1858banner

Author Topic: Black MZ .45 Colt load for 230 gr. lead bullet ?  (Read 127 times)

Offline fortyshooter

Black MZ .45 Colt load for 230 gr. lead bullet ?
« on: April 26, 2020, 08:53:20 AM »
I have these .452 dia. Speer 4691 230 gr. bullets that I would like to use with an MZ load which of course is not listed in Alliant data.

These bullets have .340 of the bullet inside the case when seated at correct depth vs. .370-.375 of a typical 250 gr. RN bullet I use.

Now looking at the Alliant data I have for Black MZ...I believe the amounts shown for various calibers are what it takes to get the specified bullet
to just touch the powder. This is what I see when I have loaded a 250 gr. RN .45 Colt bullet in a standard Colt case at the recommended load of 26.5 gr.
Alliant only list one load for a certain weight and style bullet with note of not to increase or decrease the powder load.

I happen to have some .45 Colt Hornady cases from the FTX ammo and these are .050 shorter than standard Colt 45 cases.
So for a test I found that it takes 25.9 gr. of MZ for the 230 gr. bullet to seat in same depth on top of powder as a 250 gr. bullet in standard case.

So would you think a safe load?

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Black MZ .45 Colt load for 230 gr. lead bullet ?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 09:51:51 AM »
I found that it takes 25.9 gr. of MZ for the 230 gr. bullet to seat in same depth on top of powder as a 250 gr. bullet in standard case.

So would you think a safe load?

That should be a very mild load.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 03:14:47 PM »
BMZ really does burn clean but it's not very energetic relative to most other subs.  Seems to like serious compaction.  Does not pour from flasks very well for me, it's about the consistency of kitty litter.  That stuff was $9.98/LB for a long time at Sportsman's Warehouse.  I was getting two pounds at a time and then went ahead and got six pounds at once and am now down to two.  All of their West Coast stores are out of stock except for Juneau, AK. so I guess the funs over for that stuff.

I have heard rumors that it is no longer being manufactured.  Anyone have the facts on that? 
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 05:30:51 PM »
I have heard rumors that it is no longer being manufactured.  Anyone have the facts on that?

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline fortyshooter

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 05:51:08 PM »
Alliant now has a Blue MZ which is a pellet type powder for muzzle loading rifles. Don't think that will work for BP revolvers.
I ordered 6 lbs  back in March of last year and got it for 9.95 a pound and have about half of the first pound left.