1858banner

Author Topic: 1858 spitting lead  (Read 241 times)

Offline johnfrommd

1858 spitting lead
« on: January 07, 2020, 01:03:45 PM »
I have two '58's a Uberti 8 inch and a Pietta 5.5 inch.  Both are great shooters with cap and ball and were somewhat with 45 Colt conversions.  However, the .45 Colt's were spitting lead which I figured had to be hurting their accuracy.

I use Lee 200 gn RFN bullets in all my .45.s.  It makes it easier to make lots of one type bullet and use one load for all.  I set one of my bullets in the throat and could see immediately why they were spitting lead.  The throat was way too narrow for the .452 bullet.  I reamed both guns and the spitting stopped and the accuracy got as good as the round balls. (one ragged hole at 20 yards from the bench)  _l   Additionally, the accuracy with cap and ball didn't change.

I just thought I would pass this on to those of you who use converters.

BTW, I also reamed out my .36 Navy and it tightened up the groups as well even with HBWC bullets.  {?|

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
Re: 1858 spitting lead
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 06:05:13 PM »
Hi johnfrommd, jump on over to the "Welcome Wagon" and tell us a few things about yourself. How did you find this Great Forum?
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Prospector

Re: 1858 spitting lead
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 10:00:22 AM »
Thanks John for the information.   Could you give more information about this?  Which conversion cylinders did you use?   Did you take measurements of the throats of the chamber cylinders before and after you reamed them?  How did you ream the cylinder chambers?  How did you determine when they had been reamed enough?

I see you have been a member hear for a few years.   Thanks for posting and letting us know of your experience.