1858banner

Author Topic: Vectan PNF2 and RWS 1075 primers in France...  (Read 119 times)

Offline Johnno

Vectan PNF2 and RWS 1075 primers in France...
« on: March 19, 2020, 01:23:58 PM »
Okay,

In between working from home by telephone maybe I have too much time on my hands - and maybe I like to try a long shot sometimes...

I only moved to France a few weeks ago - I have a nice shiny new Pietta Remington 1858 (the stainless version) and I have a little of the (real) black powder I brought with me from Sweden and about half a tin of the RWS 1075 primers...

I am out in the countryside and I REALLY want to shoot my gun - and getting everything else delivered (parts etc) is no problem - even in the middle of the crazy Corona Virus thing and the lockdown going on in France here BUT...

It seems to be IMPOSSIBLE for me to get the powder I want (Vectan PNF2) or the primers (RWS 1075) without physically driving to a gun shop to pick it up - which is impossible - because all the gun shops are closed except for their online stores and suddenly it seems NONE of them are able to ship ''hazardous materials'' (powder or primers) because of the corona virus situation (?????)

If I only have a tiny bit of powder and a few caps left there is no way I want to shoot my gun :(

Does anyone know anyone who is in the same part of France as me (La Hauteville) and who has powder and primers to sell ?

I know - its a long shot - but I am trying anyway :)

John.

Offline necessaryevil

Re: Vectan PNF2 and RWS 1075 primers in France...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 08:33:35 AM »
Hola

I'm down in Spain, same here all gunshops closed as per all other non essential businesses. I hate to say it but I think you are really struggling there. Just a suggestion try one of the French black powder forums, thing is they are all in the same boat as you unobtanium so you may not get anybody wanting to part with what they have ?

http://poudrenoire-free-fr.superforum.fr/

https://blackpowderonly.forumactif.org/

Good luck

Offline Johnno

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 08:41:08 AM »
Thanks for that my friend :)

Yes - I think you might be right...

I found one black powder forum here already and have started posting there and everybody is friendly and cool about me using google translate to communicate in French (lol) but yes, nobody is volunteering to send me powder and primers yet lol...

Todo es un cilombo en esta momento amigo lol

I will have to learn French now I am here of course - and it took me years just to pick up basic Argentine Spanish when I was living down there but I will get there eventually...

Until I can get powder and primers though no shooting with my new Pietta Remington 1858 I suppose - I have a tiny bit of powder I brought with me from Sweden when I moved here 4 weeks ago but its only enough for 20 or 30 shots and I really don't feel like shooting it off - not until I get a fresh supply of powder and primers :(

John.

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 08:45:10 AM »
Thanks for that my friend :)

Yes - I think you might be right...

I found one black powder forum here already and have started posting there and everybody is friendly and cool about me using google translate to communicate in French (lol) but yes, nobody is volunteering to send me powder and primers yet lol...

Todo es un cilombo en esta momento amigo lol

I will have to learn French now I am here of course - and it took me years just to pick up basic Argentine Spanish when I was living down there but I will get there eventually...

Until I can get powder and primers though no shooting with my new Pietta Remington 1858 I suppose - I have a tiny bit of powder I brought with me from Sweden when I moved here 4 weeks ago but its only enough for 20 or 30 shots and I really don't feel like shooting it off - not until I get a fresh supply of powder and primers :(

John.

Denada Amigo

If I were you with what's going on all over the world I wouldn't waste what little you have for the sake of a bit of practice, you may be needing it ?  ;)

Offline Johnno

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 09:00:15 AM »
Verdad amigo :)

Exactamente - por esta raison :)

Pero, ssssssssssh :)

Offline Johnno

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 05:42:48 PM »
Hi again to anyone who might be reading this...

In the short term while I'm going nuts here in France with the second week of total lockdown well and truly under way I have managed to score some powder but NOT exactly what I was after...

Its still Vectan:

https://www.armurerie-auxerre.com/le-tir-sportif/munitions-consommables/composants-poudres-noires/poudres/poudre-agglom-1890.html

But this is not the standard thing at all - its compressed powder ''pellets''...

For those of you who understand French or can handle youtube subtitles it is discussed here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5WsQEoR5oA

What I find interesting is that quite a few people find it dirty/messy (um, black powder lol) BUT also not so reliable or powerful - but it seems to be the ONLY option for those of us in France right now who don't live right next door to an Armeria...

The consensus SEEMS to be that if you take the time to grind it back down into powder - as fine as you can - it suddenly gets some pretty reasonable power back and is actually pretty good...

I'm wondering if anyone knows ANYTHING at all about this product and if it is some sort of watered down Vectan PNF2 that has been turned into pellets or what ?

I've spent an hour today grinding a whole box of ''48 shots'' back into powder but don't expect to actually be able to TEST it until after the lockdown is over - and in the meantime what I REALLY want is Vectan PNF2 - or at least its equivalent like Swiss fffg etc...

I am assuming I can probably still load 30 grains/2 grams under a 10mm wad and a roundball and get a reasonably decent shot out of that but if anyone who speaks English knows about this I would really like to know...

Many thanks in advance,

John.

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 03:45:55 AM »
Hola buenas dias.

I have a packet of these pellets. I bought them from Westernguns dot FR near Bordeaux whilst driving back to Spain from England.

Max the owner speaks very good English far better than my French. He has a cute chic there who speaks good Spanish so I was all good in there.

He Confirmed what you have said. Although they are convenient the pellets are not very powerful and can problematic to ignite reliably. I think you do right to grind them up into poweder and use a 30 grain charge.

I told him I had some Hodgdon T7 in the car which he can't get. He offered me a swap two for one, T7 for Swiss BP................I should have took him up on it.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 11:26:09 AM by necessaryevil »

Offline Johnno

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 04:02:33 AM »
I think I bought mine from the same place lol...

And the wads also...

Yes - hopefully as powder the performance will be better and I still haven't given up TOTALLY yet - if I can get someone to send me Vectan PNF2 and RWS 1075 primers by regular mail - from inside France or outside France - that is what I will do - even if I have to pay extra lol...

I never like to give up or lose - never say die lol

My wife says I am actually more stubborn than her - and yes, its probably true...

Hopefully all is well with you down there amigo - keep your head down and stay say - via con los dioses :)

John.