1858banner

Author Topic: Creating aged patina on a .36 Remmie  (Read 83 times)

Offline GrayFox

Creating aged patina on a .36 Remmie
« on: July 15, 2020, 06:22:01 PM »
A while back I traded into a .36 '58 Pietta Remmie that the guy had very poorly removed most of the finish with sandpaper and/or steel wool, then crudely stamped various Georgia Confederate unit designations on it. 

I'd like to try to clean the gun up and then try to put some reasonable patina on it.  I have Birchwood Casey Plum Brown that I have used successfully on muzzle loader barrels, but it probably comes out too dark and uniform.  I've also read, possibly here, about treating it with vinegar or mustard.  I've also purchased a new spare cylinder which I will have to strip of bluing and try to match whatever I do to the revolver. 

I welcome any advice you folks might offer.  GF

Offline Centurion

Re: Creating aged patina on a .36 Remmie
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 06:29:55 PM »
 I used apple vinegar to remove all remaining blue and after that I put some black powder shooting residue patina.

Offline Retreever

• Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 10:39:19 AM »
Blackie Thomas is doing a series on this topic on YouTube , here's the link to the Part 2 which talks about removing the finish.

https://youtu.be/puYEaLtGCFs
Management and Ops consulting pro providing tactical sales and business solutions. Gundog Trainer, Power Lifter Wannabe

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 04:30:00 PM »
Naval Jelly removes bluing and leaves a grayish patina like look that's fairly rust resistant.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.