1858banner

Author Topic: Whitney Navy No 31012  (Read 345 times)

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
Whitney Navy No 31012
« on: December 16, 2020, 10:52:30 PM »

Yes, there´s more to come. Rest assured.
I´ve had one eye open for a Whitney since a while back and have come to realize that either they´re basically worn into the ground or they´re snot expensive.
As it turns out a sorts of "semi" dealer here in Sweden, well i do the occasional job for him and as the story has it he puts this REALLY decent, late, Whitney Navy up for grabs.

Seeing its serial i guess you can gather the rest.

Uhu. It even keeps a tad of original blueing to this day. Albeit for the most part the blue is gone. However.. Take a look at that picture, as you can see no pitting what so ever and all edges are straight as a whistle. In short what i´ve taken on here is an original Whitney in a rather rare state.
Rifling and innards...same thing. Even more so even. The ONLY thing i might adress down the line is the end shake that dials in at like 0,2mm (just shy of 8 thousand of an inch). Yeah. I know, and yes...i´m THAT anal cause most likely the thing never left New Haven with all THAT much less of an end shake.

Anyways. Rifling is on the money too as stated. Needs a fresh crown though, as do in essence ALL old firearms - especially so after 160yrs...

It´s to the level where you can still even notice the very scarce naval scene on the cylinder. That roll engraving otherwise being one of the first things to let go on a Whitney.

Might just be me but i´ve got this notion that the Whits and the early Beals guns were made from softer steel? Thus you either find them worn into the ground OR in "as new" condition - with a hang tag to follow.

This though, as you´re all aware we use these guns, i picked up mainly to shoot. By now i´ve got myself a fair collection of old warhorses and this ol´ Whitney will fit in just fine.

For some reason btw these and the Navy Colts take way less powder than does the Beals? For whatever reason. Where a Beals will take 30 grains and then some a Whitney or Colt navy basically bottoms out at the 25 grains mark if there´s to be room for a reasonable bullet to boot.

So. I´ll get to snappin a few shots of it come tommorow guys and we´ll take it from there. Happy as pie tho  &j(
DVC - 2020

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Whitney Navy No 31012
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 12:30:31 PM »
Might just be me but i´ve got this notion that the Whits and the early Beals guns were made from softer steel?

They were both made from wrought iron.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 09:36:28 PM »
There ya go.
Thx Hawg

Pics..

DVC - 2020

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 09:46:09 PM »

Although faint as hell as you can see there at least IS some blueing left. Ditto, all ledges,curves n lines are on the money and what´s more the checkering on the hammer sharp and what not.

Seeing the serial of the piece this is a 2nd model 5th version. Very late production in other words.

Well. There´s a guy around here fabbing fresh cylinders for them out of SIS-2541 tool room steel why i´m certainly giving thought to that.
Know him.. and in such a case i´ll ask him to cut the chambers a tad deeper (certainly doable with the material in mind) for a capacity more on par with the Beals of mine.

Kind a like them Navys as you hand them 30 grains of pure black and a 135-140 grain ogive. FWIW i have to say that i find that "manly" BS that is "has" to be a 44 exactly that.
Total n utter bullshit really. Difference in shooting impression between a Navy handed 140/30 and an Army handed 145RB/35 is about nil.
On the contrary abouts..as most Navys are slightly smaller to the build they in short get lively due that.

TBH i haven´t gotten around to rip this piece entirely apart, which of course needs to be done, but when i do i´m giving thought to iron out what little is there to be done.
Like resetting end shake, turning a couple of bushings for the cylinder and so on. NO. No it doesn´t "need" it per se, it´s just me being the really anal type when it comes to my guns.
I like them to be all they can be..sorta...  :9)
DVC - 2020

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 03:17:19 AM »
That's an incredible find.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Grumpy gumpy

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 01:45:54 PM »
That’s a very nice piece there
Gumpy

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 10:40:00 PM »
Short n sweet update then.

Took the thing completely apart and... no news there. In short it looks just as good all over. Had the barrel off, no real news there. Rifling, now cleaned, looks as it should on a Whitney.
Semi shallow but 100% intact. No pitting, slight frost - which i presume will just get minor with use.

Nah. This thing is apart from a higher and larger front sight ready to take to the range.
DVC - 2020

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2020, 12:38:32 PM »
Fabulous looking piece, would look even better with a shiny brand new cylinder, then for range days the original can be semi retired  (T^