1858banner

Author Topic: Yep. Even icons need service,cause this one´s going shooting  (Read 268 times)

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
Yep. Even icons need service,cause this one´s going shooting
« on: September 15, 2020, 06:51:00 PM »

Yep. The real McCoy. An honest to god 3d model Dragoon from back in the day. In the door as end shake needs to be handled,nipples need to come out to be replaced,the radial play at the front of the cylinder handled and..needs material added to the sear of the trigger.

Made here or not,London proofs. One for each chamber,of course.

Jääääz. The originals just as hefty chunks as the replicas. For those of you that haven´t had one around,the Dragoons are large *ss revolvers.
Think of it as a "regular" 44cal cap n ball revolver that´s seen steroids since day one.

Feat in this case is two fold tho. First up the condition this thing is in,second up that i got it in the door to ready it for use. Once again. Noone loves a coward... (?^ (?^

Yeah. N then sum...

Kinda like a Desert Eagle of its time. Got no idea as to what good really but..they ARE big! I´ll tell you that much.

Rifling´s in rather sound condition considering that this isn´t a steel gun per se after all. Of course there´s pitting in there but on a general whole LOADS of rifling left to service.
See,parts of my task will be to shoot the living snot out of it too. To "polish" the innards of it,which should have been done a looooooong time ago.
Really SHOULD have a fresh crown handed to it though.

Radial play between the cylinder and arbor up front to big. Don´t wanna interfere with the base gun in any manner or way which led to this wafer thin bushing out of bearing bronze.
Cut to size.

To reset end shake to where it needs to be material will be added to the entry/forcing cone. This as that material can always be removed wish be one day.
IMO the correct way of handling this task with an antique and scarce gun as this.

Next up the forcing cone and the sear of the trigger. The latter just needs a dab of high strength material added with the TIG to make the hammer come to rest a few millimeters further back,and due that lock up harder and what not.
Timing per se is on the money as is tho.
DVC - 2020

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Yep. Even icons need service,cause this one´s going shooting
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 10:47:47 PM »
Awesomous!!!!
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 10:48:54 PM »
Holy smokes! I've got three Dragoons, but none original. And if you thing that is a hand cannon, wait 'til you get yer mitts on a Walker...half a pound heavier, longer barrel, longer cylinder that you can actually pack 60gr of 3F under a round ball if you compress the powder good...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 06:22:46 AM »
Thx.
All to aware. Actually my first BP gun was an Uberti 3d model bought back in 1988 if memory serves me.
..been a while  ])M
DVC - 2020

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 06:37:11 PM »
Well, come on, spill the beans...what are your plans for it?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline shotgundaveg

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 06:41:36 PM »
I'm generally not a Remington guy, so I don't post much over here. But holy moly I damn sure am a Colt Dragoon guy!!

That is fantastic Racing. You are a lucky man to have that in your possession. I'd trade all my replicas to have that one real Dragoon.

Consider me subscribed to this thread!

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 04:02:56 AM »
There will sure be updates.

One thing´s for sure tho,it ain´t mine  :-*
I´m just the lucky fellow to repair it and shoot the thing before handing it back to its owner.
DVC - 2020

Offline Sooty Barrels

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 12:24:40 PM »
Awesome gun! I imagine it will hard to hand back over to the owner.
Shoot-em if you got-em!

Offline Sooty Barrels

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 12:26:58 PM »
Also great pictures  very clear!
Shoot-em if you got-em!

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2020, 06:54:36 PM »
Right.

So i felt the need for a "base line". Since wednesday i´ve had a couple of fellow Dutch BP enthusiasts for visit,and as these guys are allowed to own a plethora of old guns,way more than us actually,but are not allowed to use them sans a special permit..well i asked them to come visit and we´d go shoot.
..and hell knows we´ve been shooting. We´ve burned up more than a kilo worth of powder  ->i ->i

The Dragoon came along and i tried it out as is.
Pressure and spit out the opening between the barrel and cylinder rather severe,but..the thing worked. Filled her up with 40 grains of Swiss and a roundball.
For better for worse though the nipples were all over the place. Guess some had been replaced hip-hap and the sure weren´t correct rendering that they first up are the wrong thread and second of all the actual cone is to short.
But..4 of them fired at least. Moved the working nipples around and fired all in all 4 cylinders worth. Recoil,due the weight,pleasant and of course the thing shot quite high.

Back from the range then...
I´ve handled the radial play of the front of the cylinder since earlier,so now it was time to close the deal.

