1858banner

Author Topic: Conicals for Paper Cartridges .44 calibre  (Read 543 times)

Offline Retreever

• Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
Conicals for Paper Cartridges .44 calibre
« on: April 25, 2020, 03:05:54 PM »
Looking for recommendations, either bullets to buy or a mold. Comments I've read recommend no lube rings but I have not been able find anything.

Thanks Retreever
Management and Ops consulting pro providing tactical sales and business solutions. Gundog Trainer, Power Lifter Wannabe

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Conicals for Paper Cartridges .44 calibre
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 06:54:41 PM »
Unless you just want a period bullet I'd go with this one. It's tapered at the base so it will load straight. I dunno why anybody would recommend a bullet without grooves. I would dip lube the cartridges to just past the edge of the paper.  https://www.cabelas.com/product/home/bullet-casting/pc/105625080/c/549441180/lee-conical-bp-revolver-bullet-mold/740354.uts?slotId=1
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 08:11:01 PM »
I agree with Hawg on the Lee conical bullet.    Another option is the Johnston & Dow bullet mold from Eras Gone Bullet molds.  http://erasgonebullets.webstarts.com/
As far as I'm concerned lube grooves are a good thing.  You don't have to lube them if you don't want to.     Eras Gone also has a new bullet mold out that is a copy of the Kerr bullet.  I don't have any experience with it but you can read about it on their web site.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 11:00:26 PM »
I just went to their site and looked at the Kerr bullets. I think I have a couple of fired ones in my boxcollection of CW bullets.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Retreever

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 07:31:34 AM »
Thanks Hawg and Mike appreciate the info. Friend of mine actually just bought ErasGoneBy .36 calibre mold but being in Canada it took more than a month to get here. I will likely go for the Lee mold as we have a couple of Lee distributors here.

Retreever
Management and Ops consulting pro providing tactical sales and business solutions. Gundog Trainer, Power Lifter Wannabe

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 03:30:59 PM »
I prefer lube grooves on my cons.  I like a nice big meplat, too.  70% is about right.  The Civil War guys missed the boat on those pointy conicals.  E. Keith knew that.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline 51colt

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 10:49:26 AM »
I know I am late to the party. There is a guy having Lee make C and B bullet molds made from bullets found on CW battlefields. They are not cheap 65.00 plus shipping. He makes Colt 31, 36, 44, Kerr, Dragoon, and Richmond Laboratory 36cal bullets. He sells these in lots so you have to buy them when they are in stock. Eras Gone Bullet Molds He is on Facebook and youtube and http://erasgonebullets.webstarts.com/

I bought the Richmond Lab mold, I cast a batch but have not had a chance to shoot any yet. Next week I will try them out. The bullet is 147gr, it has a narrow heel for easy loading and it has a .390 dia.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 10:59:51 AM by 51colt »
Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline oldhunter1954

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 03:43:40 PM »
 I have a Pietta 1858 Remington Steel Army .44 8 inch barrel. I purchased Bullets .450" diameter, 200 grain, conical revolver bullet for .44 Army Revolvers, cast from LEE 90382 from Track of the Wolf, Inc. The cast bullets seem to be the same exact size as the cylinder chamber. They do not even start into the cylinder chamber so I cannot rotate the cylinder under the loading lever. Am I doing this wrong? Any idea or help.

Regards,
Jerry

Offline AntiqueSledMan

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2020, 03:50:34 AM »
Hello oldhunter1954,

Different alloys will shrink more than others, sounds like you might need a cylinder press.
One could use a short starter for loading off the revolver, sounds like they should be good & tight.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline oldhunter1954

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 05:34:01 AM »
thanks AntiqueSledMan,

I am looking for The Eras Gone Johnston & Dow bullet. The bullet weighs 217 grains, the band is .460 in diameter and the ogive just above the groove is .451.  The long heel is .428 and will fit easily into the chamber even if wrapped in cartridge paper for those who prefer to prepare combustable cartridges. I believe these will be very easy to start into the chamber. Has anyone had any experience with these bullets.

Offline oldhunter1954

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2020, 03:47:22 PM »
Pietta 1858 Remington Steel Army .44 8 inch barrel. I purchased Bullets .450" diameter, 200 grain, conical revolver bullet for .44 Army Revolvers, cast from LEE 90382 from Track of the Wolf, Inc. - - - -  Update : I just purchased a Traditions Black Powder Reloading Stand Revolver 44 Caliber. With the help of the reloading stand I was able to get the conical started in nice and straight. It will now fit under the loading lever. But I think I will plan to just use the reloading stand to do all six chambers and then I can put the cylinder back in the gun ready to be capped. this is good because I am contemplating buying the Lee 90383 mold and try my hand at casting some bullets.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2020, 04:02:32 AM »
Hello oldhunter1954,

Remember you want pure lead, soft is the key.
Wheel weights are to hard.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline 44rem

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 11:01:29 AM »
In big smoke here . My caster does a 457 conical and resizes it to .454 .It works in my original remington I can send you one by regular mail if you want. See if it fits it seemed tight in another man's uberti by my gun is original. 44Rem in Tor.
I am an old engraver and shoot all Remingtons. Smells like victory to me.

Offline Retreever

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 02:19:35 PM »
UPDATE: I cast my first conical's using the Lee .450 mold and loaded aprox 50 paper cartridges but when I went to load my revolver for the range this weekend found it very difficult to seat the bullets. Looks like the lead I used was just way too hard so need to find a new source for lead.

Retreever

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2020, 04:08:45 PM »
UPDATE: I cast my first conical's using the Lee .450 mold and loaded aprox 50 paper cartridges but when I went to load my revolver for the range this weekend found it very difficult to seat the bullets. Looks like the lead I used was just way too hard so need to find a new source for lead.

Retreever

You need pure lead. No alloys. You can find it on eBay, Rotometals sells it, and there is usually plenty over on the Cast Boolits forum.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"