1858banner

Author Topic: where can I buy lead hollowpoint lead bullets ?  (Read 447 times)

Offline Miguel Loco

Re: where can I buy lead hollowpoint lead bullets ?
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2020, 10:27:11 AM »
Oh, and thanks, YB Brad, for reminding me that I have a project to get along with!

Good to see you posting again Omni........
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline Rebel Craig

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2020, 03:57:53 PM »
I have been looking around a lot and came upon this.
Looks like a good design.http://www.banditbullets.com/

Offline AntiqueSledMan

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2020, 04:30:36 AM »
Hello Craig,

Now that's just what the doctor ordered. How long before they're available.
My brother was shooting the .58 Caliber Ball-et from Buffalo Bullet Company in his Zouave.
He was very happy with the results, but they became obsolete.
I did find a web page which stated that they were starting up again & to keep watching for updates.
Only been a couple years now, but we're still waiting (I don't like waiting).

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Rebel Craig

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2020, 08:36:33 PM »
Hello Craig,

Now that's just what the doctor ordered. How long before they're available.
My brother was shooting the .58 Caliber Ball-et from Buffalo Bullet Company in his Zouave.
He was very happy with the results, but they became obsolete.
I did find a web page which stated that they were starting up again & to keep watching for updates.
Only been a couple years now, but we're still waiting (I don't like waiting).

AntiqueSledMan.
Yes, I used the 385 Hollowpoint Hollow base 50 cal out of my Thompson Center Hawkins(a thousand years ago) on Many Deer and they worked great .
Used the 350 grain out of single shot 50 Cal Pistols ,worked great on deer as well.
Never tried the Percussion Revolver bullets as I Just started shooting a Cap and Ball Revolver.

I lost the urge to hunt a couple of years ago so I Probably would be just as well served by just sticking with round ball use for targets and to keep loaded around the house,but I sure do like the idea of a lightweight Hollow point driven at about the same speeds as the ball.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2020, 04:22:37 PM »
Those bandit bullets look uncannily similar to my swaged bullets.

Anyway, Craig; PM me with your particulars and I'll send you a few samples to play with.  They'll seat in a Pietta 44 Remington without modification but that seating stem (or "plunger", or "rammer"), with its concave ball end, will deform the hollowpoint noses somewhat.  If you can find a way to seat the bullets using a flat-face plunger that would be much better.  Maybe using a cylinder loading stand, or a small slug of brass that's been faced off at each end, between the gun's rammer and the bullet?  I made a flat faced rammer for one Remington, but I have the form-fit rammers for other percussion guns so I can do all my loading on the gun, as the guns were designed to do, in the field.

We all use pure lead in these percussion guns, or rather, most of us do, and my swaged HPs are no exception. They're swaged from pure lead, which is the only way they'll swage nicely on a loading press anyway.  Some cast their round ball from wheel weight lead because it's been cheaper, but otherwise there's no reason to use alloys of any kind.  If your percussion revolver leads the bore, it's because of fouling build-up in the bore, not because of excessive pressure per se (well OK, it's because of excessive pressure DUE TO fouling build-up in the bore), and in that case you need better fouling mitigation, not harder lead.  I've demonstrated that with proper fouling mitigation (lots of lube) you can shoot in excess of 100 rounds of 200 grain bullets (or any other bullets, or round ball) in a 44 Army percussion revolver with no swabbing in between, and not see a trace of barrel leading afterward, and the bore cleans up with a few swipes afterward, too, with no scrubbing.

Only 60, huh?  Well it's good to see some other youngsters joining the forum.  (I'm only 61).

Regarding your fitting of the 44 Mag chambers to your bore; for some reason most of these percussion guns from Italy have under-sized chambers.  Exceptions are uncommon, but the Uberti 1862 Colt Police model (36 cal) is one of them.  Some people ream their chambers to at least one (thousandth of an inch) over groove diameter, which is the widely accepted standard minimum bullet diameter for any lead bullet.  Three over is not unheard of.  The typical Pietta 44 on the other hand will have a .450" groove diameter and a .445" to .449" chamber diameter.  No one understands why they do this, maybe not even them.

Maybe it's because they need to hit a price point with their cheaper guns, so they can fit their chambers to their barrels properly for their thousand dollar versions of the same gun and have that more expensive one shoot better in the matches, thus justifying the higher price for what is largely the same gun.  I've known this sort of behavior in the musical instrument business, which is why I mention it.  In the motor sport industry they call it de-tuning, for if the cheaper version performed as well as the more expensive version which they make on the same tooling, people would soon figure it out and buy only the cheaper version.

Anyway, you could always get hold of another press at some point, if you wanted to swage bullets.  Any old full-frame single stage press would work, I do it on a Rockchucker too, but I really like the T7 turret.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Rebel Craig

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2020, 08:02:32 PM »
Omnivore I sent you a Pm,Thanks

I don't have a loading stand but I do have hardwood dowel which I could shape to the hollow point using a Dremel and a small pocket knife
 and either load on or off the revolver,or I think maybe use epoxy or JB Weld to fill the concave end using oil or wax to keep the material from sticking to the Rammer until it dries ,then when desired to use for loading conicals a small piece of wax pressed into the concave and then the Piece of JB could be pressed into the wax.Maybe !

Possibly a hole could be drilled and tapped into the concave, a screw or threaded piece of brass could be shaped as desired, then screwed in or out as desired.Much like different tips can be screwed into a cleaning rod.