By adding material to the forcing cone and reshaping as well as setting the added material...i ended up with an end shake right on the money i´d say.
Yep. It can be seen that i´ve been at it but quite honestly this was the only reasonable way to do it. Really the muzzle should be handed to lightest touch possible to make the gun be all it can be from a practical aspect,and as the ambition here is quite clear - to be able to shoot the gun well - that might very well be it.
We´ll see.

Due wear on the sear the hammer didn´t go all back at full cock so i added some high end weldrod to the tip of it and reshaped to fit.
Presto,we´ve now got a revolver where the hammer is at rest at full cock just about far back as it goes. This of course altered lockup too,which is now more or less "bank vault".
Cool enough.

Now. Interpreting the threads of the nipples,these are no .225"-32s...but more so 1/4"-32. Most likely not UNEF but,i presume,with a thread angle of 60deg per the old days.
But truth be told..regular 1/4"-32 will suffice..and thus those are on order.

In "shooting the snot" out of it upcoming..nah. Shoot it i will,long and "hard",but i think i´ll limit it to them 40 grains of Swiss and a roundball.
No point putting undue stress on the piece,we´ve got replicas for that with a revolver this scarce,expensive and important.
To be honest i think that putting the thing back in well working order was the correct choice as a gun that can´t shoot..is about as "true" as a stick.

So. Nipples..then head for the range egain i guess  :-* :-* &j( &j(
DVC - 2020

Offline Hellgate

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 10:27:44 AM »
With the longer trigger you have in effect, lowered the rear sight (notch in the tip of the hammer). That is gonna affect the point of impact.
I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap & ball for having over 15 of them. That's a compliment.
SASS #3302 Life, Regulator,  NRA Life
Wolverton Mtn Peacekeepers
Former Orygun Cowboy Ranger
Posse From Hell (Honorary)
RUCAS#58
DGB#29

Offline shotgundaveg

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2020, 03:44:46 PM »
Nice work Racing. Just fantastic.

So great to see an original brought back to shooting status. Kudos to you.

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2020, 05:00:53 PM »
@ Hellgate.
Yep. All to aware of that. Owner asked though and owner received.  :9)

That said i got "Kojak" on it and started to try and figure out what thread the nipples are,and AT that what shape,form n height.

As it turns out my regular vendor for parts,Sixgun.se/Geoffrey Metz,to the rescue. Cause..what i´ve figured is that the nipples are 1/4"-32.
Now.
There ARE nipples of that thread,no worries,but they are "wrong" for the app for a Dragoon so...got lathe,will travel.  )L$ )L$

Getting a fresh set of nipples,worst case scenario would have been to fab 6 fresh out of bar stock i guess,is an absolute must. As is the thing sports nipples of all varietys,down to .225"-32 ones. Now..that´s lose fit for ya right there! LOL

I´ve basically torn the thing apart again and put it back together a few times. For "mockup" if you wish as my intent is that as the owner gets it back there will be no Q marks left.
Just the fact of firing off a set of primers to get rid of the gun oil and then load the thing up and shoot.

True..that rear sight sure DOES impede performance but..that´s a story for another day IMO. One thing at a time and i would have NO sorrows seeing the thing in the door once more one of these days.

But. Fresh set of cones it is. No two ways about it,and after that a day at the range to "check" the thing for both accuracy (kentucky windage then) as well as integrity.

Looking forward to it.
DVC - 2020

Offline 45 Dragoon

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2020, 05:22:09 PM »
With longer cycle (hammer so far back at full cock), timing can't be "correct".  Can you shorten the seer to a closer length? Don't mean to be critical but it's all about the timing. I mean if you're going to add material here and there, machine this and that, shouldn't you get it to function " correctly "?  The precision for the machining  (to get things "proper ") should ultimately end with a " like new"or "as intended" example of the revolver in question. Fortunately, I get to work on "close" to "fairly close" examples every day and they can turn into nightmares in an instant but .  .  .  really? I know this can't do anything but offend and for that I apologize but it may as well be done right  or not at all.

Mike
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 05:28:31 PM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 05:49:12 PM »
I´m all with you.
Sry to say,yes. With hammer that rearward the thing truly goes "bank vault" and as is only then.
No offense taken what so ever.
It´s all on the customer that has asked this to be done according to spec i put forth.

I could always reason with him i guess,but as of current this is the way the story goes at least.

But granted and agreed. I´m all with you on that one.
DVC - 2020