1858banner

Author Topic: Problem Child  (Read 223 times)

Offline Retreever

• Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
Problem Child
« on: September 28, 2020, 02:43:10 PM »
A friend of mine, older gentleman, has a stainless steel Uberti 1858 New Model Army .44 percussion revolver (see pictures attached), has the usual proof marks and date code indicates 1985 manufacture date. It has a non-standard front and rear sight set up and the top of the barrel is stamped with the following 'CLUB FRANCE ARMES'.

At one time it was modified to shoot a Kirst Konversion Cylinder.

He has been having a recurring issue lately where the gun will hold half cock, index , lock up just fine but when he fires the gun after 1 or 2 shots it will no longer index , the cylinder seems to 'jam'. You can free it up manually but it seizes after every shot. There is no forward/backward play with the cylinder un-cocked but when you cock the gun there is a minuscule amount of play.  One other thing is there is almost no gap between cylinder face and the forcing cone.

Is it possible the cylinder face is 'jamming' against the forcing cone when it is being fired? I'd be interested in everyone's feedback as to possible issues and fixes to try.

Thanks
Retreever
Management and Ops consulting pro providing tactical sales and business solutions. Gundog Trainer, Power Lifter Wannabe

Offline Grumpy gumpy

Re: Problem Child
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 03:35:59 PM »
Has the gun been striped down and properly cleaned, I had jamming issues with one of mine and it was a small piece of percussion cap inside jamming the bolt, just a thought
Gumpy

Offline Retreever

• Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
Re: Problem Child
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 04:33:17 AM »
Has the gun been striped down and properly cleaned, I had jamming issues with one of mine and it was a small piece of percussion cap inside jamming the bolt, just a thought
Gumpy

Yes it has been stripped down and thoroughly cleaned several times since the problem started. Even replaced some of the internal parts but did not fix the problem.

Thanks
Retreever
Management and Ops consulting pro providing tactical sales and business solutions. Gundog Trainer, Power Lifter Wannabe