1858banner

Author Topic: New Toys  (Read 209 times)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
New Toys
« on: June 29, 2020, 10:07:09 PM »
A few weeks ago we put a S&W M&P Shield 9 EZ on layaway for my wife. Well for whatever reason SS held back part of her back pay and she got a check today so we went and picked it up. Sorry the pics are so dark the lighting wasn't good and all I had was my phone.

While we were there this lovely woman bought me a new toy as well. A S&W M&P 15 Sport II. It's an entry level AR but the reviews are really good on it. Most of y'all know I don't care for the AR platform or the .556/.223 round but with the things going on these days and the left trying hard to ban them I thought it was prudent I had one. The one I picked out had a red dot and when I asked about extra mags he said unless you just want the red dot for 20.00 more I can sell you the same rifle with iron sights, 4 extra 30 round mags, soft case and 5 boxes of ammo. I couldn't turn that down.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline 45 Dragoon

Re: New Toys
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 03:31:53 AM »
Nice!! Way to go Hawg!!

Mike

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 06:16:22 AM »
Nice score all the way around Hawg.   Welcome to the ranks of reluctant AR owners.     I didn't want one either but I feel like it's now or never and I can't stand to be told I can't have something.   Even if I don't really want or need it.
I looked at S&W stuff when bought the 1911 compact a few weeks ago.  I just wanted to go with .45 acp and a familiar platform.    The 1911 is working out well.

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 06:18:28 AM »
Forgot to say......   hang on that woman,  she's a keeper.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 07:05:04 AM »
Forgot to say......   hang on that woman,  she's a keeper.

She definitely is. I dunno how she puts up with me. 
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline GrayFox

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 09:28:54 AM »
I've been blessed with a wife just like her.  We shot SASS cowboy matches for over 10 years and she always scored among the best in the state with .45 Colt as her round, not a wimp .38.  She considers her Rossi .45 Colt carbine that has had thousands of rounds through it to be her go to rifle.  I finally broke down and had a guy build me an M-4gery.  I'm retired Army and still prefer the M-14.  So, I get it home and she says, "You only got one, where's mine?"  She did 15 years in the Army and only knows the M-16 platform.  Nice to have a spouse who know what 10 round stripper clips and a mag loader clip are.  I hope you enjoy both of your new toys and continue to appreciate your Other Half.  GF

Offline Miguel Loco

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 09:35:33 AM »
Very nice choices!
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 07:28:32 PM »
OK as soon as I get everything sighted in I'll be good for all contingencies. Iron sights for when all else fails, red dot and a 3-9 X 40 scope. I wish the scope mounts were a little taller but they will work ok. The UTG mounts are very robust. A little overkill but they are nice and solid. I wish the red dot had a QD mount but it doesn't take long to swap out. Geez when I think of the black powder guns I could have bought for what I paid for this.  :'( I hope I never need it but if I do I'll have it and it loads faster than anything bp.  )L$

Offline Miguel Loco

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 10:37:22 PM »
Great firearm there Hawg! I love mine...it gets used quite often.
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 06:05:05 AM »
OK range report kinda/sorta. We had to go to Columbus about 30 miles and I've got a buddy that lives about 15 miles north of there so we went to his place. I hate driving that far to bust a few caps. I went all prepared to take pics, measurements and what all but it was just so dang hot even in the shade after I got targets set up I didn't even feel like shooting anymore. My wife shot her S&W EZ first from about 10 yards and was all over the place but hitting paper. Plus she was having trouble with the grip safety and I couldn't see where she was doing anything wrong. I tried a few shots and was hitting in the red which was about 2.5 inches. This thing was factory sighted dead on. I didn't have any problems with the grip safety. She shot the next mag and was getting better but still having problems with the grip safety. I think maybe her grip was too loose since she doesn't have a lot of hand strength. I'm going to work with her on it dry firing and see what can be done. I may have to tape it down or something. It does have a thumb safety so no harm in doing that. As for the AR I started at 50 yards with iron sights and it was almost dead on laterally but a few inches low. I didn't feel like messing with the front sight so went to the red dot and wasn't even hitting paper. I tried a shot at the very top of the target and nada so I tried at the very bottom and got paper close to the top and left. 10 rounds later firing two shot groups I had it dialed in. I didn't measure jack and didn't take pics but the two shot groups all had holes touching or very close to touching. I didn't put the scope on it and had intended to move back to 100 yards but I was just beat down. The targets were shoot n see but the .223 rounds just zipped through without exposing the green so I had to walk down after every two shots to see where they were going. There were no malfunctions with either gun. I also took the Ruger Single Six I got a few months ago. I loaded six rounds and it was dead on at 10 yards so I said the heck with it and went home. As an aside I paid 10 bucks for a little cheapo target frame which wasn't worth bringing home after a couple of 9 MM hits and a .223 lol

Offline Retreever

• Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 01:53:30 PM »
Got some new toys myself in the last week.

Winchester 1892 Lever 45LC (Chiapp Repro) and an antique Springfield 1894 Trapdoor 45-70 (Mfg 1889).

Loaded some BP cartridges for the Springfield this morning, hitting the range with both of them tomorrow.

Retreever

Management and Ops consulting pro providing tactical sales and business solutions. Gundog Trainer, Power Lifter Wannabe

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 02:28:46 PM »
Cool Beans. I had an 1884 trapdoor carbine made in 1889 but I traded it for some other cool toys worth much, much more than I gave for it.

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2020, 02:53:44 PM »
Got some new toys myself in the last week.

Winchester 1892 Lever 45LC (Chiapp Repro) and an antique Springfield 1894 Trapdoor 45-70 (Mfg 1889).

Loaded some BP cartridges for the Springfield this morning, hitting the range with both of them tomorrow.

Retreever

I have the same 1892 Chiappa in 44 WCF.   I have been very pleased with it.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 03:26:22 PM »
One of the things I got for my trapdoor was an 1892 Rossi in 44-40.