1858banner

Author Topic: How To Make My Own 44 cal Cap & Ball Revolvers Wads  (Read 428 times)

Offline trapper44

How To Make My Own 44 cal Cap & Ball Revolvers Wads
« on: February 23, 2020, 04:34:12 PM »
Hey
Fellas how could I go about making my own wads for my C&B revolver thanks ahead

Offline Grumpy gumpy

Re: How To Make My Own 44 cal Cap & Ball Revolvers Wads
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 04:51:55 PM »
Hey
Fellas how could I go about making my own wads for my C&B revolver thanks ahead
Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "wads", below ball?
Gumpy

Offline Grumpy gumpy

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 05:02:02 PM »
Should add I only make wads for my breach seating BP rifle and for that I use a wad pouch and drink coasters from pubs/ hotels( the local government gave my club a carton full for some reason) ,it’s a 1/16 th ish thick low quality cardboard that firmly seals the end of the case. In revolvers I use a polenta or wheat germ filler between the powder and ball and a lube over the top of the ball
Gumpy

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 09:27:28 PM »
Use a 7/16  hole punch and hard wool felt. If the fit isn't tight enough to suit you you can hone it out a little.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 12:52:09 PM »
I read somewhere about using a big rubber hammer to make wads. I cut a plastic bottle about 2" from the bottom, cut a slot in the bottom that lets the punch handle fit through it. Put the punch handle through the bottle, put that in a vise, put the ward/card material on the punch, strike the top with the hammer. Presto! One wad. The bottle catches the wads.  If the punch handle is round or hex shaped instead of flat, you can put that in a drill press and cut wads that way (with a piece of wood as backing). Both ways work well.

Offline trapper44

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 07:42:38 PM »
I am wanting to make my wads for over the powder without any lube to hinder the powder charge & I also want to make the wads that will seal up the chambers to stop chain fires

Offline Grumpy gumpy

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 12:49:56 AM »
I am wanting to make my wads for over the powder without any lube to hinder the powder charge & I also want to make the wads that will seal up the chambers to stop chain fires
I see now, I don’t put a wad under the ball, just the filler, I over ball lube with coconut oil and beeswax mix , thinned with a little olive oil, I have two versions of the lube a runnier one ( more olive oil ) for winter and a thicker one for summer, this mix is quite firm and seals the cylinder to stop chain fire
Gumpy

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 03:59:11 AM »
You want a little lube on your wads but not so much so as to contaminate powder. If you're going to store it loaded for an indefinite period of time you may want to use dry wads. As for over ball lube all you need is a dab around the edge of the ball. More than that gets blown all over the gun. Filler just takes up space better used by powder. Getting the ball as close to the chamber mouth as possible isn't going to noticeably improve accuracy.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Grumpy gumpy

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 11:46:58 PM »
You want a little lube on your wads but not so much so as to contaminate powder. If you're going to store it loaded for an indefinite period of time you may want to use dry wads. As for over ball lube all you need is a dab around the edge of the ball. More than that gets blown all over the gun. Filler just takes up space better used by powder. Getting the ball as close to the chamber mouth as possible isn't going to noticeably improve accuracy.
You obviously don’t shoot in the "people’s NON democratic republic of Australia", target loads are all you are allowed and if you have a random safe inspection and they find a loaded revolver you will loose all your firearms. Here you have no rights, hence using a filler, why waste powder when you can only legally use it at the range.
Gumpy

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 12:53:43 AM »
You obviously don’t shoot in the "people’s NON democratic republic of Australia", target loads are all you are allowed and if you have a random safe inspection and they find a loaded revolver you will loose all your firearms. Here you have no rights, hence using a filler, why waste powder when you can only legally use it at the range.
Gumpy

You're right, I don't. I suppose shooting at a range is paper targets only? That would bore me to tears.