1858banner

Author Topic: Adams for ya  (Read 603 times)

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
Adams for ya
« on: July 08, 2020, 03:14:39 PM »

This has been an ordeal to say the last. Bought that thing mainland Europe and it got stopped by Swedish customs and i was suspect of gun running!  {:( {:(
Coooooooould say a few days of rather rough language followed. I knew what i was doing,obviously,and basically told these ppl to go F themselves.
Proving as i went.

Really. This wasn´t even remotely funny,all based on their incompetence. Worst part is,as i´m buying and bringing old exempt guns into the country it will most likely come to happen again..and again...and again.
Don´t get me wrong. I´m the first to stand tall and state that customs is doing one of the more vital jobs there is and that they doing so save lives. No question about it,but doing so it would be..preferable if they actually knew what is NOT illegal too!

Idiots.

Anyways. The gun is an old original 44 cal. Or more to the point 54 bore,as the Brits insist on calling it. Worn..but for the most part there.
Actually bought it as "damaged" in as much that for the time being DA mode only. A small piece/link is missing inside the action for the SA to work,will have to fab that myself.

On a general whole though seeing what we forked over for this piece..better condition than expected.

The trigger return spring was missing too,and this is a V shaped jobbie. Handled that by using one from an old scrapped lock for a Swedish musket and done deal. Works a million bux why the gun now is at least usable,albeit DA only for the time being.

Build Q is high. More so than most US made counterparts IMO,and..more complex as you can see too. That the hammer and trigger,and these things lock up a tad different vs the US SA guns. Those familiar with the DA setup of the Starr will nod tho i guess..

Yeah. That there spring is what´s to control that small link that´s missing. The thing is to pivot on an axle,a screw,in from the right side of the gun and lucky me i even found an animation of what it looks like and how it works on YT.

Idea here is for a quick sort of resto. Mainly just get the thing rolling,working,again. Rifling is so-so to be honest but..i´ll keep my yapper shut as far as performance until i´ve gotten to try the thing out.

Make no mistake. An Adams is a full size revolver alright. Nothing small about it at all. 5 shot cylinder though,for whatever reason.
Sports a mechanical safety on the right side of the frame too. The DA mode is rather smooth..not excessive in any way or manner. Absolutely fully shootable in DA mode if you ask me.

Welp.
Stay tuned. I´ll update as this thing progress.
DVC - 2020

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
Re: Adams for ya
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 06:39:34 PM »
Hm.

Looked around,and in turn asked a few...

Yep. That´s SIS-2241 stainless.

´N due the fact that..well,iterations as i had nothing to on apart from approximations. After that shot in turn i added some material with the TIG to act as a "wall" for the sear spring to work on.

Well. Albeit crude as of right now it DOES work. So..one Adams running both ways leddies n gäntlemän...  (?^

Going to push forward tomorrow. Hone n adjust the thing. At that slug the bore. Was told that the 456 Ruger pills will work fine but the thing here is that the barrel dimensions are supposedly way smaller in diameter than the cylinder chambers and it´s SUPPOSED to be that way.?
Indeed the thing actually sports a forcing cone. Guess said forcing cone in combination with the dead soft lead bullets will make the thing fly.
U tell me.
DVC - 2020

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 01:45:24 PM »
Hm.
That SA link i fabbed,got issues with the spring for it binding. Tried to look into it today to no avail.

Anyways. Slugged the thing and it came all in at 454". In short rather large...
DVC - 2020

Offline Retreever

• Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 06:03:18 AM »
Like the gun, very 'steampunk' looking with the leaver mounted to the side. I like it.

Retreever
Management and Ops consulting pro providing tactical sales and business solutions. Gundog Trainer, Power Lifter Wannabe

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 12:56:39 PM »
the thing here is that the barrel dimensions are supposedly way smaller in diameter than the cylinder chambers and it´s SUPPOSED to be that way.?
Indeed the thing actually sports a forcing cone. Guess said forcing cone in combination with the dead soft lead bullets will make the thing fly.
U tell me.

Are you saying the bore is .442 and the chambers are .454? If so no light loads for that puppy and it's probably going to be a lead spitter. Oughta be hella accurate tho.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 06:13:59 PM »
No Hawg!
As it turned out that wifes tale was just utter BS! Have indeed slugged the thing and it dials in approx like any Remington out there.
Ergo,456" Ruger 220 grainers it is.

On the loading lever.
That was designed by Mr Kerr. Yes,the same Kerr that handed us the fabled revolver and rifles of the civil war - out of England.
DVC - 2020

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 07:39:44 PM »

The Adams,along for the ride? HELL no! I haven´t shot an Adams in a looooong time but truth be told this kind of left me a tad in awe to be blunt.
Never had i imagined. Hm.
The Adams is no doubt a VERY pleasant large cal revolver to shoot. In SA and DA both. DA trigger of it is a downright beaut! It´s precise,it´s to the point.
Does what it should. Aims naturally. Hits as hard as any other. True..just 5 shots,then again..make the count then.

Nah. This left me in a position where i realize i need to get me one myself. That simple.

There´s more work to be done here tho.
The loading gate of it is simply to cramped. Couldn´t make the 220s fit in this case either so that´ll have to be relieved a tad. In turn just like the R&S a fresh front sight is needed.
Albeit not as extreme off as the R&S still off by quite a margin,hitting like a foot high at 25 meters. Need to remedy that...but that done (the front sight and the relief cut) i´d say we´re in business!
DVC - 2020