1858banner

Author Topic: Repairing loose cylinder arbors in the Colts  (Read 1057 times)

Offline billy mcfly

Repairing loose cylinder arbors in the Colts
« on: January 17, 2020, 10:47:59 AM »
Okay, it's happened again. I already have an 1851 Navy with an arbor which is loose, and now my ASM 1860 Army is loose.  =K* I had considered various ways of fixing them, and the options seem to be:

1. Disassemble and deform the threads sufficiently to provide a friction-lock arrangement. This method would reduce the contact area between male and female threads to some extent, so I'd expect to have to do this again at some point.

2. Disassemble and copper or chrome or nickel plate the threads until it's a very tight fit to screw it back into the frame.

3. Disassemble, clean the parts and silver-braze them together. One doesn't commonly need to dismount the arbor and brazing would fill the thread joint against infiltration from fouling and the attendant possibility of corrosion. I was thinking Hi-force 44 which melts in the neighborhood of 400F degrees. There are other types which are very strong and will wick into the thread easily, but the operating temps are a good bit higher. Sounds like refinishing will be necessary.

4. Retire them. . . . . . . . Naaaaaah! Couldn't stand the thought of a useless "looker" gathering dust somewhere.

Has anyone else tackled this with good success? BTW, how does one get the anti-rotation thread locking pin out of there? I'm open to any good tricks of the trade others have worked out. Let the wisdom roll!

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• Forum Legend
Re: Repairing loose cylinder arbors in the Colts
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 12:22:34 PM »
How about just using an appropriate grade of Loctite, perhaps along with some thread deformation for initial clocking of the arbor.  You'll have to drill that pin out.
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 01:22:27 PM »
I'd remove the arbor, place appropriate size shim on shaft, apply red Locktite then tighten the arbor in the frame.  I had a couple 1851s done using the shim and torque method [without the locktite] a few years ago, and, while I haven't shot them near as much as I used to, they're still tight
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 03:04:37 PM »
If the arbor is loose, replace it.
The pin's got to be bored out or bored into to get a drag screw in.
If we're talking Colt here, the arbor is the main component and cannot be hampered with.
Unless you've got a fully equipped gunsmith work shop, do not resort to epoxies, Loctites or such.
"Safety first" is kind of a hall mark on this forum. Keep your guns fit, keep your powder dry.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 03:06:57 PM »
Plus one on having to drill the pin out. You can then tap the hole for a set screw. I fixed a loose arbor on one of my guns a while ago like that. I upset the threads toward the front of the arbor, it is still tight.

Offline 45 Dragoon

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 07:07:28 PM »
     I remove the arbor, upset the shoulder of the arbor (leaving the threads as they are). The upset shoulder requires the arbor be torqued back in position. Oversized locking pin installed. (This is per "gunsmith" training, no threadlocker needed)
  Even brand new revolvers show up with loose arbors and are corrected with the above method, never have had a problem.

Mike

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 07:57:18 PM »
Now that is the authoritive answer! I also wondered about using tin foil or aluminum foil to shim the threads.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 09:54:04 AM by mazo kid »

Offline 45 Dragoon

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 08:05:45 PM »
 )L$
  Thanks Mazo!!

Mike

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 08:34:20 PM »
Just weld that puppy in. )L$ )L$ )L$
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 09:53:13 AM »
Now that is the authoritive answer! I also wondered about using tin foil or aluminum foil to shim the threads.

Offline 45 Dragoon

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 11:17:51 AM »
     remove the arbor, upset the shoulder of the arbor (leaving the threads as they are). The upset shoulder requires the arbor be torqued back in position. Oversized locking pin installed.

Mike

Offline Hellgate

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 03:31:57 PM »
Pardon my ignorance but what part of the arbor is the shoulder? I am unfamiliar with the term. A friend has a couple brass framed guns that are wobbly and I might be able to blacksmith his paperweights.
I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap & ball for having over 15 of them. That's a compliment.
SASS #3302 Life, Regulator,  NRA Life
Wolverton Mtn Peacekeepers
Former Orygun Cowboy Ranger
Posse From Hell (Honorary)
RUCAS#58
DGB#29

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 04:32:34 PM »
Pardon my ignorance but what part of the arbor is the shoulder? I am unfamiliar with the term. A friend has a couple brass framed guns that are wobbly and I might be able to blacksmith his paperweights.

The drop off just before the threads start.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline 45 Dragoon

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 06:40:59 AM »
Thanks Hawg!!  That's exactly right. The edge can be upset (hit with a small hammer to move material) in several places to cause interference when tightening the arbor back in. It won't take much so start small.  That way if it seems too light a torque, you can pull the arbor and repeat .  You can use the wedge placed in the arbor ( to keep it from turning) and lightly clamp the arbor  in a vice. Screw the frame on and when your close, use the locating pin hole as a "witness mark". If the wedge slots line up correctly, install the barrel/cyl and drive the wedge in. Now you can install a new pin and your arbor should fit better than new!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2020, 10:02:42 AM »
OP didn't state if this was a steel or brass frame revolver?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"