&W checkered grips on his original Remi. Look at his posts to get some ideas.
Your big hand Q has been coming up regularly over the decades. The general explanation is that people had smaller hands back then (which I think is an outright lie, considering they were hard at work with manual cores).

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 09:58:01 AM »
The general explanation is that people had smaller hands back then (which I think is an outright lie, considering they were hard at work with manual cores).

You have to consider that the AVERAGE height of CW soldiers was 5'7". The AVERAGE weight was 143 pounds. Take a look at some officers uniforms from the war. They're very small.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 10:40:58 AM »
The general explanation is that people had smaller hands back then (which I think is an outright lie, considering they were hard at work with manual cores).

You have to consider that the AVERAGE height of CW soldiers was 5'7". The AVERAGE weight was 143 pounds. Take a look at some officers uniforms from the war. They're very small.
I'm 6" and 140 lbs and have got huge hands (kinda like lavatory seat lids), all due to my hard manual work over the years. And I know, Hawg, that you have promoted the illusion of the midget CW soldiers. I just don't believe it. But, so far, this is still a free world, so let's stick to our different believes. None of them are significant in a couple of hundred years. Chers and happy new year!

Offline SWFL

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 10:49:58 AM »

I'm 6" and 140 lbs and have got huge hands (kinda like lavatory seat lids), all due to my hard manual work over the years. And I know, Hawg, that you have promoted the illusion of the midget CW soldiers. I just don't believe it. But, so far, this is still a free world, so let's stick to our different believes. None of them are significant in a couple of hundred years. Chers and happy new year!
[/quote]

Worked with my hands my whole life. First on cars, now remodelling houses. Think callously fingers with some stiffness for fun.

What rifle is that in your avatar?

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 12:33:06 PM »
It's an original Smiths carbine, US Cavalry, a fine gun!

Offline SWFL

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 12:55:34 PM »
It's an original Smiths carbine, US Cavalry, a fine gun!

Nice. I

recently picked up an original Burnside, but haven't shot it yet. How does your's shoot and how long do plastic/rubber cases last?

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 04:00:12 PM »
I tried plastic cases, but the bullets didn't keep the powder compressed to my liking, so I now use brass, and they will last my life time. I'm talking MiniƩs base hollow bullets.

Offline SWFL

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 05:25:39 PM »
What do Smith's usually go for? Are replacement parts easy to get?

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2021, 04:20:04 AM »
I have no idea about the US market

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2021, 01:48:35 PM »
What do Smith's usually go for? Are replacement parts easy to get?
My memory is excellent, but the access time is rather prolonged. There was a sell-buy thing between 2 members of this Forum maybe 5 or 6 yrs ago. A NIB Italian very nice Smiths. If my excellent memory does not play any tricks, I think the sum was $1,200.- (for an original in the lower price range (not the top condition for dedicated collectors) you'll be in the $2,000 to $3,000 range)
As to spare parts, I don't think such will be needed. It's a rather sturdy rifle. The only thing I altered on mine, was to insert a higher front sight to get it on POA for 50 yards (just by swapping one strip of brass for another, no lasting changes to the original).