1858banner

Author Topic: Pietta Indexing Except One Notch  (Read 68 times)

Offline Retreever

• Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
Pietta Indexing Except One Notch
« on: June 22, 2020, 09:46:06 AM »
Bought a parts gun off an auction ($100.00USD), replaced a couple of screws and the mainspring reassembled and seems to be in working order - indexes and locks up on all notches except for one. Should I try cleaning out the sides of the one notch? and what should I use? Also one of the nipples appears seized in the cylinder - can you apply heat and how do you do it - I have a propane torch.

Thanks, Roger
Management and Ops consulting pro providing tactical sales and business solutions. Gundog Trainer, Power Lifter Wannabe

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Pietta Indexing Except One Notch
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 11:32:51 AM »
I would check to see if the edge of the notch is peened. I would try putting it in a pan of boiling water for a few minutes.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Grumpy gumpy

Re: Pietta Indexing Except One Notch
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 06:31:42 PM »
When I remove stuck barrels on long arms I warm the receiver to the temperature just above what’s comfortable to handle and apply penetrating oil (50-50 ATF and acetone) to the threaded area, have only done this on one stuck nipple before( shotgun) so assume that a full cylinder would work the same. Usually takes several applications to soak in and just breaks free. And remember acetone is highly flammable, so keep away from flames
Gumpy