1858banner

Author Topic: Screw driver bits for Uberti new model army  (Read 109 times)

Offline spacejase

Screw driver bits for Uberti new model army
« on: July 06, 2020, 05:43:06 AM »
Hi everyone.  I bought a Brownells screwdriver with magna -tip bits (4 bits), only to discover that they don't fit the slots of my gun. It is an uberti Rem new model army 44 cal.  I am told italian screws have very thin slots and will need thin tip screwdriver bits. I can order them individually if I know what sizes to get. Example: 120-1. You might ask, why brownells? It is because I am already invested in them with the purchase of the screwdriver and I can order extra properly sized bits once I am told what sizes and how many. Here is the link to the page and site and a screen shot : 

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/magna-tip-bits/magna-tip-thin-bits-prod425.aspx

Thanks for you help :)

Offline Grumpy gumpy

Re: Screw driver bits for Uberti new model army
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 12:51:28 AM »
I grind my own to fit each screw, which only helps if you have a grinder or in a pinch a dremel
Gumpy

Offline spacejase

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 04:53:26 AM »
Thank you for your reply Grumpy gummy. Im looking for an exact answer to my specific  question. Which is:  What size magna-tip bits do I need to purchase. I do appreciate your input and I have heard of people doing this, but I feel it runs the risk of compromising the bit in a negative way.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 05:05:11 AM by spacejase »

Offline Grumpy gumpy

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 04:45:15 PM »
You’ll need to measure each screw slot width, breadth  and depth and pick the one closest to it in form, if you can’t grind one down to fit. The screws on your gun may be the same as others or maybe different, they have been known to change in production runs. You could buy a selection and try each to get the best fit
Gumpy