1858banner

Author Topic: where can I buy lead hollowpoint lead bullets ?  (Read 448 times)

Offline Rebel Craig

Re: where can I buy lead hollowpoint lead bullets ?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2020, 10:11:47 PM »
https://1858remington.com/index.php?topic=11582.msg201971#msg201971

Go down to the bottom of this thread to see some hollow points Omnivore swaged from round balls.

Very Interesting
Did he ever get around to making the dies ?

Thanks

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• Forum Legend
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2020, 01:20:24 PM »
  I don't know. You might want to PM him, he hasn't been posting here lately.
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline Grumpy gumpy

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2020, 02:51:04 PM »
I would be interested to see how he made the dies, I’ve got all these ideas in my head( not the ones telling me to burn things, the other ones) on how they could be made, but there is probably a simpler way.
Gumpy

Offline AntiqueSledMan

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2020, 03:55:34 AM »
Hello Guys,

Years ago I did make a die for Hollow Base Conicals.
All one would need to do is change the nose punch,
and if the hollow base wasn't wanted change the base punch.
I see the link to my PDF is dead so here it is again.
These were made from round balls, but one could use what ever weight required.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Grumpy gumpy

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2020, 04:18:29 AM »
Hello Guys,

AntiqueSledMan.
That is fairly close to what I had thought(actually better than my idea) I was trying to think of an easy way to put a taper on the base
gumpy

Offline AntiqueSledMan

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2020, 03:42:21 AM »
Hey Grumpy gumpy,

Omni had a post about his bullet heeler, read that one over.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Grumpy gumpy

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2020, 01:23:38 PM »
Hey Grumpy gumpy,

Omni had a post about his bullet heeler, read that one over.

AntiqueSledMan.
I read that, I was looking at the heal taper idea, in the main, your post helped more, so many ideas , so little time, this damm thing called work keeps getting in my way
Gumpy

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• Forum Legend
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2020, 11:55:28 AM »
Hello Guys,

AntiqueSledMan.
Thanks for posting that well documented information SledMan.

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• Forum Legend
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2020, 12:04:04 PM »
I would be interested to see how he made the dies, I’ve got all these ideas in my head( not the ones telling me to burn things, the other ones) on how they could be made, but there is probably a simpler way.
Gumpy
  I should have seen this sooner, it was one post down in the "Projectiles" category of the forum.

https://1858remington.com/index.php?topic=11534.0

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2020, 01:26:28 PM »
If you've cast bullets before, then you probably have a lube-sizing press.  You can buy any 45 caliber lead bullet and size it down to fit your percussion chambers.  Right at, or no more than one thousandth over chamber diameter is what you want.  Cowboy action bullets should be plenty soft, if not dead soft lead, being made for low pressure loads in 45 Colt.

You can then "heel" your sized bullets in your sizing press using the tapered, lead-in portion at the top of an undersized sizing die.  I've detailed this process on the forum already.

Otherwise you're probably better off getting back into casting.  That gives you total control of the bullet style, shape, features and sizing.  Accurate molds will make anything you like, and then you ship the mold off to Eric at hollowpointmold.com for his "inset bar" hollowpointmold conversion.

You've seen approximately the size of the hollow points I've used, and their performance on water jugs, so you can profile your HP design accordingly.

You will also find where I've modified the guns' loading rams to exactly and perfectly fit the HP bullet nose, both inside and out.  They can thus be loaded on the gun, as is proper in the field, and leave the HP bullet nose in perfect condition.

I had forgotten about the stwging dies, having had a burst appendix, two broken ribs and a punctured lung within the last year and a half or so, and being very occupied with my existing business, and church.  I do still want to put the staging dies into production at some stage.  Swaging is the way to get both an HP and a HB (although you give up lube grooves).

I have several molds for casting lead HP for percussion revolvers, having a proper heel or tapered base, but one of them is a plain old 45 HP pistol bullet mold, and so I "heel" that bullet in the lube-sizer after casting a batch of them.

