1858banner

Author Topic: 1860  (Read 2293 times)

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« on: March 03, 2020, 02:41:32 PM »
Cust came running with this one.
A "parts gun" if there ever was one. So in short i´ve had to toss the entire book at it,but doing so it´s finally coming along. DAAUUYM them Colts are labor intense when out of whack.

Original cylinder was a gonner as it had rusted out between two adjacent chambers,at the bottom just after the nipple.

As is i´m going to have to turn a bronze bushing for the "new" cylinder as radial play of it is off beyond boundries. But hey.. I at least hope to end up with a nice shooter to hand back to the owner.
DVC - 2020

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: 1860
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 05:36:38 PM »
Bout time you dipped into different waters. :-*
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 05:51:27 PM »
Yeah,thx Hawg.
Have done a few Colts by now though. They ARE more labor intense than a Remmy,Starr,Whitney or whatever but then again..
The whole deal with the arbor,pin and wedge..is where it´s all at.

Be adviced though that it is the original guns ONLY to me why i sometimes have to take "other" considerations to heart than would normally be the case.
Wear for instance looks a tad different on a 150yr old gun then a 30yr old Uberti..

Which brings us to todays crop. That fresh cylinder carried dimensions that the arbor pin did not and seeing this is an original Colt i opted to turn a press fit bushing out of bearing brass.
I guess i could have made it out of steel too for a less "intrusive look" but hey..what the hell..

That said this truly turned the gun around and it by now works as Samuel once intended,mechanically. Turns out i´ve got a full set of nipples around that fit too so next up..
Fab a fresh front sight out of brass and install. Sighting originally done at 75 yards..well,hello.

So. Overly tall and then just bring a coarse file with me for the range.

I´ve been asked what kind of "devilish" lathe i´m using and the reply is..not at all. Lathe in case is a mid  to late 70´s/-80 Colchester Triumph 2000 made in Britain.
Carries all the options n trimmings..every damn one of them to the letter,and as it´s a piece of kit i´ve had around for a while i know how it behaves by now,which i guess IS the "marvel" in it all.
It drifts a mere 1/100 of a millimeter over approx 750mm of length. Guess i could trim that hundred out of it too,but as i know it´s there and it´s very rare that i turn anything that long..well...
In other words,nothing special about it.  }), :9)

DVC - 2020

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 11:47:21 AM »
Colchesters are great. You won't find anything better at a decent price. I've got a Blomqvist from 1949 and I just love it. Like the Arbogas, they never wear out. Also got a crappy Chinese modern (just wanted the longer bed for a low price), it's not a piece of engineering quality that will last.

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 04:47:00 PM »
@ Len.
Yes. I looked around for a while before i came into the one i´ve got. The 10"´s are so overly large..so this 8",looked around like for 2 years before finding this one and i dropped the hammer the instant i saw it.
..and as stated,it´s got every option on the list.

Kept an old UF mill ´til about shy of a year ago. Bed of it developed a crack..and i said enough is enough already. Since i´ve been looking around for a new one,and just came to buy one week passed.
Decided between a French made Huron and this Brit made Beaver (Balding) and when all the smoke had cleared...the Beaver it is.
Again...loads of options,down to dual turrets even. Needs a major service/overhaul though,which i don´t mind at all. New bearings for each of the housings..oils,drive belts aso aso..that and a thorough clean. All good i guess. ISO 40.

Well.
That said i got to load the Colt up for the first time today and..as i wasn´t at the range i just checked that all six were go,and indeed the thing fires and locks as intended.
So. Next up that fresh front sight to make the thing print approx to point of aim.
So next up,range time.
DVC - 2020

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 09:14:22 PM »
..time to go shoot this thing.
DVC - 2020

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 11:33:36 AM »
..time to go shoot this thing.
About time. Looking forward to your range report.

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 04:21:51 PM »
Uhu.
Couldn´t agree more. Not only this Colt but that single shot Belgian officers pistol and the "Wredes" rifle too.

Today tho i got a mill delivered!  {:(

1250kg worth of Balding engineering/Beaver mill.  ])M
Yup. There´s stuff to attend to but..on a general whole..HELLO!  :9)
Happy as pie as this puts me in the "no brakes" mode again. Been a while so...feels really really good. Have to say.
DVC - 2020

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 07:56:38 PM »
Cool! 8) Now you can get really creative.
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline Miguel Loco

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 10:32:28 PM »
Sweet!!!! I'm jealous!
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline Grumpy gumpy

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 03:18:40 AM »
Nice , does it have a back gear?
gumpy

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2020, 08:41:44 PM »
Thx guys!

Yes. It indeed sports "reverse"  {_K

Head tilts 45deg each direction linear and 90 deg each side to side. Pinol runs on an adjustable gear box and what not.
Nah. All done this´ll fit the bill alright.
DVC - 2020

Offline Grumpy gumpy

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2020, 06:21:27 AM »
Thx guys!

Yes. It indeed sports "reverse"  {_K

Head tilts 45deg each direction linear and 90 deg each side to side. Pinol runs on an adjustable gear box and what not.
Nah. All done this´ll fit the bill alright.
Ah, over here a back gear is a second ratio gear that slows down the speeds on a belt driven machine, kind of like a low range gear in a 4wd vehicle
nice machine regardless :)
gumpy

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2020, 02:50:15 PM »
Ah.
Well,there´s high n low alright. What´s more this machine uses a belt alright but...as a part of a CVT. Constant velocity transmission.
So there´s a dial at the top of the head where you simple set spindle speed. Sry to say the rev counter is out though why i need to pick one up.
As it turns out they´re dirt cheap in Asia so no harm no foul.
DVC - 2020

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2020, 02:57:12 PM »
A little paint..new wiring.
Makes for all the difference...

Ordered a PID controller for the one motor and a fresh belt for the automated spindle. In turn a digital from Asia,they´re cheap enough these days.

Going to install an outlet to the main pillar,a 4 socket such,to run the digital..lights and what not.
DVC - 2020