1858banner

Author Topic: Replacement Loading Lever screw for a Pietta Remington New Model Army  (Read 143 times)

Offline Prospector

In my experience, one of the most common screws to mess up or get lost on a Replica Remington New Model Army Revolver is the loading lever screw.  I have seen these messed up from the factory, and some have just gotten stripped, bent, or broken during use.

Just last week, I received a new Pietta replica of the Remington New Model Army, and when I disassembled it to remove the packing/shipping oil/grease and for the initial inspection and cleaning,  I found that the loading lever screw was already stripped out at the factory.  After measuring the screw, I found a suitable temporary replacement screw at my local hardware store.   The size of the original screw is 4mm x 10.7mm , with a thread pitch of 0.7mm.  The length of the threads is 5.8mm, with the rest unthreaded.  The diameter of the slotted head is almost exactly 5mm in diameter.  The retailer / distributor is shipping me a replacement from Pietta, but meanwhile I can continue to use the revolver now that I installed the temporary screw.    Before I installed the new screw, I used a 4mm tap with a tread Pitch 0.70mm  to clean up the threads in the revolver frame.

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• Forum Legend
Re: Replacement Loading Lever screw for a Pietta Remington New Model Army
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 11:55:17 AM »
Unfortunately, some of the fine details like on the loading lever screw, are over looked by the factory. I'm fortunate to have a lathe available to me so I can make my own screws with the correct dimensional features and out of a better grade of steel.
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 06:56:15 PM »
I have an old Atlas lathe, but I am not a machinist by any means. Yeah, I can turn round things, but am at a loss as far as turning threads with changing back gears, etc. I have made several SAE thread screws by turning to the diameters needed and then making the threads with a die set. Haven't tried any metric screws yet; they are pretty tiny!

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 12:54:12 PM »
Hi Mazo,
    "Chasing" or "single pointing" a thread on a lathe isn't that hard and there are some good YouTube videos showing how it's done. One trick I use is to turn the threading tool upside down and feed away from the spindle. This makes it easier to thread up to a shoulder. Back gears for your lathe to cut metric threads are probably going to be very expensive so the technique you mentioned of using a die is probably the most practical.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 02:00:35 PM »
I've got a couple of lathes, but my favourite is a 1949 belt fed beauty with a stack of back gears and a chart for mounting them gears for any metric or inch thread. Yolla's method of mounting the cutting bit upside down is one good way to get a thread all the way up to the cap. But my old beauty has this big belt wheel, like your car's steering wheel, and I can cut a thread to any end position by just turning that wheel manually. Not a very 21st century approach for sure, but for us 19th century guys, a most proper way of attack.

Offline Prospector

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 10:27:23 PM »
Unfortunately, some of the fine details like on the loading lever screw, are over looked by the factory. I'm fortunate to have a lathe available to me so I can make my own screws with the correct dimensional features and out of a better grade of steel.

That is a great idea brad about turning your own screws using a better grade of steel.   What grade do you use?  My brother has a couple of lathes, so maybe this would be a good time for me to learn how to use it.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 04:51:25 AM »
Hi, IMO why mess with making your own screws when most can be purchased from VTI for $4.50:

https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=67&cat=Pietta+1858+Remington%2C+Tiro

If one is serious about shooting BP revolvers, getting a complete screw set is not a big investment from Dixie:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/7850

While you are at it, a replacement part kit is also cheap from Cabelas:

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Pietta-Replacement-Black-Powder-Revolver-Parts-Kit/740233.uts?slotId=3

Some suggest hardened replacement screws. However, I have one question you need to ask, "would I rather have the revolver frame threads strip, or the screw?".  {L* {L* {L*

Regards,
Richard

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 12:02:07 PM »

That is a great idea brad about turning your own screws using a better grade of steel.   What grade do you use?  My brother has a couple of lathes, so maybe this would be a good time for me to learn how to use it.

So far I've only made screws for my stainless 1858, and I use 17-4 PH. I use an oven a t work to heat treat them, this material only requires 900F for one hour to achieve 42 HRC. If I was going to make screws for a blue gun I'd probably go with a pre-hardened steel like 1144 Fatigue Proof or 4142 Chrome Moly.

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 12:12:25 PM »
Hi, IMO why mess with making your own screws when most can be purchased from VTI for $4.50:

https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=67&cat=Pietta+1858+Remington%2C+Tiro

If one is serious about shooting BP revolvers, getting a complete screw set is not a big investment from Dixie:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/7850

While you are at it, a replacement part kit is also cheap from Cabelas:

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Pietta-Replacement-Black-Powder-Revolver-Parts-Kit/740233.uts?slotId=3

Some suggest hardened replacement screws. However, I have one question you need to ask, "would I rather have the revolver frame threads strip, or the screw?".  {L* {L* {L*

Regards,
Richard
Hi Richard,
     I made new screws for my gun because I wanted to design them with a shoulder so they can't pinch the frame. I bored out the frame on my 1858 so it would accept a tight fitting loading ram and now any pinch by the loading lever screw will seize it.
    As far as strength goes, I think most people desire a harder screw so the screwdriver slot doesn't get buggered as easy. Of course the best solution here is to use a proper fitting screwdriver.

Offline Prospector

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 03:33:14 PM »
Tanks guys for all the great replies.   
Thank you Richard for the great suggestions.  I will order a couple of spare sets of screws while they are still available.  I was thinking the same thing about the advantage soft screws.  I would rather have the screw strip out than the frame.   I did have to chase the threads on my frame with the correct size tapered tap, though, in order for the new screw to go in easily.   The threads in the Frame may have had some damage, but not nearly as much as the screw, but I think that most of what I cleaned out from the frame was part of the stripped out treads from the screw.

By the way, I purchased this Pietta Remington NMA from Early & Modern Firearms Co., Inc. (EMF Company, Inc.).   Less than a week ago I called them about the stripped out screw and they sent a new one to me, free of charge.   It arrived last Saturday, less than 5 days after I called them bout it on Monday afternoon.  I am very pleased with their service.    If I would have purchased it from one of the big box stores, I doubt that I would have received such a great outcome.   I would have either had to send the entire revolver back, or they would have told me to contact the manufacturer or distributor because they probably do not even have individual parts like screws, etc.

I also found out that EMF is owned by Pietta.   I have always had great experiences when i deal with Pietta, and this was no exception.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 03:37:25 PM by Prospector »