1858banner

Author Topic: Original Remington New Model Navy.  (Read 389 times)

Offline Certus

Original Remington New Model Navy.
« on: April 30, 2020, 06:49:49 AM »
Hi,

I currently shoot reproduction Uberti Remington NMA revolvers as we are not permitted to posses any breech loading pistols or revolvers here in the UK.

I really enjoy shooting these classic old guns and can't say I really miss my Smith & Wesson's all that much. However, I really felt a need to get an original example so recently bought this New Model Navy dating from 1864. With not much else to do, I have now fully stripped and cleaned the gun which retains its accurate timing and has a remarkably good bore with much of its refiling still clearly visible. I fully intend to shoot it, albeit sparingly once the dreaded Corona virus restrictions are eventually lifted, but just cleaning and preparing it has certainly helped to pass the time.

Brian

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Original Remington New Model Navy.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 11:27:37 AM »
Very nice looking Remington you have there Brian.   I'm jealous.    Seems like some of the best looking specimens I see turn up in Europe somewhere.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 11:29:57 AM »
Congrats to that good looking Navy.

Offline Hellgate

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 11:53:52 AM »
Congrats!
Certus, how easy or difficult is it to get black powder for this piece of history? :-*
I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap & ball for having over 15 of them. That's a compliment.
SASS #3302 Life, Regulator,  NRA Life
Wolverton Mtn Peacekeepers
Former Orygun Cowboy Ranger
Posse From Hell (Honorary)
RUCAS#58
DGB#29

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 08:34:44 PM »
Congratulations on getting a very nice looking gun. I don't have an original Navy, but do have 2 original Armies. I replaced the nipples on one and bought a replica cylinder that fits original guns as the second  cylinder has a possible crack. I regret to say I haven't returned to those projects. Hopefully that will change soon.

Offline Certus

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 05:20:15 AM »
Congrats!
Certus, how easy or difficult is it to get black powder for this piece of history? :-*
[/quote}

Hi,
To legally possess a muzzle loading firearm in the UK which is to be actually used, rather than kept solely as an ornament or curio, a Firearm Certificate (FAC) is necessary irrespective of the age of the firearm. All the same restrictions apply as they do to a modern breech-loading firearm. The restrictions on the grant of a Black Powder related Explosives Certificate are also quite severe and the specified storage regulations must be in place before a certificate can be issued.

To legally possess blackpowder for use in a firearm it is necessary to hold a, "Certificate to Acquire and Keep Explosives". This is obtainable from the police and lasts for up to five years (it is usually dated to expire with an associated FAC). It is not mandatory to hold a Firearm Certificate before applying for an Explosive Certificate.

Effective from 1 July 2012 the Explosive Certificate also incorporates an authority to transport, as well as possess and store explosives, so it is no longer necessary to apply for a separate authority to transport.

The maximum amount of powder which may be held for personal use is 15 kilograms and there are specific rules on how it should be stored. Broadly the rules are that powder should be stored in a wooden (NOT metal) box constructed of plywood with a minimum thickness of 18 mm – or material with an equal or greater fire and physical resistance.

Due to the above restrictions, I use a black powder substitute (777) in my reproduction revolvers as these require much less stringent storage conditions.

Although I mostly shoot at outdoor ranges, I have had one of my Uberti Remingtons converted to use smokeless (nitro) powder and 209 shotgun primers for indoor use at ranges where black powder guns are not usually allowed,

Brian

Offline 44rem

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 01:27:43 PM »
I was sent to Coventry once. Also lived in Clapham. Good gun.
I am an old engraver and shoot all Remingtons. Smells like victory to me.

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 07:04:47 PM »
Congrats on the Navy!
In a different way to you we´re kind of limited around here in Viking land too,so originals only if you want to stay exempt.
To us tho BP and especially subs are still just ID only really. (As are primers and what not).

Of course you should shoot it! It´s what it is intended to do!  {L*

IMO..all of that "which is better" and "which is more" BS is exactly that. BS. I take just as much pleasure in using my Beals Navy as any of the Army ones i´ve got.
From a shooter perspective the difference is very very slim and the size of the Navy revolvers often go a long way for most.. Just makes them that tad more nimble.
DVC - 2020

Offline Certus

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 08:41:06 AM »
Hello,
I probably won't be able to resist shooting it albeit sparingly if only for comparison with my modern reproductions.
Brian

Offline Sooty Barrels

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 01:56:00 PM »
Nice original, the patina looks good
Shoot-em if you got-em!

Offline Fielder

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 08:52:55 PM »
Wonderful thread. Am jealous of original Remington. Thread Paul vs. Watermelon shows a video of percussion pistol for personnel defense. Almost all pistols are for close range use and a percussion type gives up little for most serious work compared to modern, I would say.