1858banner

Author Topic: Paper BP Cartridges  (Read 209 times)

Offline Jay3100

Paper BP Cartridges
« on: October 06, 2020, 03:32:54 PM »
I am attempting to make up some paper cartridges to use in my revolver, but I hit a snag. The revolver frame will not allow the assembled cartridge into the chamber, it hits against the frame. Pictures attached. I am using reproduction revolvers and both the Remington and Colt have the same issue. Obviously, I could load the cylinder off the gun, but kinda defeats the whole propose of a slide in cartridge. Any suggestions? Or should I just forget the cartridge idea? Maybe I should be using the forming tool designed for the .36 caliber, that might fit better.
Jay

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Paper BP Cartridges
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 09:52:28 PM »
You need more taper.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Grumpy gumpy

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 03:22:38 AM »
What Hawg said, I watched a youtube video on making them and the guy had a tapered dowel that he formed the cartridge case on, He said it had to taper, but not why
gumpy

Offline Miguel Loco

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 09:37:59 AM »
Follow the links in this thread. Omnivore did a great job with them. Been using paper carts for years.

https://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?topic=9448.0
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 01:33:25 PM »
Yes, more taper. Some guns need a bit of careful clearancing for conical bullets but a RB cart should easily fit.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"