1858banner

Author Topic: Rand d 45 colt  (Read 112 times)

Offline Wally44

Rand d 45 colt
« on: May 14, 2020, 08:16:35 AM »
They say 12000 psi can I load a full case of 3f swiss and still  be under the limit
Armed farm boy

Offline Centurion

Re: Rand d 45 colt
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 08:35:44 AM »
You can fill the case up to the mouth and after that compress the powder with the bullet up to the correspondent overall lenght and won't have any overpressure problem as far as you use your 3f holly black.

Just a stout shot... But anything else...but remember, don't do it with substitutes, just good old black powder!

Offline Centurion

Re: Rand d 45 colt
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 08:48:41 AM »
You can fill the case up to the mouth and after that compress the powder with the bullet up to the correspondent overall lenght and won't have any overpressure problem as far as you use your 3f holly black.

Just a stout shot... But anything else...but remember, don't do it with substitutes, just good old black powder!

I'm doing it usually with my 44 WCF cartridges and they perform superb in my original Winchester 73 saddle ring carbine from 1887. Holly black filling the case up to the mouth (30 grains by weight with my homemade powder, 40 by volume) and duly compressed with a Lee 200 grains round nose flat point bullet.