1858banner

Author Topic: Paper BP Cartridges  (Read 435 times)

Offline Jay3100

Paper BP Cartridges
« on: October 06, 2020, 03:32:54 PM »
I am attempting to make up some paper cartridges to use in my revolver, but I hit a snag. The revolver frame will not allow the assembled cartridge into the chamber, it hits against the frame. Pictures attached. I am using reproduction revolvers and both the Remington and Colt have the same issue. Obviously, I could load the cylinder off the gun, but kinda defeats the whole propose of a slide in cartridge. Any suggestions? Or should I just forget the cartridge idea? Maybe I should be using the forming tool designed for the .36 caliber, that might fit better.
Jay

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Paper BP Cartridges
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 09:52:28 PM »
You need more taper.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Grumpy gumpy

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 03:22:38 AM »
What Hawg said, I watched a youtube video on making them and the guy had a tapered dowel that he formed the cartridge case on, He said it had to taper, but not why
gumpy

Offline Miguel Loco

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 09:37:59 AM »
Follow the links in this thread. Omnivore did a great job with them. Been using paper carts for years.

https://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?topic=9448.0
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 01:33:25 PM »
Yes, more taper. Some guns need a bit of careful clearancing for conical bullets but a RB cart should easily fit.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Gimlet

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 03:12:58 PM »
The first ones I made about ten years ago were made by balancing the ball on the end of a felt tip pen body that was a loose fit in the chambers.
I rolled a half length of king size cigarette paper around it then removed it and filled with powder before screwing the paper around to seal it.
They weren't tapered but they were narrow enough to drop into the cylinders easily.
Now I'm using a tapered dowel, sealing the bottom with a disc of the paper then filling with powder, a lubed wad plus an extra drop of allox and a conical bullet.
They are really easy and quick to use, they also shoot very well.