1858banner

Author Topic: Hot water versus Cold water ?  (Read 327 times)

Offline Rebel Craig

Hot water versus Cold water ?
« on: January 16, 2020, 10:00:21 AM »
I have been reading everything I can find about the cleaning of cap and ball revolvers and a some people use just Hot water,some use Hot water and soap but I read that some claim that cold water is best claiming that hot water causes "Flash Rust"and cold water will not cause this.

Interested in hearing comments and observations concerning the use of hot water or cold water for cleaning of cap and ball revolvers.

Offline Miguel Loco

Re: Hot water versus Cold water ?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 10:34:26 AM »
I've always used hot/warm water, IMO it just helps clean better. I've never had a rust issue, but I use Ballistol immediately after cleaning and wiping/blowing completely dry. Cold water may work as well....but it seems harder to dry afterwards to me, and that is an equally important part of the process. I'm sure others have their own ideas that work as well.

The most important part is that it gets cleaned as soon as possible after use. Try some different approaches and you'll find what works best for you.
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Online mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 10:53:08 AM »
I have used both hot and cold water.  Both work just fine,  I have cleaned my revolver with creek water that is only about 35 degrees F.   I like hot/warm water better though but only because it's more comfortable.   Never have rust problems as long as cleaning is followed up with some type of oil.  Ballistol is my preferred oil treatment.

Offline Hewy

• Black Friday
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 12:18:12 PM »
My method is room temp 50/50 water and Ballistol .Dry with rags and cotton swabs where needed In  small areas. Don't dunk the whole gun , rather use the mixture from a spray bottle, place all parts  in a large tray. After the spray all parts are placed on a paper towel pat dry and reassembled. Ballistol
leaves a nice coating . Nipple threads get a coat of anti seize.
Hewy
Better to be gettin , than gettin got.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 12:45:22 PM »
Either works equally well. If, after cleaning, you wipe with a dry patch followed by an alcohol saturated patch, that will pretty much get all the water off, then wipe with an oil patch.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 04:19:04 PM »
I prefer hot water and soap but try different ways and find a regimen that works for you.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.