1858banner

Author Topic: '58 Uberti Remington cylinder (bolt) notches  (Read 200 times)

Offline Brownie

'58 Uberti Remington cylinder (bolt) notches
« on: September 16, 2020, 08:16:59 PM »
Greetings to all,

In 2018 I purchased a new Uberti 1858 Remington replica in .36 caliber. To date, I have put close to 770 rounds through it. I have carefully polished the bolt and trigger spring mating surfaces, and the action seems as smooth as any of my .22 or centerfire single actions, (Colts, and Rugers).

It is great fun to shoot and no less accurate than any of my cartridge guns. It is decidedly more accurate than either of my second generation Colts, … ’51 Navy, or ’62 Police.  It seems at its best with 15 hrs. FFFG, C.of Wheat filler, and .375 Hornady R/B.  Cast R/B’s seem less consistent.

I did replace the nipples with S. S. versions from T. of the Wolf. They held the caps much better than the factory nipples.  The only other changes I’ve made was to add a small brass spacer on the screw shaft between the trigger and the bolt. Seemed like too much lateral movement of the trigger.
The other was to solder up a new front sight a little wider (2 mm) than the factory unit. I think the additional width makes sighting easier, adding to its accuracy.

I have noticed that the bolt “rises to the occasion” slightly early, and has created a little shallow lead-in notch 3 mm wide similar to the notch designs of Colts and Rugers. After a search on this forum, I find that apparently this is a normal condition. It is creating (peening) a very very tiny lip of metal on the edge of the cylinder notch.   

So therefore my questions are;

1)  Does the above early bolt drop create future problems  ?
2)  Can’t hurt to polish the bolt face,….  right ?
3)  Shim between the trigger and bolt good / bad idea?
4)  Other suggestions of polish points, or minor adjustments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this, and for any suggestions, or comments any of you may offer.

Brownie

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: '58 Uberti Remington cylinder (bolt) notches
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 08:44:38 PM »
The bolt should pop up at least a full bolt width before the notch. It sounds like yours is hitting right at the edge of the notch.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 09:34:15 PM »
Do an internet search for a series of PDF articles called "Tuning the Open Top Colts" by Larsen E. Pettifogger (SASS name). While the articles deal specifically with open tops, the section regarding bolt tuning, timing, and fit are relevant to the Remington Navy 'belt pistol' you have and you'll understand much better what issues you are dealing with and how to rectify/improve them. I had saved these articles as links in the Library thread on this forum, but I think those links are no longer active?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Sooty Barrels

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 01:07:33 PM »
Yes, this is very good information.
Shoot-em if you got-em!