1858banner

Author Topic: Lorenz  (Read 357 times)

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
Re: Lorenz
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2020, 07:53:36 PM »
Uhu.
I´d wager this too brother.

You know,i´ve spent more time than usual getting this barrel clean but in the end there really is no replacing actually using it. The lube,the pressure and temperatures involved and so on.. Whole different ballgame then using solvents and heat to revive a "barrel lost".

Today i didn´t clean the rifle even once. Adding ample amounts of SPG to the now rather massive hollow of the bullets made this a reality,and all in all closer to 50 rounds were routed out of that barrel over the day.

As i got back to the shop,cleaning time. Of course,and this with a brush and regular dishwasher detergent n running water. Having done that though,and of course there were ample amounts of soot to get rid of,i then proceeded to run oven cleaner down the barrel..and a bronze brush.
Indeed,despite the work invested,out came a tad of rust once more. No doubt from the chamber end of the barrel but that said..
Just oiled the barrel up and headed for home. Always the night owl it just dawned on me that i hadn´t checked the rifling and oh...  {L*
Uhu. Now it´s starting to shine. Really. Of course there´s a tad of pitting in there,but as the barrel is just becoming cleaner and cleaner the spread of that disease has shown to be rather limited after all. Really. Again,with approx just shy of 50 booms out of the old stick today that really WAS what the doctor ordered i guess.
Having handed it a fresh crown,having cleaned it out as i have and now shooting it it´s starting to show where it´s at,for real,and i´d now give it a like 7,5 out of 10 - seeing it after all is a 163yr old cast barrel.

Funny..how some things just work out in the end  }),

The patching of them slightly to small bullets seems to have worked what´s more, and about ALL "roughness" there when loading up the first few times has just..vanished. Gone.
In hindsight though,good call to spray them bullets with grease.

Going to bring the rifle for the shop again come tomorrow. This time to do what i forgot today,hand the barrel some turpentine to get rid of the last bit of leading of years passed.
That and of course add a bit of steel to the top of the front sight with the TIG welder. Cause make no mistake,the ambition here is dead clear.
A piece of living history that can be used to compete with.

Realize what it´ll take as far as bullet development and load ditto,but be that as it may..that IS the direction i´m taking with this now beautifully working old Lorenz.   ])M
DVC - 2020

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2020, 12:48:38 PM »
Quote from Racing " Me eyesight,open sights and 100 meters in COMBINATION with the fact of a foot of Kentucky....."
Excellent job, excellent shooting. That target is stone dead, my view.

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2020, 06:36:36 AM »
Thx Len.

Have since added material to the front sight and let a file hit that...so,ready to go a second...

Believe i missed posting a pic of them generic bullets and the hollow of them.

Fact is,i wonder if patching is even needed? We´re talking a mere 2/10 of a millimeter here. Or..8/1000 of a inch...
DVC - 2020

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2020, 04:18:28 PM »
Optimum size for a minie is 0.001-0.002 under bore size. Mine are 0.003 and work great and load easy. I would imagine without patching yours would have too much blow by to be accurate but nothing like trying a few to see.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2020, 05:24:07 PM »
Yes Hawg.
That much we can agree on.
Thing is..Minie or not,the boolits i cast here are out of super soft lead. As dead soft as lead comes even. Compressing the skirt of them LEE boolits for instance can be done with finger pressure even.

That still doesn´t equate to that bore size can or should be overlooked. True enough,and thus my reasoning for paper patching them slugs.
Put another way i sincerly doubt that paper patching them to about "press fit" size hurts.

Then again.
Be adviced that as i shoved the first few shots down that barrel i had like an obstruction of sorts like a foot down or so and this gave way as i used the rifle.
As i´ve noted previously i was even along the idea of sending a few slugs down the barrel with valve grinding compound at first,but having shot the thing like short of 50 booms the other day...loading her up has just become more and more "fluid". Ie;pressure needed down the bore is about the same until you reach what i´d like to call the breech area,which is like 10" off the base plug,where the thing opens up and from what i´ve been told they´re designed that way to cater to blackpowder deposits and soot while amidst battle.

I´ll snap a fresh set of pics of the barrel. What had changed is that now there´s actually even a shine to the thing,which sure wasn´t present previously.

I guess what i´m saying is that as i use the thing i bet that the barrel will come to "settle". Heat and pressures involved shooting the thing,coupled with more or less anal cleaning afterwards,makes for wonders when it comes to that.
I´ve after all gone after a barrel (read-rifling) or two in really bad shape by now and they have at ALL counts come out better after some sincere use.

Is the idea of valve grinding compound out? Not at all,i might very well revert to that if i can´t get the thing to group. Future will tell.
DVC - 2020

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2020, 07:38:09 PM »
Just my opinion but I'would nix the valve grinding compound. That will wear down the rifling even more. You can compress them easily but how far will they expand before splitting under pressure? I would relate it to using a correct sized minie and over powering it. I know my Enfield loses accuracy if I use over 70 grains of powder. Reason being the pressure blows past the skirt. I do not know if the skirts split or get blown off like some say happens. I have never recovered an over powered minie. With a minie ball more power is not a good idea. Original service charges with a Springfield were 60 grains and 65 for the Enfield. I imagine the Lorenz is right around the same.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.