I see that right now, Eric has some HP molds in 45 for sale at hollowpointmold.com.  After that, you'd still need to size them to your chambers, and you need the undersized die for the heeling process, and another loading ram for your pistol which you can custom form fit to the bullet nose as I've detailed elsewhere.  If the HP turns out not to expand as you'd like, Eric can always make you a new set of core pins for the mold.

So you see it's all totally doable, and so all you need is the decision to proceed with it.

If you wish to have a few samples, PM me and we can make a deal for you to get a few different HP bullets to try out.  Carefully and repeatedly measure your chambers first, down to the thousandth of an inch, using a snap gauge, so I can size your bullets accordingly.  One of my cast HPs (~218 grains), and my swaged bullet nose design (from any appropriate round ball weight), both have nose shapes that will hold up to the loading pressure from a flat-faced ram if you sized the bullets to your chambers and load them carefully, but I recommend the form-fitting of the ram to the bullet.

Some of you who now want to use hollowpoints in a percussion revolver can be out shooting with them in fairly short order, if you have the motivation.  Others will wait until they can buy the bullets, custom sized of course, and the form-fit ram made specific to the bullet nose, off the shelf at their local gun store, for pennies per bullet (which will never happen).
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2020, 01:28:00 PM »
Oh, and thanks, YB Brad, for reminding me that I have a project to get along with!
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2020, 02:06:26 PM »
Once hollow-pointed, properly sized and heeled, I bet this would make a good HP bullet for a 44 percussion revolver;

http://www.hollowpointmold.com/forsale/sale-pictures/?item=166

It's just a call to Eric away from being yours.

He has some others, two-cavity, already hollow-pointed and ready to go.  I do prefer a two cavity or three cavity mold.  More than that, and they become hard to keep going, being that, to get really, truly good bullets, you have to maintain the cavities as you go.

Also, we didn't discuss the probability that you'd need to modify your gun's frame so it will accept a conical bullet.  Uberti Remingtons are good to go, but a Pietta might need a bit of grinding and finishing to make it right for loading much beyond a round ball.  My Uberti Walker, and Third Model Dragoon required extensive re-working of the loading cutout in the barrel.

So; all of this "spearminting" with various bullets can at times require some commitment...

Tell you what; for a thousand bucks, send me your percussion gun (no conversion frames) and I'll get you all set up nice and proper for swaging and loading HPs which fit your chambers, and with a loading ram that fits the bullet.  I'll even re-profile the frame if necessary, and finish it off with a black oxide treatment, and test the system in the field in live fire to verify compatibility and bullet expansion.  And your gun sights will be regulated for that load, whether or not they're adjustable from the factory.

But wait; for swaging you still need a stout loading press, which you'll have to procure on your own.  I use the T7 turret press, which is built like a tank, and I recommend it highly.  Just keep the turret lubricated, and it will outlast your grandchildren.  And you'll need a good, SOLID loading bench.  I lug-bolted my bench, which is built of fir 2 x 4s and 4 x 4s, and 3/4" heavy plywood, through the wall board and into the studs of the house framing, so a stud-finder is also in order.  None of this free-standing bench BS, which I see on YouTube all over the place.  You need a bench that isn't going to wobble and sway and twist every time you pull the lever on your press, as you'll be pulling that lever hard.

Offline Rebel Craig

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2020, 10:36:23 PM »
If you've cast bullets before, then you probably have a lube-sizing press.  You can buy any 45 caliber lead bullet and size it down to fit your percussion chambers.  Right at, or no more than one thousandth over chamber diameter is what you want.  Cowboy action bullets should be plenty soft, if not dead soft lead, being made for low pressure loads in 45 Colt.

You can then "heel" your sized bullets in your sizing press using the tapered, lead-in portion at the top of an undersized sizing die.  I've detailed this process on the forum already.

Otherwise you're probably better off getting back into casting.  That gives you total control of the bullet style, shape, features and sizing.  Accurate molds will make anything you like, and then you ship the mold off to Eric at hollowpointmold.com for his "inset bar" hollowpointmold conversion.

You've seen approximately the size of the hollow points I've used, and their performance on water jugs, so you can profile your HP design accordingly.

