1858banner

Author Topic: CVA field flask for Pietta 1858 Remington New Army  (Read 230 times)

Offline Rebel Craig

CVA field flask for Pietta 1858 Remington New Army
« on: January 25, 2020, 04:33:59 PM »
I made a small order from MidwayUsa and bought a CVA field flask that supposedly holds 2.5 ounces of powder and supposedly has a 20 grain spout.
I have read it several different places that in actuality it only throws about 16-18  grains by volume.

I liked the smaller size to fit in a Small Blackhawk belt pouch holster I have owned for years for use as a field pack.
Also will Have room for the 2 spare cylinders that are loaded in Triple K belt pouches ,24 extra balls in a small Pill container,lube in a Diabetic strip container,caps,nipple wrench,a couple of bore mops and a Flexible Glock cleaning rod,small piece of wood to push out a stuck ball if needed,small screwdriver,oiled patches in small pill bottle,small nipple pick.

I am going to shoot 30-35 grains of Pyrodex P by volume
I have thought about just using the so called 20 grain spout and charging the cylinder holes twice(I would check to see what it throws first with a set of Lee powder scoops which measure by volume) or by using a brass case to increase the capacity of the spout.

Would like some input on Charging the cylinder holes twice versus using a brass case to increase the capacity of the spout and charging once.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: CVA field flask for Pietta 1858 Remington New Army
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 05:03:53 PM »
You can get different spouts or just get an adjustable powder measure.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 05:59:32 PM »
I have a CVA like you described (A1380) and it holds 1350 grains, sez so right on the package. Three o’zees.  Good for easy carry and scuffs and scratches don’t matter.  Not a favorite with me but it is useful when out and about.  Mine throws between 18 and 21 grains depending upon the time of day and how I hold my elbow.  I’ve read reviews where guys say the spout eventually snaps right off, busted.  I’m careful with mine, at least with the spout.

I’ll use a flask on a cold gun but for a session of repeated shooting a powder measure is good to have, maybe essential.  Fill the measure with the flask and the chambers with measure.  That way, if something heads south you’ll get blew up a lot less.  Yea, get a powder measure.

It’s not clear what you mean by using brass to increase the throw.  Would that be the "measure"?

Hawg, spouts don't come off with that mod.  We're stuck with it.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Rebel Craig

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 07:03:00 PM »
I have a CVA like you described (A1380) and it holds 1350 grains, sez so right on the package. Three o’zees.  Good for easy carry and scuffs and scratches don’t matter.  Not a favorite with me but it is useful when out and about.  Mine throws between 18 and 21 grains depending upon the time of day and how I hold my elbow.  I’ve read reviews where guys say the spout eventually snaps right off, busted.  I’m careful with mine, at least with the spout.

I’ll use a flask on a cold gun but for a session of repeated shooting a powder measure is good to have, maybe essential.  Fill the measure with the flask and the chambers with measure.  That way, if something heads south you’ll get blew up a lot less.  Yea, get a powder measure.

It’s not clear what you mean by using brass to increase the throw.  Would that be the "measure"?

Hawg, spouts don't come off with that mod.  We're stuck with it.

If it says A1380 then it is a Traditions Composite .https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/product/composite-flask-with-valve-a1380

The CVA field flask is Brass https://cva.com/product/cva-field-flask-2-5-oz/

I was talking about using the Lee Powder scoops to measure how many grains the spout throws from the factory.Throws is very common terminology for how much powder a Powder measure of flask put out ,for example a powder measure used for reloading is said to throw say 50 grains as opposed to saying it releases 50 grains.

The reason I would use the lee powder Scoops/measures is to see how much the factory spout throws.
For example if I were wanting to use 2 charges from the flask and the flask/spout throws 20 grains by volume then I would need to shorten the spout as I do not want to use 40 grains ,I want between 30-35 grains by volume of pyrodex P.
Conversely if the Flask/spout throws between 15 and 17.5 grains by volume then it would meet my criteria of 30-35 grains .

Using a Brass case to increase the throw of the spout means slipping a brass cartridge case over the existing spout to increase the capacity of the spout ,therefore increasing the powder charge thrown,

I also will be using spare cylinders to reload from and then reloading the spare cylinders.
I do not want nor need a separate powder measure (aside from the lee scoops/measures to initially check to see how much the CVA flask/spout throws).
This bag will be for if I am going out of town and shooting on a farm.Once I get there I may not shoot at all or I might shoot a little or a lot.
Maybe one of my friends will want to shoot my revolver? Who knows

I do not see an issue with reloading cylinders from a spout ,a cold gun as you say.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 07:15:58 PM by Rebel Craig »

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Rebel Craig

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 07:34:05 PM »

Offline Grumpy gumpy

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 12:06:31 AM »
I use a pedersoli one that has changeable spouts, I change the spout depending on which gun I’m loading for,  it came with my ruger old army which was second hand, so I’m not sure who supplies them or who is the pedersoli distributor in the US
Gumpy