1858banner

Author Topic: Conicals for Paper Cartridges .44 calibre  (Read 193 times)

Offline Retreever

• Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
Conicals for Paper Cartridges .44 calibre
« on: April 25, 2020, 03:05:54 PM »
Looking for recommendations, either bullets to buy or a mold. Comments I've read recommend no lube rings but I have not been able find anything.

Thanks Retreever
Management and Ops consulting pro providing tactical sales and business solutions. Gundog Trainer, Power Lifter Wannabe

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Conicals for Paper Cartridges .44 calibre
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 06:54:41 PM »
Unless you just want a period bullet I'd go with this one. It's tapered at the base so it will load straight. I dunno why anybody would recommend a bullet without grooves. I would dip lube the cartridges to just past the edge of the paper.  https://www.cabelas.com/product/home/bullet-casting/pc/105625080/c/549441180/lee-conical-bp-revolver-bullet-mold/740354.uts?slotId=1
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 08:11:01 PM »
I agree with Hawg on the Lee conical bullet.    Another option is the Johnston & Dow bullet mold from Eras Gone Bullet molds.  http://erasgonebullets.webstarts.com/
As far as I'm concerned lube grooves are a good thing.  You don't have to lube them if you don't want to.     Eras Gone also has a new bullet mold out that is a copy of the Kerr bullet.  I don't have any experience with it but you can read about it on their web site.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 11:00:26 PM »
I just went to their site and looked at the Kerr bullets. I think I have a couple of fired ones in my boxcollection of CW bullets.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Retreever

• Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 07:31:34 AM »
Thanks Hawg and Mike appreciate the info. Friend of mine actually just bought ErasGoneBy .36 calibre mold but being in Canada it took more than a month to get here. I will likely go for the Lee mold as we have a couple of Lee distributors here.

Retreever
Management and Ops consulting pro providing tactical sales and business solutions. Gundog Trainer, Power Lifter Wannabe

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 03:30:59 PM »
I prefer lube grooves on my cons.  I like a nice big meplat, too.  70% is about right.  The Civil War guys missed the boat on those pointy conicals.  E. Keith knew that.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline 51colt

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 10:49:26 AM »
I know I am late to the party. There is a guy having Lee make C and B bullet molds made from bullets found on CW battlefields. They are not cheap 65.00 plus shipping. He makes Colt 31, 36, 44, Kerr, Dragoon, and Richmond Laboratory 36cal bullets. He sells these in lots so you have to buy them when they are in stock. Eras Gone Bullet Molds He is on Facebook and youtube and http://erasgonebullets.webstarts.com/

I bought the Richmond Lab mold, I cast a batch but have not had a chance to shoot any yet. Next week I will try them out. The bullet is 147gr, it has a narrow heel for easy loading and it has a .390 dia.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 10:59:51 AM by 51colt »
Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------