1858banner

Author Topic: Conicals for Paper Cartridges .44 calibre  (Read 760 times)

Offline Desperate Lee

• American by birth, Texan by the grace of GOD
Re: Conicals for Paper Cartridges .44 calibre
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2020, 07:37:23 PM »
I just ordered some of these from TOTW. Anyone try these with success? If so what loads and what components. Powder? Wad if any? Filler if any? Compression if any?
 &j(
DL

Bullets
.450" diameter, 200 grain,
conical revolver bullet for .44 Army Revolvers,
cast from LEE 90382, pure lead
Part Number:   BALL-450-200
Availability:   In Stock
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when your stupid." John Wayne

Marine Corps League #1452 Ellis County Texas
NRA Life Member since 1988
Knights of Columbus 3rd Degree

Offline Gimlet

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2020, 01:02:40 PM »
I'm using LEE 90384 bullets that I cast myself and put them in paper cartridges I make from king size cigarette papers, I cut a 0.75" disc from one end of the papers and cut the remainder in half.
I fill them with 24grains by volume of black powder then a wonder wad, then the pasted bullet with a drop of Allox on the base of it.
I am able to seat the slightly larger conicals because I've reamed out the chambers to 11.5mm (0.4527559").

Offline Grumpy gumpy

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2020, 01:46:08 PM »
I'm using LEE 90384 bullets that I cast myself and put them in paper cartridges I make from king size cigarette papers, I cut a 0.75" disc from one end of the papers and cut the remainder in half.
I fill them with 24grains by volume of black powder then a wonder wad, then the pasted bullet with a drop of Allox on the base of it.
I am able to seat the slightly larger conicals because I've reamed out the chambers to 11.5mm (0.4527559").
That’s a really clear photo. Enlarges well  (T^
Have you treated the papers at all, they look translucent?
Gumpy

Offline Gimlet

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2020, 02:54:30 PM »
Not really necessary to treat cigarette papers as they're normally slightly nitrated anyway.
I don't seem to get much paper residue in the chamber's when I use it on my 30yrd home range.
The bullets are actually ROA size 220 grain and I use the same ammo in both my ROA and Pieta Remington New Army.
They load fairly easily with a firm thumb pressure to seat them to the first ring, then they have plenty of clearance to get under the ram without any frame modification.

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2020, 04:26:28 PM »
I nitrated the last batch I rolled in March. Had plans to fire them when I was home last week, but no clue where the Missus placed them.
On a solo truck now, figure cartridge rolling will be a great past-time in truck stops.
Soaking this up like a Parched sponge.