1858banner

Author Topic: A small pocket..  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
A small pocket..
« on: February 13, 2020, 07:37:43 PM »
So.
One of the guys over at a local forum to us vikings seeks me out..he´s bought himself an old Whitney pocket in 31cal.
As it turns out tho,all is not well as some moron Mr Handyman obviously got himself a Dremel tool for x-mas.
Worst part is that the revolver got sold "as is" and there´s no turning back,hence why i got called upon.

Well. As these too are out of cast steel all isn´t lost. Balance act though as the barrel entry was hogged out rather poorly in some sort of try to fab a forcing cone i guess.
Turned out more convex than anything though,and to add insult to injury the same area of the barrel got cut out the outside too,leaving us with an entry per the picture.

Not the most glorious of ideas maybe... ->i

So. Spent a little while thinking this one out as it had to have material added to both in and outside of the barrel..then hit it with the TIG welder in a fashion where i juuuuuust got the original material to collapse..then added weldrod as i went along. Balance act indeed,but it turned out real well.

Yeah. Muzzle was just as "bent" so handed the piece a fresh crown while at it. Where we´re at though both ends of the barrel needs a polish to be done.

But..another saved i´d say!  (T^
DVC - 2020

Offline Grumpy gumpy

Re: A small pocket..
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 09:03:04 PM »
What rod do you use to tig that?
I have that lefaucheux revolver with the holes in the barrel
Gumpy

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 01:14:10 AM »
Damn dude is there anything you can't do? (^h
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 08:29:47 AM »
@ GG.
There. First pic,nothing special at all.

@ Hawg
Thx man!  :-*

Got the revolver back together. Main spring is a replacement for a "whatever" and it bottomed out vs the frame as you just got up on full cock.
Solved that by ramming a 3mm pin into the recess of the frame,thus elevating the spring somewhat...which made it clear the frame.
All good IOW..i´ll now check the trigger of it,it´s stiffer than needed IMO and thus will affect accuracy.

On a whole though we´re good as far as i can see.
DVC - 2020

Offline Grumpy gumpy

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 02:18:33 PM »
Thanks for the pic, it’s ER70S6 rod which is 6% silicon mild steel .  I have that and ER70S2
Now th attempt to plug the holes.....some time....
Gumpy