1858banner

Author Topic: Round butt grip modification for Pietta New Army Sherrif  (Read 613 times)

Offline Rebel Craig

Round butt grip modification for Pietta New Army Sherrif
« on: December 07, 2019, 10:20:15 PM »
I have seen some Pics of the so called Bulldog configuration Of the Remington New Army and it looks ok to me but I am thinking about round butting the grip frame of my Pietta New Army Sheriff with the 5 1/2 inch barrel but leaving the Barrel at 5 1/2 inches.

Anyone got a pic of one done like this ?with round butted grip frame and 5 1/2 barrel ?

Also In the pics and videos I have seen of others Bulldog Remington New Army I am curious as it seems like they take off and round the back of the grip frame that it removes the (serial number ?)on the bottom of the frame(and another number on the inside when the grips are removed that matches Numbers that are written on the inside of one of the grips.

Are there any issues when removing any or all of the number on the bottom of the grip frame ?

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Round butt grip modification for Pietta New Army Sherrif
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 01:23:50 AM »
Are there any issues when removing any or all of the number on the bottom of the grip frame ?

They're not classified as firearms so there's no issues t all.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Rebel Craig

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 04:00:02 AM »
Thank you much

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 12:39:09 PM »
There are a lot
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 01:19:18 PM »
It may not be legal but I'd be tempted to move the number to another part of the frame.
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 03:04:47 PM »
The original, first series of the Manhattan Navy 1857, had the so called Miss America rounded grip.
Very nice grip.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 01:02:53 PM »
The round-butt Snubbie I made has the serial number intact.

Offline Rebel Craig

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 08:37:30 PM »
The round-butt Snubbie I made has the serial number intact.

On the inside in the same place as you show I also have a 4 digit code,in addition it is marked in what appears to be Majik Marker on the inside of one of the grip panels.

On my frame it has a a Letter followed by a six digit code that is visible to the eye without talink the grips off that is Stamped on the bottom of the grip frame.
The last number is about only a quarter of an inch or a little less from the backstrap.

I am inclined to think that the number stamped on the bottom of the grip frame is the serial number and there is no way that the grip frame could be roundbutted and retain all of the number that is stamped on the bottom of the frame.

My revolver was made in 2019 as indicated by dropping the loading lever and seeing number stamped on the bottom of the barrel.
I do not know when yours was made and perhaps yours is older ?Possibly Pietta has changed the way from not putting a serial number on the frame to putting one on the frame?

Now it may be a moot point if it is not considered a firearm?