You will also find where I've modified the guns' loading rams to exactly and perfectly fit the HP bullet nose, both inside and out.  They can thus be loaded on the gun, as is proper in the field, and leave the HP bullet nose in perfect condition.

I had forgotten about the stwging dies, having had a burst appendix, two broken ribs and a punctured lung within the last year and a half or so, and being very occupied with my existing business, and church.  I do still want to put the staging dies into production at some stage.  Swaging is the way to get both an HP and a HB (although you give up lube grooves).

I have several molds for casting lead HP for percussion revolvers, having a proper heel or tapered base, but one of them is a plain old 45 HP pistol bullet mold, and so I "heel" that bullet in the lube-sizer after casting a batch of them.

I see that right now, Eric has some HP molds in 45 for sale at hollowpointmold.com.  After that, you'd still need to size them to your chambers, and you need the undersized die for the heeling process, and another loading ram for your pistol which you can custom form fit to the bullet nose as I've detailed elsewhere.  If the HP turns out not to expand as you'd like, Eric can always make you a new set of core pins for the mold.

So you see it's all totally doable, and so all you need is the decision to proceed with it.

If you wish to have a few samples, PM me and we can make a deal for you to get a few different HP bullets to try out.  Carefully and repeatedly measure your chambers first, down to the thousandth of an inch, using a snap gauge, so I can size your bullets accordingly.  One of my cast HPs (~218 grains), and my swaged bullet nose design (from any appropriate round ball weight), both have nose shapes that will hold up to the loading pressure from a flat-faced ram if you sized the bullets to your chambers and load them carefully, but I recommend the form-fitting of the ram to the bullet.

Some of you who now want to use hollowpoints in a percussion revolver can be out shooting with them in fairly short order, if you have the motivation.  Others will wait until they can buy the bullets, custom sized of course, and the form-fit ram made specific to the bullet nose, off the shelf at their local gun store, for pennies per bullet (which will never happen).
Hi
First I wanna say I don't know what happened to you but I hpe you get to feeling better.

I have never uses a Lube sizer as I Had Veral Smith of LBT make me a Plain Based Bullet mold For my Ruger Blackhawk 44 Magnum 4 3/4 inch barrel ,that was made with a few Lead bore slugs I sent him after I had firelapped the bore ,then I Hand lubed the bullets using LBT blue Lube .

I water dropped the slugs using a cheap plastic waste basket and a towel folded up at the bottom of the water filled basket. This was after enlarging the Cylinder holes using a piece of cold rolled steel ,with a slit cut in the center ,then put fine emery paper in the slit,chucked it in a drill run on low speed and took my time until the slugs would push through the cylinder holes with a light touch from my finger.

Although I used a RCBS for my reloading when I was in my teens(60 Now)which I sold when I got bored with reloading.
I then got interested again and just got a Lee Hand Press .

Then I Modified a seating stem to fit the Wide flat nosed bullet I was casting from wheel weights.
Quite a bit of leverage but do not know if it would be enough to swage round balls  ?as I have never swaged round balls other than loading them into black powder firearms.

I also had him make me a 320 grain Long flat nosed Paper patched mold for a TC contender 44 mag.
Used Pure lead and then Patched the bullets using computer labels.

My goal was to have pure lead for expansion,Paper patching for no leading and Bullet weight for penetration on deer.
Wildly successful on deer with the bullet expanding slightly larger than a quarter yet penetrating half the Length of 200 pound plus whitetail deer,with excellent accuracy and no leading.This with a Hefty load of Winchester 296.

I have killed a lot of deer in my life using Centerfire rifles ,Centerfire pistols,Crossbow,recurve,Homemade Hickory flatbows and arrows ,and Blackpowder rifles and singleshot pistols.
I have no desire to to kill anymore deer or anything else for that matter.Much rather just watch animals anymore.

Just something to play with !

Anyway Thanks for the Information and the link,I will check it out.

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• Forum Legend
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2020, 01:10:53 AM »
Oh, and thanks, YB Brad, for reminding me that I have a project to get along with!
Omni,
        Thanks for taking the time to give detailed replys despite having a very full plate. Hope you're  now 100% after your medical issues.

Brad